Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening All!

I recently purchased a 2011 RAV4 Limited V6 with less than 100K miles. Looking at the undercarriage there is definitely some rust, but I’m wondering if I should be concerned? I understand it’s a 9 year old vehicle. Also, I was considering having my local LINE-X shop apply POR15 to the undercarriage (they said they would do it for me). I will search the forums and see if anyone has experience with this. Thanks!
Control arm

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The crossmember is an important part that should be sanded down with a wire wheel of all rust. It is also a very expensive part. I sanded mine in that area and painted it with rust paint and then coated it with under body coating. I also added some oil in the hole where water and salt collect. This is also where the floor jack fits under if you want to jack up the car from the middle. If the crossmember is not looked after it will rust out especially in areas where road salt is used in the winter. In my area we use tons of salt and I try to make sure I stay ahead of the rust before it is too late.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The crossmember is an important part that should be sanded down with a wire wheel of all rust. It is also a very expensive part. I sanded mine in that area and painted it with rust paint and then coated it with under body coating. I also added some oil in the hole where water and salt collect. This is also where the floor jack fits under if you want to jack up the car from the middle. If the crossmember is not looked after it will rust out especially in areas where road salt is used in the winter. In my area we use tons of salt and I try to make sure I stay ahead of the rust before it is too late.
Thank you for the response! I am definitely looking into ways to clean up and protect the underbody a bit. Also, I apologize for the photos being upside down, I need to learn how to post them correctly.

But, as far as you can tell in the photos, does the rust look terrible? Or typical for a 9 year old RAV? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Thank you for the response! I am definitely looking into ways to clean up and protect the underbody a bit. Also, I apologize for the photos being upside down, I need to learn how to post them correctly.

But, as far as you can tell in the photos, does the rust look terrible? Or typical for a 9 year old RAV? Thank you!
The rust does not look that bad but looks a bit worse than my car which is 2 years older.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts