Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of pictures while my RAV4 was up on a lift, getting LED fog lights installed. This is a Limited AWD.

The first picture is the view from the front of the car. Note how almost the entire "floor" of the vehicle is covered.

The second picture is from the rear. Note the shield around the catalytic converter. To the left of the exhaust is the drive shaft to the rear end, which is black in color.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
A couple of pictures while my RAV4 was up on a lift, getting LED fog lights installed. This is a Limited AWD.

The first picture is the view from the front of the car. Note how almost the entire "floor" of the vehicle is covered.

The second picture is from the rear. Note the shield around the catalytic converter. To the left of the exhaust is the drive shaft to the rear end, which is black in color.

I can see how snow/salt will get in there but it's less clear to me how it will get out. Hope, they tested this setup in colder areas and found it protects the underbody better.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Makes me wonder if they picked up the added ground clearance on the new model by just rerouting the front exhaust bend that hangs so low on the 4th gen.

Yes, many Camry-based models have had a rather low exhaust bend -- I'm glad to see nothing like that. Also, on many other SUV's, I've seen the "bars" that go to the wheels (sorry, I have no clue what they're called) go diagonally down from the chassis to the wheels at the very bottom of the wheels, which seems to eliminate almost any sense of "ground clearance." I'm rather happy with the RAV4's underbody development.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Saw the undertrays when jacking up the car to put winters on.

With it on the hoist, it’s much easier to see all the panels. Cool pics, thanks for posting!

I was offered undercoating and rust proofing at the dealer. Wonder how that would be work? I guess they would have to remove all those panels?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe I read that those panels are plastic. Still, that kind of coverage looks awesome for driving dirt roads. I'd expect that plastic is at least as thick as the OEM metal skid plate on my FJ.

·
Registered
264 Posts

With it on the hoist, it’s much easier to see all the panels. Cool pics, thanks for posting!

I was offered undercoating and rust proofing at the dealer. Wonder how that would be work? I guess they would have to remove all those panels?

Try to find a place called Krown rust protection and do it there. That was the stuff that finally let me win the battle over rust bucket I was driving against Ontario winters. It was still slowly seeping from door panels 5 years after I moved one of the treated cars to SoCal :). They drill extra holes in different parts of the body, spay their stuff inside those body cavities and plug them up with small rubber covers so they would use them again next time. Nothing else worked for me there and I was suffering from this problem for years. The usual culprits are wheel wells, doors and and parts below doors/above jack points. Underbody usually lasts much longer than those. The stuff Krown sprays doesn't smell much and it 'creeps' covering everything with thin oily film. That effect actually works and stops even rust that already started.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You sure that muffler & resonator (as I know them as) shown in pic 2 is the catalytic converter thoots? Usually, the cat is much closer to the exhaust manifold?

You may know what you're talking about -- I'm just guessing. :wink

·
Registered
113 Posts

I wondered about rust spraying as well??...probably access holes for the wands.

I do like the panels for undercarriage protection.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Try to find a place called Krown rust protection and do it there. That was the stuff that finally let me win the battle over rust bucket I was driving against Ontario winters. It was still slowly seeping from door panels 5 years after I moved one of the treated cars to SoCal :). They drill extra holes in different parts of the body, spay their stuff inside those body cavities and plug them up with small rubber covers so they would use them again next time. Nothing else worked for me there and I was suffering from this problem for years. The usual culprits are wheel wells, doors and and parts below doors/above jack points. Underbody usually lasts much longer than those. The stuff Krown sprays doesn't smell much and it 'creeps' covering everything with thin oily film. That effect actually works and stops even rust that already started.
X 5....Krown is the best and has allowed me to enjoy and save 5 Toyotas. Combined with spring undercarriage cleaning (tedious) and late summer early fall Krown treatments you can stay ahead of the rust.

Allow them to drill rocker panels, door pillars etc....spray and then rubber plug where access is needed and not provided by the car maker.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts