Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know we over in the UK have not got our hands on the New One!!! This is a summary of a review in the Sun which appeared on Friday 3rd Feb.
He starts by saying there are 1.83 million reasons why Toyota have a lot riding in the new Rav4. He says on first sight the new one makes less impact, it is larger but not as neat and is a little anonymous. It grew on him in the 2 day test. Toyota make no secret of their desire to take it more upmarket, they are aiming it ahead of Honda CRV Nissan XTrail and L/R Freelander and want to take on the BMW X3. It matches the X3 on build quality performance and equipement and realiability.
He goes on about it being roomier with 47% more boot space and a new rear seat folding system. Also the fact they have dropped the 3 door model. He says the previous model was critised for being noisy underperforming and lacked interior space but now that has been redressed on this model. He says new suspension and extra power for the petrol and 2 diesel engines is immediately noticable. The petrol engine is more refined and the bigger diesel 174bhp offers better performance.Now comes the STING the price the entry level petrol and diesel are competitively tagged at £18995 and £21495 respectiely but he wonders that £26995 for the T180 flagship is too steep for a Rav4. He finishes the article by saying Toyota have proved in the past they know exacly what customers want and are willing to pay for it. He ends by saying the new Rav4 posseses all the qualities of the past plus quite a bit more so it should remain a winner.
Clare

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
I'd love to post a link to the article for everyone to read, but The Sun runs a pay/subscription model for "archived" (it's from the 3rd!!!) articles... boo. :evil:

Thanks for the post Clare! :D Otherwise the world may never have known about it...

D

·
0 Posts
Re: UK Press review of new RAV4.3 (Sun Newspaper)

clare said:
As you know we over in the UK have not got our hands on the New One!!! This is a summary of a review in the Sun which appeared on Friday 3rd Feb.

He says new suspension and extra power for the petrol and 2 diesel engines is immediately noticable. The petrol engine is more refined and the bigger diesel 174bhp offers better performance.Now comes the STING the price the entry level petrol and diesel are competitively tagged at £18995 and £21495 respectiely but he wonders that £26995 for the T180 flagship is too steep for a RAV4. He finishes the article by saying Toyota have proved in the past they know exacly what customers want and are willing to pay for it. He ends by saying the new RAV4 posseses all the qualities of the past plus quite a bit more so it should remain a winner.
Clare
I think the diesels are a big step forward (these will probably be the big sellers) The old diesel was quite dated. However the only automatic is the two litre petrol and this just not what the people expect in an upmarket SUV. A t3 (lowest uk spec ) auto with satnav (you have to have part-leather seats as well) is £22K or over ($38,000) 0-60 in 12 seconds no way!

Quite frankly if I am spending around that sort of money I think I am better off getting a two year old Lexus RX300 with 3 litres under the bonnet than 150 bhp 4 pot. It's up to Toyota though - I could be tempted by a V6 or a higher power diesel auto.
:lol:

D

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
wonder why the 2.4 twin cam 4 banger is not available over there?? Its plenty fast and quite an amazing lil engine.
If they bring it to the UK Flyingn I will be more than happy to try it out! :D

S

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
wonder why the 2.4 twin cam 4 banger is not available over there?? Its plenty fast and quite an amazing lil engine.

i can tell you that 90% of my customers would get 2.0 over 2.4, due to consumption. It would be hard to sell 2.4 later on because of consumption as well.

Thats why most ppl will get new diesels...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts