Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Aptos Driver said:
The RAV4 seat is not deep enough for tall people like me (6'). I have also owned several Volvos (my wife now drives our '00 S70 SE GLT), and Volvo's seats are the gold standard for comfort in my opinion. The RAV4's seats don't meet that standard. That said, I would note that after a year and 7,000-plus miles, the driver's seat in my RAV (leather, heated, multi-way adjustable) has become more comfortable. First , I had to fine tune the seat's adjustments to find its "sweet spot." But the seat was still very hard. It has finally started to soften. The passenger's seat, which has not clocked the same butt time as the driver's seat, still feels very hard. (I learned this for myself, riding as a passenger when I couldn't drive because I was recuperating from a broken hip.)
Yeah, I've noticed that too. Mine had to hit about 10k before I noticed, but it's now at ~11k and it's a lot better than it was.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Guys,
Back when I first purchased the Rav4 I posted this to the forum:

Hey Guys,
i'm 5'11 and really having trouble with the drivers seat, its a 3 week old 2009 CV with cloth seats (base model in Australia)
To get enough leg room i'm putting the seat as far back as it will travel, and putting the height into the lowest position. But this has made the seat push on the back of my thigh as it angles up and the seat front, I last about 20min before the pain sets in..

If I put the seat higher, the seat base angles down, but also moves forward and gives zero leg support.

someone please give me hope, I really love t

his car but hate to drive it.. i'm dreading taking it for a 3hr+ trip

Since then i've had a number of people drive the car... (for short trips) and they don't notice anything wrong...

Well GOOD news Finally !

3 weeks ago the pain was getting so bad I have started to have physiotherapy on my hamstring... was also getting severe lower back pain from driving the vehicle.. ..

I noticed that there are some clips in the seat base that were kinda digging into my hamstring.. and also the seat would sag - maybe 10min after you started to drive it... never really noticed it before, until I had to adjust the rear view mirror.... normally I swap driving with my wife daily... so I'd get in the car... adjust everything.. and about 10min in.. I'd check the mirror then... it would be all wrong and I'd need to adjust.. ?

So I took it to the dealer again..

Told the service manager,

1. there are clips in the seat base that are digging into my hamstring..
2. after driving for a few minutes, i'd have to adjust the rearview mirror because i'd sunk in the seat..

after they had the car for the day they said that the clips that I can feel are normal,
I even went to the new car showroom to check.... I could feel that the parts are normal and are indeed the same... the service guys were nice enough and showed me some other Ravs that they had there to compare....

the service manager and I discussed that the seat appears to be normal... and that they would not be replacing the seat... I was really disappointed because I that stage I thought that the problem was obvious....

Feeling defeated I wanted to sell the Rav4... even looked at getting Recaro aftermarket seats fitted... but these were expensive options...

So here is the good news!

i decided to investigate the seat sagging for myself... so I took the seat out of the car.... it was pretty easy

Then I unzipped the rear cover, and detached the fabric clips from the wire-mesh spring (that holds the molded foam base in place) here is where I spotted the problem...

The wire-mesh base is attached to the seat frame on a metal tube... it has a half round plastic tube that tightens the wire-mesh as it turns... It also has a clip on in that Locks this in-place leaving the wire-mesh tight...

The problem was that (from the factory) this was not locked in place on the right side of the seat... !!

I drove it for 4 hours today... even a spot of off-roading its like Magic!

I'm in love with the rav again... (got to cancel the Forester test drive planned for monday)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It would be good if you could take some pic and show us how to do it.

Thanks!

anthony_ling said:
Hi Guys,
Back when I first purchased the RAV4 I posted this to the forum:

Hey Guys,
i'm 5'11 and really having trouble with the drivers seat, its a 3 week old 2009 CV with cloth seats (base model in Australia)
To get enough leg room i'm putting the seat as far back as it will travel, and putting the height into the lowest position. But this has made the seat push on the back of my thigh as it angles up and the seat front, I last about 20min before the pain sets in..

If I put the seat higher, the seat base angles down, but also moves forward and gives zero leg support.

someone please give me hope, I really love t

his car but hate to drive it.. i'm dreading taking it for a 3hr+ trip

Since then i've had a number of people drive the car... (for short trips) and they don't notice anything wrong...

Well GOOD news Finally !

3 weeks ago the pain was getting so bad I have started to have physiotherapy on my hamstring... was also getting severe lower back pain from driving the vehicle.. ..

I noticed that there are some clips in the seat base that were kinda digging into my hamstring.. and also the seat would sag - maybe 10min after you started to drive it... never really noticed it before, until I had to adjust the rear view mirror.... normally I swap driving with my wife daily... so I'd get in the car... adjust everything.. and about 10min in.. I'd check the mirror then... it would be all wrong and I'd need to adjust.. ?

So I took it to the dealer again..

Told the service manager,

1. there are clips in the seat base that are digging into my hamstring..
2. after driving for a few minutes, i'd have to adjust the rearview mirror because i'd sunk in the seat..

after they had the car for the day they said that the clips that I can feel are normal,
I even went to the new car showroom to check.... I could feel that the parts are normal and are indeed the same... the service guys were nice enough and showed me some other Ravs that they had there to compare....

the service manager and I discussed that the seat appears to be normal... and that they would not be replacing the seat... I was really disappointed because I that stage I thought that the problem was obvious....

Feeling defeated I wanted to sell the RAV4... even looked at getting Recaro aftermarket seats fitted... but these were expensive options...

So here is the good news!

i decided to investigate the seat sagging for myself... so I took the seat out of the car.... it was pretty easy

Then I unzipped the rear cover, and detached the fabric clips from the wire-mesh spring (that holds the molded foam base in place) here is where I spotted the problem...

The wire-mesh base is attached to the seat frame on a metal tube... it has a half round plastic tube that tightens the wire-mesh as it turns... It also has a clip on in that Locks this in-place leaving the wire-mesh tight...

The problem was that (from the factory) this was not locked in place on the right side of the seat... !!

I drove it for 4 hours today... even a spot of off-roading its like Magic!

I'm in love with the RAV again... (got to cancel the Forester test drive planned for monday)

·
Registered
31 Posts
To remove the seat.... download the service manual (thanks junebug) there is a PDF for the seats....

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gmor3i

My seat didn't have the air-bag... So you may want to disconnect the battery if yours does.

- Just be careful not to damage your interior trim as you pull the seat out of the car...

Toyota has replaced the foam base in my car since I last posted here... it turns out that the seat foam had collapsed. (due to the loose seat frame that supports it) I'm now sitting about 3inches higher.. (and my hamstrings don't hurt anymore... ) Just need to get them to sort out the exhaust-in-cabin under acceleration and i'll be happy again...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find the seats in my RAV4 very uncomfortable, as does my wife. After 4 hours in the saddle, back pain is inevitable due to almost zero lumbar support. The seats in our 2004 Camry are vastly superior. For this one reason I am seriously considering selling the RAV4, unless I can find a fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I find the seats comfortable... but I have a Limited with the 8-way seat controls. I've had back problems, so I'm sensitive to uncomfortable seats, but as someone wrote, it probably really depends on the person.

About a month ago, I was about decided upon a 2011 CRV and only wanted to confirm my choice with a test drive (I had already test driven a RAV4 -- which I liked). Luckily, the salesman let me take it on a long test drive. I wanted to check the noisiness (a major possible negative in my list of pluses and minuses) and some other things.

Unfortunately, I had to admit to myself, it was noisy -- road, wind noise. Then, I began to feel more uncomfortable in my seat. The main cause was the headrest. It felt like someone pushing my head forward. I hadn't noticed this in any other car or during my test drive of the RAV4. I kept wanting to push that headrest back with my head but it wouldn't budge. I became so conscious of it and it became so annoying that I told the salesman this was a no-go. I _wanted_ to buy the CRV and be done with my car purchase. But, who wants to pay up to $30K and be annoyed -- to have a problem to be solved (and probably unsolvable -- how to fix that seat/headrest).

Since I've had my 2011 RAV4, the seats have remained comfortable to me. And the headrest doesn't bother me (I've noticed how headrests on new vehicles are set more forward. But there was some combination of seating position and headrest on the CRV that made it too agressively forward... at least for me). And, my RAV4 has been pleasingly (to me) quiet -- I'm not consciously aware of noisiness -- I definitely was with the CRV.

I'm very pleased with my choice of the RAV4... I liked it when I first drove it, and with some time owning it, I've grown to like it even more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For the front of the seat base tilting/sloping downward when the manual seat is raised as high as possible, I rolled up a towel and placed it between the seat cushion and seat cover. It gives me support under my knees and I no longer feel like I am about to slide under the steering wheel when coming to a stop. (I am 5'2" and need the seat raised as high as possible.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Haven't tried a long trip yet but have a 4 hour trip this weekend, problem I do see it that the arm rest is too low for me, we'll see.
Seats feel hard, might be a good thing for giving great support.
Dunno yet!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,568 Posts
RedInLA4 said:
Haven't tried a long trip yet but have a 4 hour trip this weekend, problem I do see it that the arm rest is too low for me, we'll see.
I felt the same way when I first got mine. Then I lowered the seat all the way down and it felt so much better, I never raised it again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I find I have to lower the seat all the way as well to find a decent arm rest position, part of it is the steering wheel adjustment, it leaves something to be desired...... :?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
On a different note, has anyone ever had a headrest altered? The forward jutting angle is just plain uncomfortable, and I'd like to alter it so the headrest is more in line with the rods that insert into the seat. I realize it's part of a whiplash prevention thing, but it's so bad that half the time, both my wife and I drive around with the headrest removed, which totally defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SteVTEC said:
...Now I just have to prevent anybody else from driving it...
...+1 for memory seats.
This is the biggest problem I have with the power seat in our '11 Limited.
I guess we were spoiled, because most of the cars we had before this had automatic power seats that automatically adjusted to the individual remotes. I had my favorite setting on my remote, and my wife had hers on her remote.

The Rav4 is not too bad for her, she has to move the seat forward and up after I've been using the car. But if I get in after she's been using it, I'm squished up against the steering wheel, and have to power it backward and downward just so I can start to breath again :)

--Chuck--

·
Registered
183 Posts
rav4two wrote:
On a different note, has anyone ever had a headrest altered? The forward jutting angle is just plain uncomfortable, and I'd like to alter it so the headrest is more in line with the rods that insert into the seat. I realize it's part of a whiplash prevention thing, but it's so bad that half the time, both my wife and I drive around with the headrest removed, which totally defeats the purpose..

I just raised the headrest until the position wasn't forcing my head forward, I think that's about all you can do with it. Or remove it like you said

·
Super Moderator
10,985 Posts
Boy this is the thread that just keeps on giving! After driving my gal's Base model off & on for a year I found the driver's seat surprisingly comfortable but couldn't ever find the perfect sweet spot due to manual controls. I knew at that point if I bought one it would have to be a Limited with a power seat. I did and I'm pleased with it. As far as the headrest I put it up as far as it will go and it's out of my way but will still do its job if need be. Now, would I mind if the seat bottom was a few inches longer? No, not at all. Would I prefer better side bolsters? Yes, by all means. That is really needed considering the rather stout ride quality of these vehicles on less than perfect pavement.

Mine has power cloth seats (my preference, despise leather in a car) and overall I find them quite comfortable in short drives or long......longest being six hours so far. I'm 61 years old with a screwed up back and kick the scales at 265 lbs with 6' of height and a stocky build. Yes, there is indeed some excess lard in there but such it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front Seat Mods

Our 07 Sport seats felt OK for the test drives, but after a week or so, my wife and I both commented that the seats needed to go back and down further. In typical Japanese car fashion, Toyota has sacrificed front seat travel for rear seat/foot well space. I removed the front seats, drilled out the large attachment rivets holding the rear rail mounts, and fabricated new ones that lower the rear of the seats by about 1.5 inches. As a side note, the right and left seats had to have different types of mounts as they are dissimilar due to the passenger seat having no height adjuster mechanism. Now, there is plenty of adjustment to lower the driver's seat to a more optimum setting. My only problem now is I wish the steering wheel would adjust out about another 2". The whole thing was not difficult, and if anyone is interested, I could post pictures of the new mounts. The rear rail mount plastic covers had to be discarded, but overall it was a small sacrifice...since the seats are much lower and I painted the new mounts black, they are barely missed. Sorry I did not document the whole procedure.
I know this is old post but this is exactly the problem I have with my 2011 Sport seats. If you still have that info available on your conversion I would really love to see it. I'm sure this is exactly the fix I need. I just bought this at 50,000 miles and I didn't realize how messed up the seats were for driving long distances.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
I know this is old post but this is exactly the problem I have with my 2011 Sport seats. If you still have that info available on your conversion I would really love to see it. I'm sure this is exactly the fix I need. I just bought this at 50,000 miles and I didn't realize how messed up the seats were for driving long distances.
That member hasn't been online in over 8 years. One easy way to improve seat comfort is take it to an upholstery shop and tell them what it needs, my best friend didn't like the seat in his '11 Limited on day long drives, the shop restuffed the seat to his satisfaction, took a couple tries, but it was money well spent.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Toyota, Kia, Honda and Hyundai seats and driving position are very bad compared to an American car. It's like they are designed for people averaging 5ft tall and 140 lbs. I am 6ft tall, 200lbs... Also Japanese people don't drive too long in their cars, they use trains for long distances.

Sitting in the chair of my Ford Explorer or Mercury Sable, my elbows rest naturally on the nice, padded armrest and center console. The chair feels great, even after 5 hour drives.
Not happening in any of the other Asian models that I have tested, my elbows hang in air. The seat also is smaller and less "hugging", more rigid.
Truth to be told, some German cars have similar bad seats.

PS: If someone thinks that Toyota cares about American customers when they sell a vehicle... Just look at the direction the door on our RAV4 opens. If you park by the curb, you need to be in traffic to open that door, and also you need to go around the open door with the bags. In Japan, they drive on the other side, park on the other side, and the roor opens perfectly for that curb-side parking situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've read a couple reviews saying the Rav has uncomfortable seats when driving a long time. Any owners noticed this? On my short test drives, the seats seem comfortable.
I find my driver seat to be quite uncomfortable after long drives . 1plus hours or so . I believe for me it’s two fold. I’m 6ft 220. Sprinter thighs. With the hug of the seat and short length of the lower seat makes it a bit uncomfortable often. I’ve adj the hell of the seat no help. I’ve used a egg crate design similar to the seat cushions used by wheelchair capable people. It helps with the hug but not the length.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts