Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after putting about 3000 miles in the last 4 months on my Rav (I do 8 hours drives across dirt/rock roads and asphalt in Guatemala) I have had a major problem.

Doing about 50 mph on asphalt the oil light came on accompanied by a light tapping noise. Having recently checked oil I pulled off the road and stopped the car. When I pulled the dip stick and saw half full, I topped off with my usual oil.

I was in a poor location so I had to try and move, I have an OBDII reader and it sends Info to my head unit but nothing was showing. I tried to crank the engine, it turned over, started, oil light off then promptly died. Then refused to do anything, the starter engages but no turn, a few hours later I was on a flatbed to my mechanic.

Dead oil pump, extensive scratching, and it needs a new engine or complete overhaul. I am currently looking for another engines imported from Japan with low mileage.

So after feeling annoyed at myself for letting this happen I want to improve my engine maintenence/Intuition skills, it was probably overdue for a complete oil change and I assume this is why my oil pump stopped working.

I have a haynes manual on the way and I will carry some basic tools/oils/fluids, but I wanted to know what engine service intervals do you follow?
Are there any pitfalls I can be made aware of with installing a different 2az engine? And what compression readings should I look for.

Thanks,
Chris.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You can use a 2AZ from a different vehicle, but you may have to swap some parts. I used a 2AZ from a Camry, and had to change the timing chain cover (different motor mounts), and the valve cover. The Camry valve cover don't have the threaded holes to bolt the RAV4 air filter box.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would be skeptical that oil alone caused the oil pump failure.
How many total miles were on the engine? How many since last oil change?

Modern engine oil is typically good for longer periods than is regularly changed. Amsoil recommends 15K intervals for my application, Blackstone Laboratories recommended 10K initially and reaffirm thereafter. I continue 3K intervals anyway (shrug).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update, I had my car returned to me with a replacement 2az installed and took it out for a test drive. All seemed to be running well so I started my first 300km journey to give it a real test. About 60kms in it lost power and when I pulled off the highway it stalled. Called the mechanic and he got me to check oil level which was full and he asked if it started. I tried cranking it with him on the phone and it started but sounded weak with a tak-tak-tak-tak noise as well.

Onto a flatbed tow truck back to the mechanic yesterday. Today they started pulling it apart and have just informed me the crankshaft bearings are trashed, they are going to see the extent of the damage now, thankfully still under the 30 day 'guarantee'

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, they are going to have to swap the engine, again, but they are trying to say I drove it incorrectly, and by flooring it, the rise in rpms knackered the big end bearings and they may choose to rebuild. 🙄

Edit: Thankfully they will swap it out with another.

20200201_152231.jpg

20200201_151639.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts