Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had two of the bolts break off when I went to take them out, so I'm not looking forward to resolving this.

I also noticed a lot of grime and maybe a leak on the rear of the driver side transmission. I can't tell if it's coming from either the diff or transfer case that is directly behind it. Is there a known seal that goes bad?

·
Registered
162 Posts
lefty-loosey : righty-tighty.......right?, just mak'n sure. Trans pan bolt torque spec= 67 inch lbs. You the first one in there? when you get yourself out of that jam, go get a gasket from the dealer only $36, i say only, cause i do many and its the quality that makes the difference in that area...do it right the first time.

try this..............> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KN9YVWA?psc=1

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I was using my cordless Milwaukee impact and it took off about four without any issues. I've used it on everything and all four of my cars without any issues like this and I believe I'm the first person in there since the car was built. I think the time, rust, Loctite, and what not just made them kind of flimsy. I was thinking of trying some left handed drill bits first.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
The pan bolts are not that strong and the threads are very fine. I heard stories about the pan bolts breaking so on my 05 RAV4 I avoided doing it. On my 09 RAV4 since it was newer I decided to tackle dropping the pan. I decided to spray penetrating oil to all the bolts and let it soak in. I used a combo wrench to remove the bolts very slowly with some penetrating oil sprayed in between. When reinstalling the bolts I used a nut driver which is very safe since there is less chance of over torquing the bolts. I rechecked the bolts and had to tighten each bolt again the next day but there was no sign of any leaks. I would never use an impact tool to remove those pan bolts because of what others have experienced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I probably should have read a little bit more for "lessons learned" before attempting this. I broke my foot and will be having surgery on Monday, so I won't be able to attempt to fix this just yet. I did purchase all new fasteners and will use some penetrating oil and some heat from my torch to loosen the bolts up next go around. Then hopefully will be able to get the remaining threads out. I've used my 1/4 impact on everything without any issues, so I guess it was time for something to go wrong.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Yea, I probably should have read a little bit more for "lessons learned" before attempting this. I broke my foot and will be having surgery on Monday, so I won't be able to attempt to fix this just yet. I did purchase all new fasteners and will use some penetrating oil and some heat from my torch to loosen the bolts up next go around. Then hopefully will be able to get the remaining threads out. I've used my 1/4 impact on everything without any issues, so I guess it was time for something to go wrong.
Good luck Monday!:smile

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was using my cordless Milwaukee impact
Your first big mistake was the above. Slowly taking them out by a hand socket wrench is the way to do it, adding a blip of Mapp gas heat to the bolt head with a 30 second delay before trying to unscrew it will help too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts