Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I will be buying the Rav4 V6 in the next 2 months and have a few questions regarding the extras. More specifically, I want to know if any of you has chosen to get the undercoating, stain guard or the paint protection. I have heard that the undercoating is like gooey or wax like substance that also provides a little sound dampening. Is there any truth to this?

Also, the paint protection according to some, allows the car owner the convenience of not having to wax the car. Is there any truth to this, based on experience?

Finally, is the stain guard worth it? As I have a baby on the way and I have a dog.

As for colour, my wife likes the dark blue, but I have heard all the reasons why it's harder to keep clean. I have seen the dark blue and black up close, but I am waiting to see the other colours.

Thanks,
vroom2grow
:roll:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
flyingn,

thanks for your post.

Are there any other Rav4 owners or other vehicles owners with experiences, good or bad?

cheers,
vroom2grow

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
flyingn wrote:

all 3 are a waste of $$

Thanks flyman, we don't have to go there all over again. We ought to have an automated response pasted on the clipboard so whenever someone asks that question again we just go .....click .....instant negative response - NG, NG !! :lol:

OC

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My parents have the paint protection on their Audi. After four years the paint looks good, but water doesn't bead on it the way it does when a car is waxed. Whether or not the paint would look any different if they'd not bought the protection is impossible to say. Didn't hurt, but was it worth the cost? Not if you're willing to wax it yourself, but if you don't think you're likely to wax it regularly then I can see how the paint protection might be attractive.

Stain guard for the fabric - a similar product can be applied yourself quite easily. Again, maybe you'd rather do it yourself or maybe you wouldn't. In both cases the dealer is providing a service in addition to a product, and you pay accordingly. These dealer add-ons tend to be poor value for money, but not everyone is the do-it-yourself type. If you haven't already, check into the costs and then see if you feel the item is worth it.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bmorton,

That's what my bro's opinion was also. He said that if you are planning on waxing it, then forget it...otherwise, you should go for it. Also, he said that for the first couple of weeks he was waxing his car. After a few weeks, he either got tired of it, or just got busy. As for the under guard, I was thinking that I would have this stuff applied by the dealership, since they offer a lifetime warranty. I haven't heard about the stuff they use, so I will check it out at other places. Now the stain guard might be possible to do myself. I will look into that as far as costs and ease of application.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
There is a big profit margin for the dealers for those products. I would try to talk them down to about 50% of retail price. As far as the undercoating having sound insolation quality, even a coat of paint will have some sound proofing quality. My bet is that you will not notice a difference in the sound level inside your cabin. The paint protection is a nice product if you can get it for around $250 or so. It is a Teflon based sealant. I had it put on my other car and it last 2 to 3 years without waxing. When I pick up my other car, I actually compare my car with the paint sealant to another new car in the showroom with plain old wax. The paint sealant made the paint a lot smoother to the point where you can tell the difference just by touching it. As far as interior protection, it a do it yourself Scotch guard job, unless you have leather.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stain guard/fabric protection right away?

Hey there,

I was just wondering if one needs to do the fabric protection right away after buying? I thought I heard/read that they come with a 'base' fabric protection from the factory? I suppose it wouldn't hurt if i sprayed more protection on ... just wondering ..

thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts