Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took our 2020 XSE on a small road trip and I’m not sure if it’s just because they are new or if it’s just me but the seats were so uncomfortable to me. My lower back is hurting pretty bad which it never did in our previous SUV. Do these seats start wearing in to be more comfortable? I did have the lumbar support all the way in with no difference.

·
Registered
679 Posts
No discomfort whatsoever. I'm 6ft2in, lumbar support around 50% out. 13,500 miles without a sore back. I've had 3 spinal cord surgeries in the lumbar area, so i really need to rely on good seats.
The XSE has a tighter suspension, so perhaps that is the root cause of your agony.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No discomfort whatsoever. I'm 6.2, lumbar support around 50% out. 13,500 miles without a sore back. I've had 3 spinal cord surgeries in the lumbar area, so i really need to rely on good seats.
The XSE has a tighter suspension, so perhaps that is the root cause of your agony.
Wouldn’t surprise me. Our previous SUV was more set up for off road. I’ll have to find a way to live with it for at least the next 4-5 years. This is our family hauler too and we will be taking road trips again when this pandemic is done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just took our 2020 XSE on a small road trip and I’m not sure if it’s just because they are new or if it’s just me but the seats were so uncomfortable to me. My lower back is hurting pretty bad which it never did in our previous SUV. Do these seats start wearing in to be more comfortable? I did have the lumbar support all the way in with no difference.

Have seen seats mentioned in reviews. Likely will improve after you tune the adjustments to your needs.
Maybe a slightly higher position adjustment and fine tune the lumbar support.

Below comments are from owner comments at Edmunds, Last one is a little extreme. :)

But the vehicle is simply not suitable for long distance driving because of the lack of sound insulation and hard seats

Do not buy this car unless you test drive it for an hour. The seats are super uncomfortable. I purchased the vehicle just to find out i have made a very expensive mistake. The car is only 7 days old sitting in my garage and I am trying to figure out how to get rid of it. Very very uncomfortable.

2020 Toyota RAV4 Consumer Reviews - Page 2 | Edmunds

·
Registered
679 Posts
Both comments are a bit extreme. Very subjective and suggestive. I guess the first one didn't have a hybrid...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the seats any different between the different trims? Could it be the material? The XSE has that cloth/SoftTex seat inset.

I didn’t notice it on the initial test drive, just this first road trip.

·
Premium Member
7,906 Posts
My hunting and fishing partner had the driver's seat in his new '11 Ltd restuffed at an upholstery shop because it was uncomfortable on long drives, he's had numerous back problems and surgeries and his choice was to either sell the Rav4 or fix the seat, it cost $300 and a couple visits to the upholstery shop to get it right, but he's still driving it over 100K miles later.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 HYBRID LIMITED
74 Posts
After five months of daily use I haven't noticed the seats wearing to feel any different. I prefer a more stiffer sportier seat so I can see how some will feel it's too stiff and not soft enough. It does take a little playing around with to get it just right for me and if anyone makes the slightest adjustment I notice it right away. Maybe you'll need to add some type of softer lumbar support to the seat for when you drive.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After five months of daily use I haven't noticed the seats wearing to feel any different. I prefer a more stiffer sportier seat so I can see how some will feel it's too stiff and not soft enough. It does take a little playing around with to get it just right for me and if anyone makes the slightest adjustment I notice it right away. Maybe you'll need to add some type of softer lumbar support to the seat for when you drive.
How can I add softer lumbar support to these seats?

What will be interesting is how I go about adjusting this with my wife needing her own configuration of the seats.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You need a XLE for the memory seat... Not available for the XSE (at least until now)

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 HYBRID LIMITED
74 Posts
How can I add softer lumbar support to these seats?
The cheapest way would be something like this and if your wife doesn't want it she can remove it when she drives. If you go to an upholstery shop for something more permanent you risk your wife not liking it.

What will be interesting is how I go about adjusting this with my wife needing her own configuration of the seats.
Sorry I didn't realize the XSE does not have memory seats. Another stupid move by Toyota along with a manual passenger seat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The cheapest way would be something like this and if your wife doesn't want it she can remove it when she drives. If you go to an upholstery shop for something more permanent you risk your wife not liking it.

Sorry I didn't realize the XSE does not have memory seats. Another stupid move by Toyota along with a manual passenger seat.
Especially on a $38k vehicle. The XLE is less expensive too.

I did try it again today and noticed if I don’t use the lumbar at all it feels better. This was on a short 10 test drive though so I’m not sure how that would be long term but I know I will need lumbar. I like to sit up high and noticed my head will hit the ceiling if I try that. I’m only 5’8” tall.

I’m really trying to give this a chance, especially for my wife since she picked it out.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I like to sit up high and noticed my head will hit the ceiling if I try that. I’m only 5’8” tall.
Lower the seat... Do you have a pano roof? That will take 2-3" headroom.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lower the seat... Do you have a pano roof? That will take 2-3" headroom.
Nope, just the standard moonroof. We wanted the pano roof but he didn't have one locally he could order that also met the requirements my wife had on the color, etc.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well, still domn'tunderstand how you can hit the roof when you're 5'8". I'm 6'2" with the seat in a 50% high position, but i'm nowhere close to the roof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts