Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone (now @juniorkirk) did an install video for those LED dynamic hood lights:

Product:

Kind of nifty lights. I have some on order and I'll be trying to figure out a way to tie them into the headlight controls when they arrive (apparently these lights don't come with an instruction set). The way @juniorkirk fuse tapped into the USB slot in this video makes these always stay on while the car is running, very informative video overall.

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just registered on the forum. Thank you for sharing our video. If you do find a better/correct fuse to hook it into, please let me know. With how we wired it, we can plug it into any fuse in the box with ease.
Great to see you @juniorkirk! I've updated the post to include your info. I'll repeat what I mentioned on reddit, really excellent job on this video. Going to make my install way easier so thank you for your time on it!

I found this video in another thread and it looks like they tapped into a different fuse (hard to see what's going on). I'd assume all / most of these fuses in the box are always hot, but I'm waiting to dig too deeply into all of this until my light set gets here. Did you look into chaining the main voltage directly from the headlight connectors? These lights probably don't draw too much current, so I'd assume adding them to the LED headlight load won't stress that existing fuse too much... maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great to see you @juniorkirk! I've updated the post to include your info. I'll repeat what I mentioned on reddit, really excellent job on this video. Going to make my install way easier so thank you for your time on it!

I found this video in another thread and it looks like they tapped into a different fuse (hard to see what's going on). I'd assume all / most of these fuses in the box are always hot, but I'm waiting to dig too deeply into all of this until my light set gets here. Did you look into chaining the main voltage directly from the headlight connectors? These lights probably don't draw too much current, so I'd assume adding them to the LED headlight load won't stress that existing fuse too much... maybe.
One thing I thought of on that, if you tap into the headlight fuse that is only on when the headlights are on, then the turn signals will only work when the headlights are on. Having these lights tapped into a fuse that is only on when the car is on, and is on the whole time when on will mean the turn signals will work all the time. I don’t do anything illegal/shady at night that requires me to drive in blackout conditions, so having them on all the time just means more visibility, and I like that.

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good point, I can see that. I'm thinking for when I pull into a camping area and I don't want to blind the campsite, sometimes I'll switch off the headlights and just throw down the flood lights, it would be nice to be able to switch these off too as I like keeping it dark outside for that. Can't forget the occasional drive-in movie either

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good point, I can see that. I'm thinking for when I pull into a camping area and I don't want to blind the campsite, sometimes I'll switch off the headlights and just throw down the flood lights, it would be nice to be able to switch these off too as I like keeping it dark outside for that. Can't forget the occasional drive-in movie either
These LED strips are bright, but not as bright as even the DRL, so I don't think they would be that bad in a campsite. I can definitely see at a drive-in movie how you would definitely not want these on all the time. I don't know how much extra work it would be, but if you can wire in an on/off switch in the cabin that goes from the hot wire (one in the fuse box) so you can leave it on all the time so you have DRL/turn signals working, but then you can flip it off when at the drive in so they are off, and even if you forget to turn it back on after you leave, all the factory lights/signals will be working.

·
Registered
6 Posts

This was going to bug me until I knew what fuse they were plugging into.

Looks like they hook it up the the INJ fuse, which I will take a guess and say that is the fuel injector fuse. If that is so, that one will be live the whole time the car is on.....maybe. It might stay off if it is in accessory mode (radio, USB ports, speakers stay on), but then turns on when in Ignition ON mode and when the RAV is on. I might have to get the multi-meter out and take some readings on that tomorrow at some point. Hopefully this diagram helps you out as well since I couldn't find a picture of this anywhere on Google.

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha, your fuse picture looks a lot better than mine. I made sure to take pictures of them a while back and just my luck they're all blurry. Legible, but blurry. It does look like INJ but honestly, seeing how they just clipped the top plastic of the box to run the wire, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't too picky on their fuse selection. I think all these fuses are in series before the relays & switches for turning stuff on/off anyways (aside from accessory/ignition/etc), so I may need to just directly tap into the wire at the headlight.

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Installed mine today, a few notes:
I pulled the power wires into the driver headlight connector for +12v & g, which joins them with the main headlights and gives me full on/off control. The turn signals still work even with headlights off. I pulled out a white plastic divider in the middle of it to give the wires some more room in there as well.
IMG_3034.jpg IMG_3036.jpg IMG_3037.jpg
My turn signals had 3 wires running into them instead of 2 (solid on, blink, & g). I t-tapped the exposed wire at the back end of the connector. Wiring colors were different on each side, not sure what was up with that. Driver side = skyblue/white, passenger side = green.
IMG_3038.jpg IMG_3039.jpg
And a few more pics of wire routing at the front:
IMG_3040.jpg IMG_3041.jpg IMG_3042.jpg

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like this idea, however one thing concerns me: These are pretty bright and they would be right in the rear window of the guy in front of you (especially a lower car) and maybe really annoying when stuck in traffic. Had any issues or tried to experiment with this?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've been following this while planning to do the install. I think I'm going to get 12V+ and ground from one of the side marker lights. I can either run the wires into the holes in the plug light shown using the headlight plug. Or the side marker light wire harness and make connection out of sight and out of the way. Just seems the marker light makes for a cleaner installation. I'm going to place my order tonight. Let you know how it works.

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like this idea, however one thing concerns me: These are pretty bright and they would be right in the rear window of the guy in front of you (especially a lower car) and maybe really annoying when stuck in traffic. Had any issues or tried to experiment with this?
I thought about that too. Fortunately these LEDs aren't very directional, especially compared to the headlights:

I've been following this while planning to do the install. I think I'm going to get 12V+ and ground from one of the side marker lights. I can either run the wires into the holes in the plug light shown using the headlight plug. Or the side marker light wire harness and make connection out of sight and out of the way. Just seems the marker light makes for a cleaner installation. I'm going to place my order tonight. Let you know how it works.
I'm interested to see how that works out. Do the side marker lights turn on/off with the driver controls? My memory is telling me the marker lights are always on when using the auto daytime on/off setting, but do turn off when you manually shut the headlights completely off. That might be something to think about.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The side marker lights are always on unless you turn off the day time running lights. It seems when the DTR lights are turned to off all the forward lights are off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The side marker lights are always on unless you turn off the day time running lights. It seems when the DTR lights are turned to off all the forward lights are off.
I am now in possession of this kit. As I stated above I'm going to get my 12volts from the side marker light on the drivers side using saddle wire connectors and weather proof connectors. I am attaching a photo of the 12 volt connection, after the photo I weather proofed the connector with black heat shrink tape from Harbor Freight. I'm doing all my wiring connections before I begin the installation. Also the module will be hidden above the side marker light connector. It will be out of sight in a weather free environment and is easy to route wires to while keeping them out of sight.

Bill

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am now in possession of this kit. As I stated above I'm going to get my 12volts from the side marker light on the drivers side using saddle wire connectors and weather proof connectors. I am attaching a photo of the 12 volt connection, after the photo I weather proofed the connector with black heat shrink tape from Harbor Freight. I'm doing all my wiring connections before I begin the installation. Also the module will be hidden above the side marker light connector. It will be out of sight in a weather free environment and is easy to route wires to while keeping them out of sight. View attachment 153833
Bill
That looks clean. I like that connector, probably makes it much easier to remove it or even just to turn them off. Are you running into any distance issues getting to the other side's turn signal? From what I remember, I had to mount the module as close to the center as I could, and that was even stretching it once I dressed the wires out of sight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am going to do all the connections on the module and place it close to the marker light. I'll then run one black sheathed cable from the module to each of the turn signals. The cable will be totally hidden and should make for a clean installation. I'll post photos as I go.
Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
These are not bright at all. They are not brighter than the LED DRL that the RAV has, so I don't think they would have cause any problem with blinding anyone in front of me.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 AWD XLE
113 Posts
I am planing on setting up an master switch that will enable/disable all extra lights I put in, then having various toggle switches control various lights.

This is mainly to prevent any battery draw during times Im not driving a lot. but also so I can disable all the extra lights if needed. You never know when you could need something, so I find it better to pre-plan if possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts