Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this might be useful to anyone who was in the same position I was in.

I have a RAV4.1 SWB which I use for night rallies (I live in the Isle of Man where we can rally in standard road cars around the backroads, hills and plantations).

I was driving down a very moderate off road track around Christmas time when the car cut out, stinking of fuel. I had to pull out of the rally, and had to be recovered, assuming that I had split the tank or ruptured a fuel line.

When I got the car home, there appearsed to be no fuel leaks ANYWHERE. We checked for spark - it had spark. We checked for compression - there was compression. We checked for fuel coming from the pump to the rail - there was fuel being pumped. I checked for ECU flash codes - no faults. We checked relays, fuses, hoses.... you name it - we checked it. It would not fire up.

I had several good mechanics look at it, no one could figure out what was stopping it from running.

Just as I was about to call the scrap grim reaper, we towed it to my girlfriend's Dad's farm, whilst there we discovered that there was a clip missing from the air box, and 2 cracks had developed in the upper (clean side) air box casing. This has allowed some muddy water to be sucked in (this car spends 70% of its life at wide open throttle for extended periods of time), but once we deconstructed the intake pipes we discovered several pieces of straw wedged in vacuum pipes - and most tellingly - the MAP sensor.

We didn't think this would stop the car running, but popped all the necessaries back on, tried to fire up the car..... and it started like it had never had a problem, first flick of the key.

Really, really random I know, but I searched and searched for weeks and was about to scrap the car - if this helps 1 person out of a million, then it's worth me telling you this lengthy and rather random story ?

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
Thanks I appreciate the heads up on this issue.

I had a similar issue, I was driving across fields of bahia grass which grow long stalks with seeds at the ends, and because the RAV4.1 intake is so low, it sucked up a lot of these stalks and completely blocked the air intake choking her down. The filter was fine and I never checked the intake, so I was about to give up on her when I finally got around to checking the intake closely and found the problem. To make sure I never had the problem again I installed a completely different intake system and a snorkel. See my link - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/244849-air-intake-mods.html

Reactions: Treg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks eodgator - I had already stumbled across your very useful thread actually.

One question I was going to ask you if you felt any noticeable drop in throttle response due to this intake being somewhat longer than the standard one? I heavily rely on throttle response as a means to correct horrendous broadsides in the forest �� ��

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,048 Posts
Thanks eodgator - I had already stumbled across your very useful thread actually.

One question I was going to ask you if you felt any noticeable drop in throttle response due to this intake being somewhat longer than the standard one? I heavily rely on throttle response as a means to correct horrendous broadsides in the forest �� ��
Nothing noticeable, at speed I think the ram air effect from the intake being in "clean air" while driving improves performance. The hose sizes are all 3" except for the 3" to 4" adapter hoses where it goes into and out of the 4" filter box. I was thinking about experimenting with an adjustable restrictor plate on the filtered air side of the filter box and recording the results using the app Torque and a OBDII reader. I've got too much on my plate to take this on anytime soon. When I do, I'll update this thread.

Here is where I got a lot of information on how to install my snorkel - https://www.drive2.ru/l/8988474/. The main difference is that he modified and used the stock air box.

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I started to read the first post I immediately thought that you might have upset
"The Little People" by not being polite enough when crossing a certain bridge on the road
going south from Douglas. Twice when visiting the I.O.M. for the TT races I managed to
upset them and had problems until I went and apologized.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts