Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done anything to clean up the air flow under the vehicle? The underbody certainly isn't horrible, but there are definitely gaps that are likely creating a fair bit of drag. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any luck with any modifications like custom-made trays, vortex generators, etc... Seems like this is an area where one might be able to make some gains with a relatively minimal amount of resource commitment. I do realize that there's a limit to what one wants to cover up since there are heat management issues to consider.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I attached a few Air Tabs to the leading edge of the front underbody trim. My theory here is that by energizing the air helps it "jump" the engine bay opening and possibly move past the underbody with less of it catching in the various voids. These Air Tabs certainly made a measurable (albeit not huge) difference on my 2004 Ford Ranger when installed at the trailing edge of the cab. I had these installed on the front tray of my old Mazda 5 too.

I wasn't able to do any formal testing before and after. However, I have been able to make the same 30+ mile freeway run on 2 different occasions with very similar atmospheric conditions (nominal winds, approximately 65 degrees F) - one before installing them and one after. My reported MPG (reset at the same starting point and observed at the same ending point) at a cruise-control set 55mph for the run before installing the Air Tabs was 45.2mpg and the run after installing them was 46.2mpg. So perhaps they're giving me about 2% better mileage? It's not out of line with what I've seen on previous cars...

I realize this is not particularly scientific and to really get true data I'd need to do a more controlled A-B-A test, but once these things are installed they take a significant amount of force to get off and they're not reusable once they've been removed. So this might be as good as it gets (for the time being).

As for why I have 2 white ones and several black ones - it's just what I had left over in my "inventory" from previous purchases for other vehicles. Sorry for the poor photo... lighting was not the best since it's dark under the car and light all around.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts