Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my auto transmission a540H that slips going up hills - then when you get to the top it's recovers.

I think it just needs more T-iv fluid - It sits around the low mark when testing properly (Warm and in Drive). I have ordered some from Toyota and I'm going to do a complete change (Well as much of complete as is possible)

Thing is they can't get any for week because of the holidays :roll: ...

I'm comfortable with the having to use T-iv fluid scenario however am I OK to put Dexron in just to top up and If so is this because it's OK to put a little in to top up or because I intend to change the fluid in the next couple of weeks.

ALSO - how do you clean the ATM filter

Thanks

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think you should use dexronIII in the place of the T4. The guys at the dealership told me that the transmissions will slip if you use dexron.

Paul

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it is probably right that you should never use anything other than T-iv even in emergencies.

The problem with the car was the ATM pan had taken a bang that had squashed the Oil strainer reducing it's surface area by over 95% - something to watch out for if you go off road

I now seem to have picked up a transmission code 73 - yet the gerabox works fine .... strange as there is no such thing as a 73 code??????????

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've never taken apart my RAV4s' automatics, but have serviced many other automatics in the past when working in a trans shop. If the filter is replaceable, definitely change it rather than trying to clean it. But don't be too surprised if the trans slips worse after changing the fluid and filter (and pan gasket). If so, then it is likely time for a very expensive rebuild!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts