Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, we "were" subscribers to u-connect for the BASIC package of only $8.00 per month. My wife was looking through our bank statement and found a charge of $189.00 from u-connect. They billed us for a 1-year complete package without our consent. So wifey calls up u-connect and proceeds to give them a little piece of her thoughts. They said that they would reverse the charges - 10 days later - no reversal. So now we are disputing the charges with the bank.

With all the other issues we've had, Such a BIG mistake buying from Toyota.

·
Registered
728 Posts
If you dig deep into the fine print of the agreemeent, you may have inadvertently given them permission to renew you annually. That’s how those things work sometimes unless you change it.

No idea what U-Connect is.

·
Registered
770 Posts
A quick Google search got me to the following link, however, Toyota is not supported.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Oh, Toyota will charge your card if they get a hold of it and you give permission. I wanted to add one year to my Roadside Service. You do get 2 years free, but Toyota immediately charged my card for the "supposed" third year. I'm going to have to cancel the charge before the next May 5th so that they don't run a charge again. I don't want to pay until my 2 free years are up, so now I have to wait 3 years before I give them permission to charge my card again. I'm not even sure if I'm going to OWN my Rav4 in 3 years anyway with all the issues surrounding this car right now. What a clusterf*ck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He must owns FCA product as well as Toyota and got confused which one he paid for
Ya Ya - Sorry. I did own a Jeep previously.

Anyway, its that stupid connection service that Toyota offers with the Premium "Tec" package.

I did use the "complementary" service. But I had only subscribed to the $8.00 / monthly package. And have previously been billed correctly for $8.00 over the past few months. Someone decided to bill me for the FULL package of $180.00. Haven't even had the car for a full year. So it wasn't an annual benchmark.

Oh, Toyota will charge your card if they get a hold of it and you give permission.
Ya that is the "kicker". Permission "was" given for the $8.00. That is the only reason why the bank allowed the transaction of $180.00.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
7,447 Posts
There other subscription services hence the 189 cost

That's the old fee schedule for 2018, there is no service that renews for $189, I posted the current fee schedule. Destination Assist is still the same $8/$80. Renewal of Dynamic Nav costs more, but that wouldn't be until after the 3yr trial, it's on the Sep '18 fee schedule as $169 plus labor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Long story short, we "were" subscribers to u-connect for the BASIC package of only $8.00 per month. My wife was looking through our bank statement and found a charge of $189.00 from u-connect. They billed us for a 1-year complete package without our consent. So wifey calls up u-connect and proceeds to give them a little piece of her thoughts. They said that they would reverse the charges - 10 days later - no reversal. So now we are disputing the charges with the bank.

With all the other issues we've had, Such a BIG mistake buying from Toyota.
Just an observation in addition to those made by others here. U-Connect is not a Toyota brand. And, it's not Toyota that's selling this service, it's SiriusXM. And, they sell this service to all manufacturers (e.g., Nissan) that offer this suite of connection services. So, it's not fair to bash Toyota (unless that's the trolling point of this post....), you should comment on the practices of SiriusXM. If you've ever used their products before, you know that it is their STANDARD PRACTICE to bill in aggressive, punitive ways. They have made this their business model for years. The ever-declining rate of subscriptions to their old-world satellite radio service (with its mediocre quality compared to streaming over cellular) makes this business model a "survival model." The introduction of the bundled package of "connected services" (they are all the same across brands and are generally known as "telematics" services) by SiriusXM in the past 3-4 years means that lots more people buying all brands of cars will be exposed to their billing practices. My advice (for what it's worth) is this: 1) don't subscribe to SiriusXM. Ever. 2) Subscribe to the telematics services you want (like the $80 a year product which is a reasonable deal), but MONITOR YOUR CREDIT CARD BILLINGS and pounce on it if you see any hanky-panky (and you usually will). I suggest using AmEx for the billing because they are the most aggressive in supporting their customers with charge backs.

In short, this aggressive billing practice is SiriusXM's doing, not the auto manufacturer's. If you can't stand the "heat" of having to monitor your credit card statements, then I suggest you don't buy any connected service from this company. Oh, and may I suggest that you consider saying something nice/good/positive about the car and brand that you yourself chose to buy, at least once in a while. :) Otherwise you risk looking a bit foolish for buying something that you hate so much then posting troll-like messages about how bad the product you chose to buy is as if you somehow weren't involved in that transaction and you "took no time to look before you took the leap." Just saying.

Good luck and I hope this info helps someone. Peace.

[Oh, and we really, really like our 2019 RAV4 Hybrid...we've even ordered another one...we consistently get 40+ mpg and the car meets all our other needs and, yes, we have the gas-tank issue but we're not panicked about it or storming the castle demanding to return the car. It's all about balance and perspective, not constant complaints in our family. We work on building up a good relationship with the dealership so that they want to make us happy rather than wanting us to get the heck out of their service bay. ]

·
Registered
53 Posts
All connected services with the RAV4 in Australia are free of charge, including traffic advice and Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just an observation in addition to those made by others here. U-Connect is not a Toyota brand. And, it's not Toyota that's selling this service, it's SiriusXM. And, they sell this service to all manufacturers (e.g., Nissan) that offer this suite of connection services. So, it's not fair to bash Toyota (unless that's the trolling point of this post....), you should comment on the practices of SiriusXM. If you've ever used their products before, you know that it is their STANDARD PRACTICE to bill in aggressive, punitive ways. They have made this their business model for years. The ever-declining rate of subscriptions to their old-world satellite radio service (with its mediocre quality compared to streaming over cellular) makes this business model a "survival model." The introduction of the bundled package of "connected services" (they are all the same across brands and are generally known as "telematics" services) by SiriusXM in the past 3-4 years means that lots more people buying all brands of cars will be exposed to their billing practices. My advice (for what it's worth) is this: 1) don't subscribe to SiriusXM. Ever. 2) Subscribe to the telematics services you want (like the $80 a year product which is a reasonable deal), but MONITOR YOUR CREDIT CARD BILLINGS and pounce on it if you see any hanky-panky (and you usually will). I suggest using AmEx for the billing because they are the most aggressive in supporting their customers with charge backs.

In short, this aggressive billing practice is SiriusXM's doing, not the auto manufacturer's. If you can't stand the "heat" of having to monitor your credit card statements, then I suggest you don't buy any connected service from this company. Oh, and may I suggest that you consider saying something nice/good/positive about the car and brand that you yourself chose to buy, at least once in a while. :) Otherwise you risk looking a bit foolish for buying something that you hate so much then posting troll-like messages about how bad the product you chose to buy is as if you somehow weren't involved in that transaction and you "took no time to look before you took the leap." Just saying.

Good luck and I hope this info helps someone. Peace.

[Oh, and we really, really like our 2019 RAV4 Hybrid...we've even ordered another one...we consistently get 40+ mpg and the car meets all our other needs and, yes, we have the gas-tank issue but we're not panicked about it or storming the castle demanding to return the car. It's all about balance and perspective, not constant complaints in our family. We work on building up a good relationship with the dealership so that they want to make us happy rather than wanting us to get the heck out of their service bay. ]
Great points!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The OP is clearly so angry he’s mixing up different car services, but charging 10 months of service at the monthly rate instead of a year does seem presumptive. Next time be smart and never, NEVER sign up for a reoccurring bill through your debt account! Get a visa and do it on a credit card. If there’s a dispute, call visa and say the bill was fraudulent and you want it investigated. If you let people take money out of your bank account when they want, it’s gone! Seriously, this was not a smart move. It doesn’t matter what your logic is, you broke it when you gave a company the right to directly charge your bank account. For XM I pay yearly so I can complaint about the cost once a year, and I pay with my credit card. Never do monthly. It’s a slow boil approach they know you won’t notice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts