Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Let us call it "mad looking." :wink I like mine!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Rav4 are a great looking car BUT what did Toyota try to do with the 2016-not to insult any body, but its sadlooking or mad looking front end. sorry:frown
How could you not like a car that looks like a Star Wars Storm Trooper?

Reactions: Leonard1818

·
Registered
8,526 Posts

LOL - Did Toyota pay royalties to George Lucas and to Disney for using their design? :D

Reactions: Lena

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are you kidding me? It's a enormous improvement...I wouldn't even consider buying the 2013-15 RAV4. It was so bland and safe...Like an old Pontiac.

The 2016 cosmetic changes all around: front, sides, back, and inside, makes the RAV4 a much stronger small SUV contender.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Hmm- Toyota's RAV4 still can't seem to overcome the Honda CR-V's number one U.S. sales status . . .

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are you kidding me? It's a enormous improvement...I wouldn't even consider buying the 2013-15 RAV4. It was so bland and safe...Like an old Pontiac.
So what are you saying about all the Owners (like me) of the 13, 14 & 15 RAV? Are you saying we have no taste? >:D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hmm- Toyota's RAV4 still can't seem to overcome the Honda CR-V's number one U.S. sales status . . .
According to recent sales figures, you are quite mistaken. The RAV4 has held the top sales spot in North America for at least every one of the last 6 months straight (I've been watching), and is - not surprisingly - leading the pack for the year.

Here are the most recent sales figures for May, with a nice chart at the bottom:

Toyota RAV4 extended compact crossover sales lead while Ford Escape leaps into second [Sales Report] – The Fast Lane Car

To be fair, I think the CR-V had the most sales for last year in total, but since around November their sales lead has fallen noticeably. My guess is the significant vibration problems they've had with their new drivetrain (CVT, eeeeewwww!!!), their lack of responsiveness to that, and overall customer perception of reduced quality due to that has a quite a bit to do with their loss of the sales lead.

Reactions: LongRifle

·
Registered
65 Posts
2013 was pot ugly! Looked cheap and nasty. Was intending to trade my 2010 at that time but took one look at the new 2013, then walked away. As I say, cheap and cheesy looking (I thought) and said so to the sales manager. Just traded up to 2016 Rav4 XLE, vast improvement. Each to there own I guess.

Reactions: LongRifle

·
Registered
846 Posts
So what are you saying about all the Owners (like me) of the 13, 14 & 15 RAV? Are you saying we have no taste? >:D
No, either you didn't have a crystal ball in front of you or you needed a highly reliable compact SUV/CUV at that time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WIN262, yes the looks are truly in the eyes of the beholder. that's why some guys like "blonde s and some guys like red heads and some like brunette ladies"the beholder is his satisfaction.

·
Registered
65 Posts
WIN262, yes the looks are truly in the eyes of the beholder. that's why some guys like "blonde s and some guys like red heads and some like brunette ladies"the beholder is his satisfaction.
Not applicable to me....I like em all?. Cars? Not so much...

·
Registered
134 Posts
2013 was pot ugly! Looked cheap and nasty. Was intending to trade my 2010 at that time but took one look at the new 2013, then walked away. As I say, cheap and cheesy looking (I thought) and said so to the sales manager. Just traded up to 2016 Rav4 XLE, vast improvement. Each to there own I guess.
As a proud owner of a 2013 XLE i don't find my ride to be pot ugly, cheap, nasty or cheesy. I happen to like it and i also happen to like the 2016 as well. It's ok to have your own opinion but maybe that might have been going a little to far on a Rav4 forum :smile

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Say what you like about the Rav's mug shot, but at least it doesn't look anything like the Tacoma or 4Runner. Those are BFUgly front ends.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
According to recent sales figures, you are quite mistaken. The RAV4 has held the top sales spot in North America for at least every one of the last 6 months straight (I've been watching), and is - not surprisingly - leading the pack for the year.

Here are the most recent sales figures for May, with a nice chart at the bottom:

Toyota RAV4 extended compact crossover sales lead while Ford Escape leaps into second [Sales Report] – The Fast Lane Car

To be fair, I think the CR-V had the most sales for last year in total, but since around November their sales lead has fallen noticeably. My guess is the significant vibration problems they've had with their new drivetrain (CVT, eeeeewwww!!!), their lack of responsiveness to that, and overall customer perception of reduced quality due to that has a quite a bit to do with their loss of the sales lead.

From USA today regarding 2015 sales:

"Honda CR-V vs. Toyota RAV4
No segment has been hotter in the auto industry than small crossovers, and Honda came out the winner. It sold 314,462 of its CR-Vs through the first 11 months of the year, up 3.9%. Those sales might have been higher if Honda hadn't slotted another, smaller SUV under the CR-V, the new HR-V.
The real fight is for second place. Toyota sold 283,546 RAV4s, up 15.9%, only 5,008 more than Ford with its compact Escape, which saw sales go flat during the period, down 0.7%".

I was using the total sales figures from last year (2015). So far in 2016 the RAV4 leads, as you noted. It will be interesting to see what the actual year end figures are for 2016. I think that you're correct about the CR-V vibration problems, and we have some friends who are disappointed after having bought the current generation CR-Vs for other reasons as well. But there seem to be many more current generation CR-Vs than RAVs on the road here. Complicating Honda's sales picture is their HR-V, which through April 2016 had sold 22,484 units and many of those buyers may have chosen the CR-V had the HR-V not been available.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My thoughts exactly the first I laid eyes on the thing. But the 2013-15 version looks sportier, more Rav4 looking like a bigger version of the 4.2. This one, it's like the 4.3, the "sporty" look faded.

But I still like it, because Storm Trooper. :) And it looks tasty in oem dark burgundy color.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts