Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two words; IT'S ON

Need a new passenger side boot. New set of Toyota Brake pads. A new clutch cable ($ ouch:doh:). Oh well, since we are at it, I just might as well go the entire 99.9 yards.

BTW, recently, the son of my neighbor graduated from a leading mechanic school. Mec-Tech, guess which vehicles are his specialization, Yep, RAV4. He has already a list of clients. Their is already a waiting list.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"AND THE HITS JUST KEEP ON COMING IN", Part II

Both Clutch cables were trashed. Two new once, in tomorrow. :doh: They'll be blotting up the HD oil pump and passenger side boot. The clutch and engine mounts. :doh::doh: and the last think tomorrow would be instal those two cables.

To tell you the truth. you can see the quality in a small vehicle. I've hammered this RAV4, and I mean HAMMERED it. I knew these things were in these condition. Cost until now?

04438GBOOT KIT, FRONT DRIVE SHAFT INBOARD JOINT, RH $68.28

Zoom Clutch Summit racing $230.97

ENGINE MOUNTING, REAR 12371A 12371-74461 $71.32

INSULATOR, ENGINE MOUNTING, FRONT(FOR TRANSVERSE ENGINE) 12361A 12361-74340 $67.42

PUMP ASSY, OIL about 15100 15100-74050 $150.00

plus mechanic fees. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Oh, BTW, the two cables are a little expensive. That CC is screaming for mercy.

I

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
Oh, BTW, the two cables are a little expensive. That CC is screaming for mercy.
Why are there TWO clutch cables?

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, at 6:30PM, we've called it a day. Tired, filthy hands, and a lot of work still to go. But tomorrow, my mechanic along with his son, are on their own. I got to get to work. Tomorrow, the cables will be in, I hope before 12 noon. I'll be test driving about 3PM, I hope :roll:. The bill is getting more or less to $500.00. :shock: (yeah, I said the same.) BTW, that is for parts only, labor is extra, a big extra. :doh:

But man, its the first time I go into the engine since 1996. The rest was superficial labor.

Adding to the bill. Amsoil trans-axle oil (4Qts) with 3 qts of Quaker State oil 5W-30 and one Lucas oil stabilizer. Both oil coolers (engine and trans-axle) were retained.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Okay, gotcha. The passenger side CV boot. I was unconscious apparently, sorry.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A little problem. My mechanic found a very little and very very thin piece of square metal (I think it's aluminum BTW, it was thinner then aluminum foil) in the crank. Am I looking at new bearings also? Is this common in 3SFE? The rest was fine. Should I be looking for another engine?

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today after work I went around the garage. No one was their. So I went over to check on my RAV4. It had the battery inside the car. TRD Short Shifter was great, like new. Very short shift and solid shifts, both cables are new. Clutch was strong, Brakes were high. Engine mounts, also new. It had new oil inside the crank. But no one to charge me. Since its next door from my house, I can wait. oh parts, Pass $300.00 a long time ago. :roll: :doh:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
IT'S NO?????

Just wondering what your title has to do with all these repairs. :confused:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,973 Posts
IT'S NO????? Just wondering what your title has to do with all these repairs. :confused:
That's what he said when his wife told him to sell the RAV! :kiss

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another slight set back :doh: :roll:. Looks like the Oil/Trans-axle hose called it a career. :lol: They were leaking for some time know, but is was oh so slightly. Looks like with the movement of the thrashing engine and trans-axle.

The engine fired up like a rocket, no problem at all. But once I went around to take a look at the engine, I notice a leak shooting out of the engine oil cooler hose. I just shout it down. looks like the HI-Performance oil pump is working properly. :smile

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This morning, I went over to my neighbors garage and recovered some left over parts that, to my knowledge, are unusable. The shifter cables were toast, as you can see. I sat on the drivers seat and shifted the TRD Short Shifter and it was great. with minimum movement of the shifter the gears entered great. Today, I'm going to see if I can find the Oil Cooler hose I need at Pep Boys. If not, Summit Racing can have one here by Wednesday.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Christ, :roll: like always, people here thing that the rest of the population are stupid. In other words, "How can I make a fast buck" I tell the dude. Its a custom hose for an oil cooler Derale oil cooler.

They start asking; What year, model, is it from OEM? You know, the old run around because they don't have it. But they want to sell what they have, NOT what you need. WTH is wrong with this idiot?:mad: Let me see their is a store here called "La Casa del Tornillo". ("The house of nuts and bolts") Lets see if these dudes can help. :roll:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts