Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple reviews saying the Rav has uncomfortable seats when driving a long time. Any owners noticed this? On my short test drives, the seats seem comfortable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everybody is different. So what may comfortable for some may be uncomfortable for others.

On short trips, I find the seats comfortable. But I wish there was more adjustment for seat rake and I wish there was adjustable lumbar support for the base model.

On long trips, I found the seats to be uncomfortable. On a recent road trip, after several hours of driving, my lower back, shoulders, and neck ached and even my wrists and butt hurt. This is where I wish there was more seat adjustment. Additionally, I found the arm rests were just a little too far out of reach to comfortably use them. I don't remember aching as much in my 99 Passat during long trips. My knees would ache more in the Passat.

On the return leg of my road trip, I think my body adjusted and I found I didn't ache as much.

So, I guess the verdict for me is: Short trips = good; long trips = lotsa aches but my body adjusted and I didn't ache as much after the first day.

·
Registered
363 Posts
And the 06 is vastly improved over the previous models, my girlfriend has a 2005 Rav4 and the center console armrest is so low that I am have to hunch over to rest my elbo there, on my 06 it is at a normal position.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After i drove Rav4 couple of days, i got a severe back pain ..
Then i adjusted the seat height, back position and lumber now i feel like sitting in my seamans sofa and driving..

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think the seats are comfortable, just don't like the headrest. Seems to stick out a bit to far.

·
Registered
229 Posts
:shock: And I thought I had a little head..!.. :p

I find my seats and the headrests comfortable.. :)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, I am short, and I found the height adjustability of the drivers seat to be the best I've ever sat in. The telescopic steering wheel also helps a great deal.

However, I have the Sport and I find the seats very stiff and not very supportive in the bolster area. The lack of lumbar support is also annoying and something that I really think should be standard.

I recently took a weekend trip (5 hours each way) and although I didn't have any back problems I found it hard to find a comfortable position, particularly due to the headrests, which I have nothing good to say about.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Spent nine hours in the cockpit seat this past weekend, found it very comfortable, in fact, was so comfortable, had to catch myself from nodding out a couple of times :zzzz:

OC

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everybody is different when it comes to seating comfort

I bought the Limited with the power seat (only one!) thinking that it will be an improvement over the base model.
I am disappointed that the Ltd model does not come with leather; and trying to get one with heated seats was next to impossible.

The seat does have a lot of adjustability, including lumber support; however, the basic design of the seat is still rather shapeless and un-supportive. The padding is overly firm with no support, you will always feel like you are sitting "on" the seat rather than "IN" the seat. There is very little lateral shaping or contours to help hold you in the seat while cornering. You are always sliding all over the seat because it is so flat.
Don't get me wrong, I do prefer a firm seat if it were shaped properly. The seat in my BMW is firm and supportive and hugs you in all the right places, and you do not get all stiff after a 4 hour drive.

Even my wife's Camry have much better seats and I wonder why they don't just put the Camry's seats in?

On a scale of 1-10, this seat would rate a 6.

To be fair, the seat on this Rav is still better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee I had, which I would rate a 2( a real back breaker).

CKL

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The seat issue also concerns me, as I drive 35,000 plus miles per year.

To me, the best Toyota seats are those in the Tacoma with the Sport or Off-Road Package.

I will not make a vehicle decision until I am satisfied that I have fully evaluated the following 2007 models (in order):

1. Toyota RAV4
2. Ford Edge
3. Acura RDX
4. Hyundai Santa Fe
5. Mercury Montego (2008 model out very early in 2007, has huge trunk, will have a new engine & Trans.)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
chaslau said:
Everybody is different when it comes to seating comfort...

CKL
I agree with just about everything you say.

I can't quite get comfortable in the RAV - its not disasterous in the way, say, my old Fiat Punto was (you North Americans would have loved that car :D ), but its never quite right.

I don't like the way the height adjustment only raises the back of the seat base - when the height's right for me, I don't seem to have enough support under my knees. And I dislike lever-adjusted seat backs - there just isn't the range of adjustment you get with wheel-adjusted chairs. I would also like a bit more reach in the steering wheel - when I have the seat the right distance from the peddals. I'm still reaching a bit far for the steering wheel.

On the other hand, my wife thanks the RAV is the most comfortable car she's ever driven, so maybe I'm just a weird shape . :wink:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Major Ditto on hating the lever device for seatback adjustments. Needlessly complex, awkward, a hassle to deal with while trying to drive at the same time. Never can put it where I want it easily or w/o frustration. The notched wheelie on my old Camry was a piece of cake by comparison. Why change something that works so well?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It took a while for me to get comfortable!

I drove from houston ,tx to Prairie creek, In... that was a 16 hr drive!

On the way up, i drove for 10 hrs.. Coming back I drove for 14 hrs straight!!!! I just couldn't make it for those last two hours... I had plenty of food/ snacks and DVD's to listen to keep me awake.

While i drove my wife took a nap and kept my 4 month old happy... it worked out well...

I do agree with some of the other posters that the armrests are just too far for me to be comfortable. The center console is too far back... So I generally jsut have my hands in my lap...

One tip I found that help a lot is on the left side next to the brake pedal is a small platform... I prop my left foot on there all of the time and it allows me to stretch that much more to make the long drive a bit more comfortable...

I found that when adjsuting the seat to the highest level is really odd. I'm only 5'3 so I want ot see as much road as possible. But the sunroof and just the angle of the seat just didn't work for me... I lowered in quite a bit but I'm much happier now...

BTW full tank i was getting 350 to 400 miles per tank!!!!

1 - 20 of 158 Posts