Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Limited V6 AWD
...seemed like an easy thing...replace struts....now, when driving...massive clunking ....both sides...more pronounced over bumps..
At first, I thought it was from using TEMA4x4 40mm lift...so, I removed spacer, same problem. It kinda rotational-ish sounding...what could I have done?? Any axle issue i could have created or fix by disassembly and reassembly??

Really need help on this one...

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Check if the sway bar links are connected properly. They do have an allen key hole which may need to be tighten at the same time as the end link bolts. Pull the sway bar links to see if you hear any noise while the wheel is still on the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was pretty sure they are tight...since a fixed length...not complicated..

I did have an idea...for the fun of it, with vehicle on ground, I went to re-tighten the main nut from the mount to the strut..it spins...that seems odd. I looked at the old mount, and no way that should spin.
I perhaps over tightened and ruined the new mounts??

I will check into that tomorrow, as Labor day has been just that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK...so, put new Deeza endlinks, took struts apart for about the 6th time.

I think I might be doing a wrong mount to strut install...

I have watched videos of bearing plates and the mount being put on....seems easy. BUT I am getting noise on bumps and have seen the nut/shaft move up/down when I rock the fender...
I have followed what I thought was right for tightening...had firm, loosen some spring pressure and torque to about 35ftlb. Just like on videos...seems clear.

THE BIG QUESTION now....should I really super compress the spring so the mount sits on top of the flat "platform"(see pic) on the shaft?? The odd part for me is; wouldn't the coil(with 100K) push back and keep the mount from slamming down on the "platform".

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOLVED....upon R&R struts again,I compressed the spring an additional 2 inches from my previous tries. Holding the strut and compressor upright, I could feel the positive connection with the mount and the strut rod. Before, I was just resting it on the bearing plate, thinking this was low enough. Watching 20+ youtube videos of various struts, they never show this detail...(meaning compressing enough to remove mount with no pressure on it is NOT enough compressing to install a new one flat on the strut rod 'platform'.) So, learn from my 1st strut experience.

also, will wait on tema4x4 lift, just have to get over this week long strut mess...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been dealing with this same issue! Taking the struts out yet another time to try your solution; I likely wasn't compressing the spring enough and wasn't getting my new mounts to seat properly. Hoping that it works! I'll follow up when I'm done

·
Registered
2 Posts
It worked! I think I was weary to compress the springs more than what I thought to be necessary (just loose enough to remove mount with no pressure), especially with a sketchy spring compressor. An extra inch or so was enough so that I could get the mount all the way down to seat properly, then hand tightened with an extra few clicks of the ratchet so that it stayed put, released the spring and installed. Incredibly relieved to have that clunking noise gone for good and my front end is nice and tight now! Thank you so much.

That advice should get stickied onto any thread about front strut replacements!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts