Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I would like some help from those of you who have installed amplifiers under your seat. I want to install an amp under my driver seat. However, the floor heater vent is sort of in the way. I could still install an amp anyway. Have any of you had experience with sawing off the floor vent under the driver (or passenger) seat in order to install an amp? Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i've taken off the whole carpet before the vent is basically an extention that comes out from the center concil, I guess if you don't want it there it is ok to saw it off as it is just plastic that extends out, but maybe you might want to tape up the opening cuz you don't want dust to blown up from the carpet.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ultima16888 said:
i've taken off the whole carpet before the vent is basically an extention that comes out from the center concil, I guess if you don't want it there it is ok to saw it off as it is just plastic that extends out, but maybe you might want to tape up the opening cuz you don't want dust to blown up from the carpet.
Thanks for the advice. :D I probably won't cut it off completely, but simply shorten it so that an amp would fit. In addition, I would either tape off the vent, or build a deflector, so that hot air from the vent does not directly "attack" the amp.

(I do use my heater on a regular basis during the winter months.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
HOLD UP ! ! !

Don't cut it, the peice you see is only about a foot long and tucks under the metal rail your front seat bolts connect to. It connects into another tube that goes under your floor mat and up to the heater.

The simplest thing to do is to unhook the four seat bolts, disconnect the wires and take the seat right out. Then, pull off the plastic that covers the edge of the carpet, and lift the carpet up. Once you do that, you'll see what you're working with. It sounds like a big job but it literally only takes 10 minutes.

Working under the driver's seat is easiest. However, I'm putting my sub amp under my passenger's seat and I'll have to relocate the jack, flatten out the jack brackets, and pull the vent from it too.

In both cases I'll lose the heat to the feet of my rear passengers, but blowing hot air onto an amplifier is a sure way to fry it, so it's a trade-off I'm willing to make.[/img]

·
Registered
471 Posts
ultima16888 said:
I guess if you don't want it there it is ok to saw it off as it is just plastic that extends out, but maybe you might want to tape up the opening cuz you don't want dust to blown up from the carpet.
wiat I have a question.
if you saw it off would hot air be still coming out of the hole?
And if amp is going to be covering it it might get really hot.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
machman said:
HOLD UP ! ! !

Don't cut it, the peice you see is only about a foot long and tucks under the metal rail your front seat bolts connect to. It connects into another tube that goes under your floor mat and up to the heater.

The simplest thing to do is to unhook the four seat bolts, disconnect the wires and take the seat right out. Then, pull off the plastic that covers the edge of the carpet, and lift the carpet up. Once you do that, you'll see what you're working with. It sounds like a big job but it literally only takes 10 minutes.

Working under the driver's seat is easiest. However, I'm putting my sub amp under my passenger's seat and I'll have to relocate the jack, flatten out the jack brackets, and pull the vent from it too.

In both cases I'll lose the heat to the feet of my rear passengers, but blowing hot air onto an amplifier is a sure way to fry it, so it's a trade-off I'm willing to make.[/img]
Thanks for the tip! What I might end up doing is to build a deflector to point air from the vent either sideways or upwards, so that hot air (usually warm in winter time) doesn't attack the amp.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alien18 said:
ultima16888 said:
I guess if you don't want it there it is ok to saw it off as it is just plastic that extends out, but maybe you might want to tape up the opening cuz you don't want dust to blown up from the carpet.
wiat I have a question.
if you saw it off would hot air be still coming out of the hole?
And if amp is going to be covering it it might get really hot.
Yes, but I would build a deflector so that the hot air wouldn't directly attack the amp.

·
Registered
471 Posts
EHinthe604 said:
Yes, but I would build a deflector so that the hot air wouldn't directly attack the amp.
Hmm that would be a good solution but just make sure that the material that you will use for deflector doesn't absorb heat easilly and that it won't with in itself. Something like that happend to my friends car, he had an amp right by air vent and during winter he actuaaly burned something.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alien18 said:
Hmm that would be a good solution but just make sure that the material that you will use for deflector doesn't absorb heat easilly and that it won't with in itself. Something like that happend to my friends car, he had an amp right by air vent and during winter he actuaaly burned something.
Yeah, I thought of that too. Of course, I would build the deflector so that it doesn't actually touch the amp.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed my amp right on top of the vent and am enjoying the cooling effects of the AC on the amp now...
During the winter, I just use the top vents mostly... and if the feet vent is on, that's ok too.. I really don't care.... Well, I do but I know that it's not going to just 'fry it'... as suggested here. Besides, there's heat protection circuitry in it if things get too hot... it'll take a break on its own.... which it hasn't and I installed it this past winter.

Under the front seat is not a great spot for an amp... it doesn't get much air... but I don't know where else you could put one on the RAV.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got amps under each of my front seats if you want to look at my cardomain page for pics and a how-to.

I blocked off both vents by pulling the final peice of the tube out and duct taping the peice it hooks into shut. I couldn't get the amps to mount flat on top of the vent outlets. This way there is just enough clearance all around that my driver seat doesn't touch the amp under it when the seat height is all the way down. Otherwise I would have been in trouble.

This also allowed me to mount the amps as far forward as possible decreasing the risk that a passenger in the back will have their toes resting on the amp.

And finally, these Kenwood amps have built in fans so I wanted to ensure they had enough room to push air around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts