1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UN-Sport my Rav4 Sport into a High Speed Bump Eater/Skipper

I have a 4.3 2008 4x4 Sport.

I like it.

BUT, I hate the ride. I tend to ride on roads that are gravel, washboard pot holed victims of 100s of logging trucks. Pulling a trailer with a 900lb boat behind me.

- I tend to drive about 60 to 90 kph (40 to 55 MPH) on these roads.
- When I had my 2007 Monte Carlo BASE, it was VERY good at handling the wash board and holes pulling the trailer at those speeds.
- Took the RAV4 out the first time and was VERY disappointed. Lost some teeth and bruised my kidneys.
- I changed the tires and wheels from 18s with 235 55 18s to 16s with 225 75 16 and that sidewall helped the ride quite a bit.

But it is still lacking. Very stiff on bumps. Shocks aren't blown or leaking. Links and stabilizer is fine. Springs are in one piece.

Is this just how a Rav4 is because of the wheel base?

Would changing from the Sport shocks, springs and stabilizer (if different) to base or LTD parts make a difference.... or specifically the difference I am looking for?
Is there more to it?

(Don't say slow down, I tried that and the ride is worse. You might think I'm nuts, but I treat the washboard like waves; Ride fast enough so you are skipping over the tops... instead of going slow and riding into the ridges.)

Craig

·
Registered
178 Posts
the springs are the same on all ravs with the exception of the rear springs on 3rd row models, those are firmer to help with extra weight. the shocks and struts are a little softer on ltd and base models than the sport. the stiff and jarring ride comes from the springs. perhaps you could talk to a local spring shop and see if they could make you some custom springs for a softer ride.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
the springs are the same on all ravs with the exception of the rear springs on 3rd row models, those are firmer to help with extra weight. the shocks and struts are a little softer on ltd and base models than the sport. the stiff and jarring ride comes from the springs. perhaps you could talk to a local spring shop and see if they could make you some custom springs for a softer ride.
??? If the springs are the same then the Sport's ride harshness must be due to the shocks & struts (and the tires which the OP has already changed). So changing the shocks & struts to Base/Limited versions should give a better ride.

Reactions: cprince

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Changing the springs and shocks/struts made for a base model should make the ride less stiffer. I read that the springs are softer on the base and Ltd. There is a very good thread that compared springs on all the models. The springs differ in thickness for each model with the V6 4WD with third row seating the thickess of all models. You could look at a wrecker for some used springs from a Base or Ltd model when you decide to replace the struts/shocks.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
The Sport shocks and struts from the factory are easily recognizable. They are painted baby blue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts