Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
You would only be benefiting the fuel company by paying more for something that isn't required. I'd stick to what our fuel-injected motors are designed to take, which is regular unleaded.

R

·
0 Posts
Ohhhhh I tend to disagree..... no need to go super premium but BP's Silver with an 89 octane level has never done me wrong!!!! SA and Holiday.... etc.... tend to have alot more ethanol in them and sum times other "engine cleaning" components.... HA! Engine CORRODING more like.... years ago a friend of mine got gas at a gas station that will remain nameless left and a few miles down the road her car died took it to the shop and the whole engine was trashed the gas station had a way too high mix of ethanol and it destroyed her engine.... needless to say she got a new car out of the deal but what a way to do it, eh?

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
87 regular is fine.
Isn't that just a marketing website?
Hardly. For your edification:

Top tier gasoline may help reduce the build-up of ‘gunk’ in the engine which comes from impurities in gas. These are broken down by adding high levels of detergents to the fuel. Top tier is also free of metallic additives, improving its quality. It is usually slightly more expensive than regular fuel, but only by a few cents per gallon. It was developed to protect the engines of cars with fuel injection technology. During the 80s and early 90s car manufacturers were reporting that the engines of cars with direct fuel injection were getting clogged with gunky build-ups, originating from impurities in gasoline. As a result, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) started regulating minimum levels of detergent that need to be present in gas to break down impurities, with the idea of improving fuel quality. Unfortunately, some suppliers reduced the amount of detergent in their gasoline to the specified minimum, reducing the overall quality of fuel available instead of increasing it. In the early nineties some of the world’s biggest auto manufacturers including Audi, BMW, General Motors, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, Honda and Toyota set higher benchmarks for top tier fuel. In order to brand their fuel as top tier gas, retailers must ensure that is has two to three times more detergent than the EPA minimum, which combats gunk build-up, and is free of metallic impurities which damage vehicle’s emission-control systems.

It is an expensive process to get the Top Tier stickers on the gas pumps. Here is more on that:
http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs/

Reactions: CB91710

·
Registered
258 Posts
From what I understand, high octane gas only benefits a high compression engine. It will work well in a standard engine, but you are just paying for something that you don't need. 87 octane is standard for lower elevations and then you can drop down to 85 octane in higher elevations. To me there is a difference between Top Tier Gas stations and Octane ratings. Whey you buy 87 octane gas you should be getting just about the same gas at any station. But a Top Tier station may add things like fuel system cleaners that the cheap stations won't. Buy at a Top Tier station but just use the octane gas that the manufacturer recommends or you are just wasting money.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
But a Top Tier station may add things like fuel system cleaners that the cheap stations won't.
There is no "may" about it. It is a requirement.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In other words, a large part of it is marketing.

There are several different companies in Canada for example that add high quality detergents in their gas but don't pay for the Top Tier licencing, because it costs extra to licence. It kind of reminds me of the THX specification of yesteryear for audio and video.

It is an expensive process to get the Top Tier stickers on the gas pumps.
Indeed, and part of that expense is paying for the licencing fees.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't purchase top tier gas unless I have to. I add my own fuel system cleaners every 5k when I do the scheduled PM. If I wasn't able to add my own, I would probably want to purchase top tier (at least on occasion) to keep the fuel system clean. Will keep doing so while I am able & enjoy it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I don't purchase top tier gas unless I have to. I add my own fuel system cleaners every 5k when I do the scheduled PM. If I wasn't able to add my own, I would probably want to purchase top tier (at least on occasion) to keep the fuel system clean. Will keep doing so while I am able & enjoy it.
Costco is anywhere between 10/30 cents cheaper and is Top Tier. A no brainier to fill with it... have full time cleaning. For those that thing it is a marketing ploy: I bought my Rav 2009 new. From day one it had that rotten egg smell pronounced when going up steep hills . Not until I switched to Top Tier did it stop.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts

There are several different companies in Canada for example that add high quality detergents in their gas but don't pay for the Top Tier licencing, because it costs extra to licence. It kind of reminds me of the THX specification of yesteryear for audio and video.

Indeed, and part of that expense is paying for the licencing fees.

They claim they add high quality detergents. Even if so, how much, how little? Those that participate in Top Tier status must meet the criteria and pay to do so after proving they have met the enhanced standards. As pointed out above many stations that are top tier have very low prices so I don't see it as being reflected in the per gallon (or per liter) pricing.

If you see it as marketing then so be it. I see it as a better standard for gasoline.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

There are several different companies in Canada for example that add high quality detergents in their gas but don't pay for the Top Tier licencing, because it costs extra to licence..
How would you find the Canadian companies that add the high quality detergents? Do you determine that because they said it on TV and so it has to be true?

After learning that the Top Tier rating guarantees the quality of the gas (and more than just the detergent levels), I have never purchased elsewhere.

Even though the licensing may cost the company extra, a quick check on the Gas Buddy app on my phone, shows that the Top Tier stations aren't charging any more at the pumps. Of course in my area the cost is down to about 83 cents per liter. When looking at the cost per gallon, small differences may become noticeable.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts