Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make a direct, under the hood, high current connection. The ground is easy. The positive connection is not for me at least. It was easy in my gen 3 and 4 Priuses. Just unbolted the output from the dc-dc converter on the fuse block and and my own lug with cable then bolt it back down.
Anybody out there done this with a 2019 or later RAV4 hybrid?
Please include pictures.
Somebody has to have done this for kilowatt amp or inverter or the like.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
526 Posts
Is there some way to use the jump start connection? If this is only needed on a temporary basis, the jump start connection will work, obviously fused around 100 amps. Coincidently, I am starting a 1000 watt inverter mod in my XSE. I am checking the fuse on top of battery to see if its the same 140 amps that is a Prius.

I want to make a direct, under the hood, high current connection. The ground is easy. The positive connection is not for me at least. It was easy in my gen 3 and 4 Priuses. Just unbolted the output from the dc-dc converter on the fuse block and and my own lug with cable then bolt it back down.
Anybody out there done this with a 2019 or later RAV4 hybrid?
Please include pictures.
Somebody has to have done this for kilowatt amp or inverter or the like.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
526 Posts
Here is the thread I started about my project. I suggest you watch the Prius video,

thanks Variman. My similar project is under the hood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would be careful about attaching to the lead acid battery in the rav4 or otherwise. The terminals will heat up with a 100amp+ load and will degrade the battery. I had the best luck with the gen3 prius connecting to the fuse block input from the DC-DC convertor just by adding a lug. Its not so easy on the 2019 RAV4

·
Registered
526 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I am good connecting under the hood. Do you think my idea is sufficient connecting the jumper blade in the fuse box under the hood?

i would be careful about attaching to the lead acid battery in the rav4 or otherwise. The terminals will heat up with a 100amp+ load and will degrade the battery. I had the best luck with the gen3 prius connecting to the fuse block input from the DC-DC convertor just by adding a lug. Its not so easy on the 2019 RAV4

·
Registered
526 Posts
So I ordered a AC/DC clamp meter to attach to my Fluke 87V Now I will be able to measure HV under the hood to find out if there is a stud off the inverter to pick up 12 volts. Why not so easy on the 2019 Rav H?

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would not mind the general location of perhaps a picture of this connection on the Prius as I also have this car. TIA if you can do it. The plan is a third back up form my wife nebulizer and possible O2 concentrator. I already have a tri fuel Yamaha inverter generator but one can never have enough back ups with critical medical devices.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Are you stating that the better connection is off the inverter 12 volt positive side?
Around 1:40 I see the red caps on the Gen 4 prius inverter.

I just bought a AC/DC clamp meter for my Fluke 87v so I will have to check.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts