Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I thought rust on the threads of the suspension arms was the reason for the last recall. Or was it the one before that.....?
I'm so confused.:confused::confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
I saw this the other day and scratched my head in wonder...... So now do they rip off the epoxy "fix" and replace the suspension arm assemblies? If so can one get a four wheel alignment again???? I hope more information is forthcoming soon.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
This recall doesn't show for my '11 RAV on the Toyota Owners site. From the publicity it appears to be a recall of the previous rear suspension recall . . One effect of these recalls seems to be beneficial for Toyota dealers since those who go to dealers for recall work likely will also have servicing work done at the same time. :wink

·
Registered
934 Posts
It is on Safecar for my RAV4's VIN and also on the Toyota owners website. Maybe yours isn't included in this recall.
I had the recall done 3 times...one TSB. It does not show for me on safecar or Toyota's site. There needs to be clarification on this. Question: did you have the recall done the last time?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No I have not taken it in for the previous recall. That was recall I.D.# CSJ where they would put epoxy on the tie rod end nuts. The tie rod threads could have corrosion if they were torqued incorrectly after getting an alignment. My RAV has never had an alignment. I inspected my tie rod nuts and threads and there is no corrosion. The recall just issued is I.D. # G0V. It says that the dealer will replace BOTH suspension arms and do an alignment. I plan to have this done. I read this somewhere " Due to limitations in parts, the recall remedy will be launched in phases. " This may be the reason some owners VIN doesn't show up on the Safercar or Toyota owner sites.

·
Registered
934 Posts
No I have not taken it in for the previous recall. That was recall I.D.# CSJ where they would put epoxy on the tie rod end nuts. The tie rod threads could have corrosion if they were torqued incorrectly after getting an alignment. My RAV has never had an alignment. I inspected my tie rod nuts and threads and there is no corrosion. The recall just issued is I.D. # G0V. It says that the dealer will replace BOTH suspension arms and do an alignment. I plan to have this done. I read this somewhere " Due to limitations in parts, the recall remedy will be launched in phases. " This may be the reason some owners VIN doesn't show up on the Safercar or Toyota owner sites.
No recall CSJ was the replacement of arms:

Toyota dealers are requested to inspect the rear lower suspension arms using the newly
developed procedure. If any rust is found on the internal threaded portion of the arm(s), the
arm will be replaced. After the inspection or replacement, the rear suspension alignment will
be set and the arms will be sealed with an epoxy. Labels will also be applied stating the arm is
no longer adjustable. The above actions will be performed at NO CHARGE to the customer.
Additionally, if Safety Recall C0J was previously completed, the dealer will discard the warning
labels, clips, and owner’s manual supplement previously provided.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInf...n/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/cp/c2jtofaq.pdf

Can you post what the recall says on your Toyota site?

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
focus123 : Here's what my Toyota Owner's site states.

Safety Recalls

Title
Safety Recall G0V - Remedy Notice Certain 2006 to 2011 RAV4 Vehicles Rear Lower Suspension Arm (No. 1) Assemblies

Status
Remedy Available

Description
In the earlier action, if the nuts for adjusting rear wheel alignment were improperly tightened when an alignment was performed, rust could form on suspension arm threads. If this occurs, and if the condition is not identified and remedied during servicing or repair under the existing remedy procedure, the threads can wear over time, causing the arm to separate, which could result in a loss of vehicle control.

Remedy
The remedy will involve the replacement of BOTH suspension arms and encasing them in epoxy. An alignment will be performed, as well, and warning labels will be applied.

Recall Date
August 10, 2016
Dealer Reference ID
G0V
NHTSA Reference ID
AWAITING#

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
So this "new" procedure sounds just like the old epoxy band-aid fix.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. Recall G0V reads like they're throwing in the towel on all previous repairs and now will replace both suspension arms. I don't know how many RAV4's get new arms but it sounds like a big deal. It says it takes 3 hours to replace arms. Here's the link.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInf...n/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/cp/g0vtofaq.pdf
Ok thanks CRM this explains what they are doing. They are rounding up everyone that has not had the arms replaced and try and get them to do this band-aid fix.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
beneficial for Toyota dealers since those who go to dealers for recall work likely will also have servicing work done at the same time. :wink
Funny...but I don't usually go to the dealer for oil changes. But it seems ours is going in for a recall with about the same frequency of an oil change(low mileage) so I've just been having them do it while it's in...

·
Registered
37 Posts
It seems like the correct fix would be a tie rod that didn't rust and not need epoxy at all. After all we've been making tie rods for 100 years with no problems. There must be so many of these in inventory that they can't justify ditching all of them. So instead they are going to replace all of the old defective arms with new defective arms with epoxy. Hope you never need a 4 wheel alignment because now you can only align the front tires.

·
Registered
403 Posts
During the last recall of the recall my dealer replaced BOTH arms. Does this exclude me from this recall?:shrug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I checked the Toyota owner's website and it doesn't list this recall for my VIN, my RAV4 already had the 'epoxy fix' so I bet the comments are right in that Toyota is trying to catch the stragglers.

Would be nice to get new hardware that would allow for 4 wheel alignments.

·
Registered
37 Posts
During the last recall of the recall my dealer replaced BOTH arms. Does this exclude me from this recall?
Yes , I think you are all finished with this recall. Based on what I have read your arms were replaced because they had already started to rust so it was to late to just apply epoxy to keep the water out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts