Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Ultra Racing Strut Tower Bar yesterday. The installation was a breeze with the right tools. Remove the front two nuts at the top of the strut tower on both sides. Shimy the strut bar into place. Thread the nuts back on and tighten and you're done.

- 14mm Socket
- 3/8 Drive Universal Joint
- 3" Extension
- 3/8 Drive Ratchet

Initial impression after installation is that the front end is more responsive on turn-in, and front end also feels a bit more more planted while cornering on uneven road surface.

According to the manufacturer this part is desinged specifically for the '07 RAV4 2.4. I had zero fitment issues on my 2008 V6 RAV4.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Interesting! What's the product code number, please?

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
I've had that on my '08 Limited for about five years or so along with their larger rear anti sway bar. Hard cornering at excessive speed yields a sharp and flat (very little body roll) response. The only negative is that it has to come off to service the air filter.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've had that on my '08 Limited for about five years or so along with their larger rear anti sway bar. Hard cornering at excessive speed yields a sharp and flat (very little body roll) response. The only negative is that it has to come off to service the air filter.
Is your RAV4 4WD? If so, do you recall the part number for their rear anti sway bar?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you get the part from a Canadian distributor? Care to share if yes? Thanks.
I'd love to share... Got it from the EBay seller "japmoto2013"

Price was $151.00 USD which includes shipping.

Only took 11 days to get here, which I think is pretty darn fast as I think they're based out of Asia.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
I don't recall what I paid for either part. The vendor was just a start up then and it was a while back.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'd love to share... Got it from the EBay seller "japmoto2013"

Price was $151.00 USD which includes shipping.

Only took 11 days to get here, which I think is pretty darn fast as I think they're based out of Asia.
Thank you for the link. Who's the carrier, FedEx? How badly were you dinged for custom brokerage fee & taxes? Final CDN$ cost, in your hand?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
A strut tower bar almost ALWAYS increase under steer. Most cars understeer from the factory. A front strut tower bar is counter productive when trying to tune the suspension to ride "neutral".

That said, that is one clean looking bar. With tons of clearance and no rubbing. A front strut tower bar does tighten up the steering feel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the link. Who's the carrier, FedEx? How badly were you dinged for custom brokerage fee & taxes? Final CDN$ cost, in your hand?

Thanks in advance.
If memory serves me right it was UPS through Purolator. It's a little complicated but any UPS shipments to this region are carried by Purolator as UPS doesn't have infrastructure setup here. That said, I had it shipped to my office so it usually gets received by someone on my behalf. There was no mention of brokerage or any additional fees.

If it had originated from the USA and come to me via UPS I would most certainly had been charged additional fees for brokerage.

If I'm having anything shipped from the USA to Canada I try to have it shipped via USPS whenever possible to avoid those kinds of surprises.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A strut tower bar almost ALWAYS increase under steer. Most cars understeer from the factory. A front strut tower bar is counter productive when trying to tune the suspension to ride "neutral".

That said, that is one clean looking bar. With tons of clearance and no rubbing. A front strut tower bar does tighten up the steering feel.
Until I find my way to roads where I can really push front grip levels I can neither confirm or deny any changes in the amount of understeer.

I will most certainly be watching out for it and report back my findings.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
A strut tower bar almost ALWAYS increase under steer.
What you say appears to be true but I have witnessed none of this whatsoever. We have two '08 RAV V-6's. I can drive them back to back and there is no increased under steer in mine taking corners at speed. It simply takes a set and turns without drama. Certainly the larger anti sway bar helped the combination work together.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts