Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random question regarding stock tyre sizes and gearing.
I see that the mk2 rav comes stock with one of two possible tyre sizes.
215/70 R16 and 235/60 R16 (in the uk anyway).
Are these two tyre sizes different enough to cause a noticeable difference in the overall gearing. If so do the rav4s with 215/70 come with a different gear box ratio than the 235/60? Are the tyre sizes interchangeable on any mk2 rav or should we stick to the stock size out rav4s came with?
I have no particular reason for asking other than curiosity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's the same here in the Netherlands as far as I know, 215/70 R16 for the steel rims and 235/60 R16 for the alloy wheels.
According to a online calculator there is difference of -2,69 percent, I doubt if there is a different gear box ratio because of the small differences between the two.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Same 2 tire sizes in Canada... but no change in transmission concerning this. There is 2 transmission models (manual) with differents gearing in RAV4.2, but it depends which engine (2.0L or 2.4L) is in the RAV4.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok cool. It's nice to know there is a little lee way on the tyre size. I can choose the right size and type for my driving needs without worrying too much.
My rav is the 2.0 vvti petrol engine, 5 speed manual.
I didn't know there was a 2.4 ... maybe it never made it to the UK.

·
Registered
481 Posts
In America we had the 2.0L from 2001-2003, and 2.4L for 2004-2005.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does it have to be 235?

On a related subject;

A couple of months ago I acquired a 2002, 3 door, 2.0l petrol RAV4.
It meets my needs very well.
The young(er) man I bought the car from was very proud of the big fat 235's on the car; an expensive brand.

Me; I don't plan to drive in the Artic or the Sahara, so I was thinking of putting on narrower (cheaper) tyres when the present ones are due for replacement. As I understand it I should be able to go down to 215's with the existing rims.
Has anyone experience of this?

Regards,
Colin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My understanding (after reading up a little ) is that you can play about with tyre size a fair bit as long as you keep the total rolling radius within an acceptable tolerance (usually within 3%) of the stock size as long as you don't end up with tyres rubbing.
The 215/70 R16 size comes stock on various RAV models so I say go for it if you are buying and you see a good deal.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The 235/60s are more expensive because they're not very common. You can fit 215 or 225/70s OK and I believe 235/70s are the biggest that will fit a std 4.2, which should all be cheaper. They are also all OK on the 7" alloys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 235/60s are more expensive because they're not very common. You can fit 215 or 225/70s OK and I believe 235/70s are the biggest that will fit a std 4.2, which should all be cheaper. They are also all OK on the 7" alloys.
Thank you for this information SlimJim.?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts