Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
360 Posts
Well like I said earlier, the regular hybrid don't have a real ev mode.
So many factors can interfere with it that I personally almost never use it. I try now and than, like in the drive in at MD or BK but that is it.
The battery is just not big enough to make it worth my while.
...exactly why you should not be receiving an EV tax credit!!! :poop:

·
Registered
78 Posts
...exactly why you should not be receiving an EV tax credit!!! :poop:
The battery size on it's own, has nothing to do with the EV tax credit. The Tax credit is only available to "plug in" or pure EV cars. So my Hybrid could have a larger Traction battery, but it still would not be eligible for the EV TX Credit, because you can't plug it in to external power, to charge the traction battery..
"
This is a new vehicle with at least four wheels that:
• Is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor
that draws electricity from a battery that has a capacity of
not less than 4 kilowatt hours and is capable of being
recharged from an external source of electricity,

from IRS form 8936

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
360 Posts
The battery size on it's own, has nothing to do with the EV tax credit. The Tax credit is only available to "plug in" or pure EV cars. So my Hybrid could have a larger Traction battery, but it still would not be eligible for the EV TX Credit, because you can't plug it in to external power, to charge the traction battery..
"
This is a new vehicle with at least four wheels that:
• Is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor
that draws electricity from a battery that has a capacity of
not less than 4 kilowatt hours and is capable of being
recharged from an external source of electricity,

from IRS form 8936
Well the hybrid battery is less than 4kwh and wouldn't qualify that way either.

Just pointing out the absurdity of them thinking a regular hybrid would get the full ev credit.

·
Super Moderator
11,604 Posts
I see sometimes hybrid referred to as RAV4 EV in scroll down menus
You are correct and it is confusing.

Under Fourth generation "4.4 Electric RAV4 Hybrid & EV" is listed even tho to my knowledge there never was a 4th gen EV.
The title is likely a holdover from the 4.3 models where there actually was a very limited production EV version.

And under Fifth generation "4.5 Rav4 Electric Hybrid" is listed. That's misleading because the term "Hybrid" means there is electric involved. So the topic should be either "4.5 RAV4 Gas-Electric Hybrid" or better simply "4.5 RAV4 Hybrid" but of course the Prime would fit in that category too.

I've noticed this discrepancy by whoever makes up the titles for years but never pursued having it fixed. Maybe it's time.

·
Super Moderator
11,604 Posts
I would be rubbing my eyes if I saw a 4.3 RAV4 at a charging station.
They were limited to California I believe but we did have several members that had them. As I remember Toyota eventually recalled them back then as they were losing big $$$ on each one.

If one escaped it would look like this: EV rav4 emblem

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m sure I’m in the minority here but after a month with my new car, there’s nothing really inspiring.
While shopping for it vs others, I considered all the usual: value, resale, reliability, economy, etc.
Finding a good vehicle w/o a CVT or DSG transmission narrowed my choice a lot!
My LE has so many rattling, hard plastic snap-in panels, road & engine noise…! Toyota has great stuff but this generation is really constructed lightly and cheaply. IMHO. The performance and handling is kind of medium too. Yeah, I know, the hybrid is better but out of stock and my budget.
I’m adding sound deadening mats this week to help hush up this tin can.
Just rambling, venting with buyer’s remorse In this worst of all times for auto shopping. So, not much to to consider swapping for..
go ahead, roast me
THIS IS MY FIRST EVER IMPORT-2019 RAV4 PREM- NOT WHAT I EXPECTED, LOW QUAILTY- LOT OF ROAD NOISE-BAD SERVICE DEPARTMENT-GOOD ENGINE AND MILEAGE, THATS ALL. I WILL GO BACK TO CHEVY NEXT TIME.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 hybrid XLE, Magnetic Grey metallic, cold weather package.
680 Posts
You know, you don't have to scream Mack. You don't like the car, you have an option to trade it in for something you like.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
THIS IS MY FIRST EVER IMPORT-2019 RAV4 PREM- NOT WHAT I EXPECTED, LOW QUAILTY- LOT OF ROAD NOISE-BAD SERVICE DEPARTMENT-GOOD ENGINE AND MILEAGE, THATS ALL. I WILL GO BACK TO CHEVY NEXT TIME.
If you are wanting to get back in a Chevy then you must REALLY be dissatisfied with your RAV4. But then again, I rank having a "good engine and mileage" very high on my vehicle requirements list.

·
Super Moderator
11,604 Posts
You know, you don't have to scream Mack. You don't like the car, you have an option to trade it in for something you like.
If you are wanting to get back in a Chevy then you must REALLY be dissatisfied with your RAV4. But then again, I rank having a "good engine and mileage" very high on my vehicle requirements list.
Apparently he both doesn't know how to turn off CAPS and can't decide which brand car he ACTUALLY likes. This is from 10 months ago:
HAD A 2012 EQUINOX, LOVED IT, GOT SOME MILES ON IT TRADED IT IN ON A 2019 EQUINOX- JUNK- FROM DAY ONE TROUBLE- A/C QUIT WOULD TAKE 2 MONTHS TO GET THE PARTS - RADIO WAS CHEAP, TRIED TO UPDATE IT, NOTHING THE REAR LIFT DOOR KEPT FALLING DOWN THE TURBO CHARGER HOSE BLEW OFF. AND NOISE IN FRONT END ANYWAY WITH 2000 MILES ON IT AND NO HELP FROM GM, I LOST $5500.00 BUYING A TOYOTA RAV4, BEST VEHICLE SO FAR, NEVER OWNED AN IMPORT BEFORE, BUT WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER GM "CAR" PRODUCT. (I OWN A 2016 CHEVY PICK UP-NICE TRUCK)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mack is consistent. Even his user name is all caps. I love this forum. Even the mods give people crap. 😂

• Wow
Reactions: paperboy

·
Registered
70 Posts
To the original poster I think you made a wise choice. You may have buyers remorse but most people love their Rav4. They went to the Atkinson cycle engine on the newest model with direct and port fuel injection for incredible gas mileage. Think of the engine sound as powerful instead of noisy. Drive in sport mode whenever possible. Check your tires for overinflation to help smooth out the ride. If you are still that unhappy I would suggest getting the hybrid or Prime. You probably can get all the money back you paid for the car and maybe more. Make the best of it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You probably can get all the money back you paid for the car and maybe more. Make the best of it.
That's probably one benefit of the crazy market right now - provided you have the luxury of time, you can very likely get the purchase price (or perhaps even more!) back for the car you bought and try something else. I recently read an article stating used Rav4s are selling for about 2.8% more than new ones, simply because they are available for immediate purchase.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts