Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings future friends (I think). If things go as planned, tomorrow I'll be the owner of a titanium 2005 "L". I've been browsing around for a good forum to belong to and this looks like the most active and compotent one.

This'll be my first SUV, first Toyota, first new car, first foreign car, and first non-V8! :D I currently have a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood and just dropped a crate LT1 383 stroker in it. I love that car but I need something else.

One of my best friend's aunts is Nancy Fein (namedrop) and he's persuaded me to go Toyota. I've spent 4 months deciding and it came down to an AWD Matrix, or the Rav4L. So tomorrow I go get it.

I plan on using this thing to go camping, a lot. Hopefully some of your guys do also and have made threads about suspension 'n stuff. I live in Arizona and have manipulated friends with 4x4s to go camping with me just so I can use their vehicles. But now (I hope) I'll be able to go almost anywhere. I know very little about this vehicle but from what I have heard, it is an amazing little SUV. About the only mods I care to do right now is a decent stereo. From reading some of your posts, I guess the speakers suck and so does the reciever. I'll soon be looking for a nice MP3-playing unit that lets me use the steering controls. I guess one of the options is the Scion unit.

Don't worry, I'm an old-school forum user. I've belonged to ImpalaSSForum.com for about 4 years now so I know how to search. :)

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I can't wait to be a Rav4 owner!!!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've done some mild off-roading in mine (and I have a dent in the oil pan to prove it), but I don't expect it to be a real 4WD for hardcore stuff. It will handle more than just dirt roads (I've driven across streams, rocky wash-outs and up steep inclines) but since it has no low range gearbox it is not for rock crawling or mudding. But if I did that I would have gotten a 4Runner or Tacoma.

However, the great majority of so-called "off roading" stuff like camping, boating, fishing, hiking, etc. does not really require a full-on 4WD truck, so the Rav4 is fit for the job. Looks are deceiving, because it actually has decent ground clearance (compared to other SUV's today) and since it is small it can fit nicely between the trees and turn around more easily on the trails. But where it really shines is in the snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, that is exactly what I plan on doing with it as well. Just minor little outings on dirt roads 'n stuff. I just visit national parks or explore back roads. I have no intentions in keeping up with Jeeps.

Your snow comment makes me happy. I'm from Phoenix, but am visiting my parents in Spokane Washington for the next month and it is snowing like crazy outside. We got like 7 inches today. I've got a 40 mile drive from the dealership to my parent's house, the Rav has no snow tires and I moved away from this town before I was 16 and have never driven in snow! :cry: I certainly hope I get her home safe!

·
Registered
875 Posts
dont' really know what to say other than, "welcome and i hope you enjoy this forum." lots of work has been put into it by kelly and there's tons of information here, so use it. hope to see you in the threads. you'll love your car and i can imagine you'll keep finding new storage compartments as you use the car more and more. they keep popping up. i had my car for 2 yrs before i found another storage bin. now what will you put in your secret stash?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also had a and still do have a big V-8 ford F-150 and needed something for my long commute each day so the rav4 was put into action and low and behold its goes and goes right through the heavy deep snow no problem check out my album and see.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Welcome to the Club :D

I really luv my Rav. Handles great on the roads, it's well built, not to big and heavy and not to small. The AWD system is just awesome to have on/off road and in the winter (especially with snow tires).
She's also quite stable when loaded down with items inside.
With the 27" tires you'll luv the clearance.
At my farm the wheels roll quite well over bumpy terrain.
I have a set of Ford Probe Summer Wheels next to my Summer RAV's Enkeis' and you would think that the Probes' came off a go cart :lol:

And from the first time I’ve seen it i still think it's a beautiful car to look at. Oh man I think I am going to cry :? :roll:

You must remember the great road qualities (responsive stiff handling) will make the ride a bit harder and bumpy than some other 4X4's on the rough dirt roads.

You're going to luv your RAV :wink:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I picked it up the other night. Dealer came & got me, worked with some very nice folks, got the best financing and drove home in the snow passing all the fools in their lifted 4x4s that had spun out on the side of the road.

There's a pic in my Album. Nothing special. Just a silver 2005 "L".

A

·
0 Posts
Rejuvesite said:
Greetings future friends (I think). If things go as planned, tomorrow I'll be the owner of a titanium 2005 "L". I've been browsing around for a good forum to belong to and this looks like the most active and compotent one.

This'll be my first SUV, first Toyota, first new car, first foreign car, and first non-V8! :D I currently have a 1994 Cadillac Fleetwood and just dropped a crate LT1 383 stroker in it. I love that car but I need something else.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I can't wait to be a RAV4 owner!!!!
welcome and glad you joined :D

Wow, quite an engine i bet. are you happy with the Rav4's power? ZPIRacing can alter their tC turbo kit or the TRD supercharger if you're wanting more power...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'm actually OK with the "power" those 4 cylinders make. :? I checked out those chargers though. ~300hp for a Rav, wow.

I'm mostly interested in offroadish stuff. I have a feeling I'll need a winch. I am scared that I'm going to try something stupid in this thing and find myself stuck in some sand! :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts