Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, this is my other car; 328i Xdrive. Sport Line package. Not "stodgy". It even has a Heads-Up display of your speed, and Cruise control status. Not something you get with a RAV4.
I also have a classic, 5 speed E-34 BMW too. That's a 1993 525i.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

So I don't mind the practicality of a Subaru in the winter..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why not just get an X3 then?
Well, I like these BMW sedans. I'm not crazy about the X series. Here is my '93 525i, (below) which I bought in L.A.. Rear wheel drive only, so not a good car for the snow. It is stored in the winter, every winter since I bought it.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

My wife drove our 2017 Subaru Forester. In the 30,000 miles we put on it (leased) we never had any problems. Our 2012 Subaru Tribeca has never had any problems, at 110,000 miles. Rotors and brake pads, a wheel bearing or two, but that has been it.

Anyway , this is getting off topic. I was just suggesting a Subie Forester for the OP who wanted a practical Midsize SUV.
He doesn't like his RAV4

·
Registered
117 Posts
Picked my daughter up from college today. Dreary, rainy day. About 350k miles mostly in the dark. 200 miles on the highway and the rest on country roads anywhere from 30-55 but very hilly for anything I drive through. These were the hills on the way to Cornell University in the Ithaca, NY area. This is probably the 3rd best car I've had that eats hills the other two being a 14 Accord V6 and an 87 Mustang GT. I was amazed at how quickly the battery charges on a very steep downhill going from 60-30, I think I had all the bars on the battery display shaded by applying the brakes in about 3 tenths of a mile. There is no pad being used during this?? Auto high beams worked very well. I tried the manual shifting too and it works very well to bleed off speed but I think the brakes put more energy back into the battery. MPG's were about 38. On pure highway, I think the Accord could match the RAV, it's low and runs on 3 out of the 6 cylinders when the engine isn't loaded but get into town and the MPG's take a huge hit. I have to do this round trip trip 2 more times before Thanksgiving so I plan on taking the RAV unless there is snow in the forecast (I have a Honda Passport with snows).

The infotainment although not pretty to look at worked well, I took calls read texts asked Siri to make calls and texts, listened to Spotify playlists and no issues.

One thing one a little weird. I had slowed down for a truck exiting and when I got back on the gas I think the engine revved to much and there was substantial torque steer. I could have hit a puddle but I tried to duplicate it but it never happened again. This drivetrain operates a much more smoothly than I would have expected form a noisy, unrefined Toyota 2.5. This car keeps on delivering wish I had an XLE but it's a keeper. Really like it, impressed.

·
Registered
2021 Rav
19 Posts
It’s the base model rav what are you expecting a luxury car???? Really this is a great vehicle at least for me

My girl and I both have LE models she had a 2 year old jeep that was crap with drivetrain and electrical issues and I came from a 4 month old Kia seltos that the dc trans would overheat when you looked at it wrong the Kia also was noisey as all hell inside. The le is not teched out, it might be a touch dated but I bought it because Toyota has a good reputation for building reliable long lasting vehicles. The le has a 8 speed auto that’s rated to tow more than my bike and atv weigh(separately) and it’s been a versatile camping and traveling rig for us. Loaded it up for trips to FL, Maine, Wyoming and more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Rav
19 Posts
Picked my daughter up from college today. Dreary, rainy day. About 350k miles mostly in the dark. 200 miles on the highway and the rest on country roads anywhere from 30-55 but very hilly for anything I drive through. These were the hills on the way to Cornell University in the Ithaca, NY area. This is probably the 3rd best car I've had that eats hills the other two being a 14 Accord V6 and an 87 Mustang GT. I was amazed at how quickly the battery charges on a very steep downhill going from 60-30, I think I had all the bars on the battery display shaded by applying the brakes in about 3 tenths of a mile. There is no pad being used during this?? Auto high beams worked very well. I tried the manual shifting too and it works very well to bleed off speed but I think the brakes put more energy back into the battery. MPG's were about 38. On pure highway, I think the Accord could match the RAV, it's low and runs on 3 out of the 6 cylinders when the engine isn't loaded but get into town and the MPG's take a huge hit. I have to do this round trip trip 2 more times before Thanksgiving so I plan on taking the RAV unless there is snow in the forecast (I have a Honda Passport with snows).

The infotainment although not pretty to look at worked well, I took calls read texts asked Siri to make calls and texts, listened to Spotify playlists and no issues.

One thing one a little weird. I had slowed down for a truck exiting and when I got back on the gas I think the engine revved to much and there was substantial torque steer. I could have hit a puddle but I tried to duplicate it but it never happened again. This drivetrain operates a much more smoothly than I would have expected form a noisy, unrefined Toyota 2.5. This car keeps on delivering wish I had an XLE but it's a keeper. Really like it, impressed.
just north of you in cortland

·
Registered
762 Posts
I bought it because Toyota has a good reputation for building reliable long lasting vehicles.
^ THAT'S the reason Toyota is always behind the curve with the high tech stuff. A company cannot buy a reputation like this, it must be earned. And, to a degree, maintained. Toyota is well aware of what consumer perception is. But I think they've been coasting recently while some others have been working hard at improving. The gap between Toyota and Hyundai is not as wide as it was 10 years ago.

·
Registered
2021 Rav
19 Posts
Agree
^ THAT'S the reason Toyota is always behind the curve with the high tech stuff. A company cannot buy a reputation like this, it must be earned. And, to a degree, maintained. Toyota is well aware of what consumer perception is. But I think they've been coasting recently while some others have been working hard at improving. The gap between Toyota and Hyundai is not as wide as it was 10 years ago.
Agree 100% this is the reason the tundra still gets 14mpg and the rest of the trucks can reach the mid 20s. Great rig will out last most 1500 pick ups but damn my Silverado got 24mpg on highway trips to New England

but either way the LE is a well equipped base model or at least an average base model when it comes to tech

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just did 2 more of the same round trip for a total of 3 times. On two of the fill ups it took 8.5 and 8.9 gallons, amazing. I don't think I need another car (aside from a pickup) this one does it all. I think this 2.5 hybrid is going to be the sweet spot for some time. Get something bigger and its' slower with worse MPG''s. Something smaller than a RAV4 doesn't interest me. Sure some more options would have been nice but this one is a keeper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I own a new 2021 RV4 LE Hybrid, as of November 17th. While there is a little more wind noise in the back of the cabin, than our Subaru Tribeca, so far it's a great car. It has 17 inch wheels/tires so cheaper to buy new tires, and easier to swap out for winter tires. Even base model comes with alloy wheels.
Lots of features, IMHO for a base model, though only one USB port and one plug in cigarette lighter socket (12 volt power outlet) up front. No CD player, but you can load up a lot of MP3 files on a tiny USB stick, plug it in, and the audio system lets you search by Album or Artist. FM radio has great reception, and works with HD radio stations. By the way, Sirius XM Sat radio is free now, until December 6rd.
All Wheel Drive kicked in today, as I climbed a steep hill, and you can watch the power directed to rear axles on the "Home" display screen. Regenerative braking is effective, charging the battery while descending hills or slow braking.
Unfortunately, with the cold weather , the mileage isn't as good now as the 38 MPG I got driving home from the dealer. When I try to run it only on battery power, display shows "EV Mode not available". Is this because of cold weather? The battery is supposed to give the car a 24 mile range in EV mode.
Other features we had to take, with our car, Blind Spot and Cross Traffic warning (as you back up out of a driveway,) is useful. Amber icon flashes in side mirrors, when another vehicle is passing behind, or a car passing, on the highway in our blind spot. Also has Enhanced Cruise Control where car will maintain a safe distance behind other cars with Cruise Control engaged. More features, Like Lane Assist, to keep car tracking between the lines, on the highway, to explore.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

No heated seats, in base model which would be nice here in Vermont, but heater seems very effective. Manual seats, but easy to adjust.
Paid MSRP plus the factory added Blind Spot monitor , see above and a special paint upgrade. Car was delivered in one month from deposit to picking it up, at dealer, here in Vermont. Built in Kentucky.
my 2 c worth

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
680 Posts
No, in regular hybrid, not prime, the ev mode is only for speeds under 19mph. The hybrid will go into ev mode on its own for short periods but there is no way to drive in ev only like you can with Prime.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That’s mostly true. Ev kicks in on downhill, while parked and sometimes at highway speeds depending on how much battery was charged.
Le hybrid is smooth and refined.
I was not impressed with ice le

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sorry I need to clarify my post.
I meant to say that unlike Prime , which can be driven in pure ev mode from start to highway speeds , regular hybrid does not have that option. The ev only button allows you to drive in pure ev mode only under 17mph. You can croll on parking lot such but as soon as you hit 19mph the ev only mode is off. The car will cycle to ev and ice mode as needed all other time. Yes it will go into ev mode on highway now and again but you can not control it like you can with Prime.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry I need to clarify my post.
I meant to say that unlike Prime , which can be driven in pure ev mode from start to highway speeds , regular hybrid does not have that option. The ev only button allows you to drive in pure ev mode only under 17mph. You can croll on parking lot such but as soon as you hit 19mph the ev only mode is off. The car will cycle to ev and ice mode as needed all other time. Yes it will go into ev mode on highway now and again but you can not control it like you can with Prime.
Well, when I try and simply move the car, at very low speed, in our driveway a few feet by manually selecting EV Mode, the display says "EV mode not available'.
I think it has something to do with the heater being turned on, and ICE motor starting, trying to supply heat, in the cold weather we have now. So maybe I will try it again with the heater off. Traction battery appears to have enough charge to move the car.
I think I was able to put it into EV mode for a short distance, at the dealers lot, when the weather was warmer. Then after a mile or so (I may have pressed the accelerator too much) the motor started, while I was driving.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well like I said earlier, the regular hybrid don't have a real ev mode.
So many factors can interfere with it that I personally almost never use it. I try now and than, like in the drive in at MD or BK but that is it.
The battery is just not big enough to make it worth my while.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
360 Posts
You enter the VIN and registration into the software and it validated the info.
Your total rebate is based on how much you owe in taxes and is adjusted from total taxable income.
Nothing frodulent was done. There is special form.
The tax software has no idea what VIN means what. They don't "link" to the DMV or Toyota or anything to verify that the VIN is for a PHEV or EV. It is just an entry form.
Why would you say that.
I did nothing wrong.
I provided all info I had and got a result. If there is a bug in the software it isn't my fault.
Since your tax preparer made the mistake, you are correct that you did nothing wrong. They made an error. You are likely financially responsible for the error - I'm sure their agreement says something to that affect. Usually they will re-file for free, if the mistake was theirs, but you are the one responsible for any taxes due.
While initially you did nothing wrong / it was an honest mistake ...

You have now been informed and are currently aware that your taxes were filed incorrectly and that you received approximately $7k in tax credit that you were not entitled to. By not correcting the error that you are now aware of, you are committing tax fraud.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts