Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, now I can somewhat sympathize with those who claim unintended acceleration. It blew my mind, and I understand it was somehow operator error, but it all happened so quickly that I cannot figure out what I did wrong.

At a city stop sign, getting ready to turn right, in new snow and the engine just bursts into high revs. I stood on the brake and shoved it into neutral then park, all within a couple seconds, and it returned to normal. No harm.

But it did create a bit of mental fog.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Weird! I keep expecting it to happen to me, but it hasn't yet. So, are you a believer now?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weird! I keep expecting it to happen to me, but it hasn't yet. So, are you a believer now?
No, James. I am not a believer. I think it was operator error - my own. I am merely describing the event and how it is difficult for me to understand how I made it happen.

Very best,
Pico

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had this happen once. I was leaving work and I forgot to take off my huge work boots. Came up to the first stop light, hit the brakes, but the Rav wouldn't stop. I quickly realized that I was hitting the brake and gas pedal at the same time. Almost needed a change of shorts....

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Unintended engine acceleration happened to me in our garage. Started the engine, put my foot onto the brake to shift from Park into Drive, and the engine revs increased dramatically. Took my foot off the brake and the revs dropped to normal. Obviously a case of my EEE foot having been on both the brake and the accelerator pedal at the same time.

The incident was a bit of a shock at first, then I was rather bewildered about how I managed to have my foot on both at the same time when I knew better than to do that.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have done one foot on both brake and gas before...scared the crap out of me LOL...those pedals do seem closer together than other automatics I've had...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have done one foot on both brake and gas before...scared the crap out of me LOL...those pedals do seem closer together than other automatics I've had...
Agreed, very much so.

I wonder how long it will be before ronto chimes in.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
I wonder how long it will be before ronto chimes in.
Yeah, this thread is very useful so far.
We'll see how this here youngster makes out today. Will be driving the RAV4 about 60 miles in about five inches of snow with the big boots on. Hopefully I can keep the left and right pedals straight.

I gave the last UA thread a dozen posts before getting closed. I think it made ten. We'll see how many this one will last until it goes "ronto." But we still love you man! :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
166 Posts
... snipped ... I have done one foot on both brake and gas before ... those pedals do seem closer together than other automatics I've had.
+1. I don't have a particularly wide foot but I've depressed both the brake and accelerator pedals at the same time a couple of times now in the past 6 months since we've owned our RAV. I haven't measured anything but my driving instincts tell me that the pedals are closer together than any other vehicle I've ever driven. ~ BugJr ~

·
Registered
54 Posts
Happened to me in another car after I had taken the car to the car wash and taken the mat out to wash off. I had put the mat back in haphazardly and it was partially covering the gas pedal. So when I hit the brake it was also pushing down on the gas. Needless to say, checking and re-checking that the mat is completely underneath the pedals has become somewhat of an obsession for me after any removal of the mat!

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to laugh after it happened considering that I drive heel-and-toe in my sports car all the time. I blame it on old-age. :)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I have tried to do it on purpose and it's very difficult. I almost have to turn my average sized foot sideways to do it. Plus I never wear large boots.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have tried to do it on purpose and it's very difficult. I almost have to turn my average sized foot sideways to do it. Plus I never wear large boots.
Aw, James. You gotta move to the Tropics of MinneSnowta and wear these:

Oh, see the air valve on the side? BPMS! Boot Pressure Monitoring!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
No problems with the boots on in today's snow storm. What wasn't fun was driving home from the eye appointment in the storm with sunglasses on because my eyes were dilated!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
We'll see how many this one will last until it goes "ronto." But we still love you man! :thumbs_up:
Well, to be fair...

ronto didn't start/restart this thread, so they may not know it exists yet.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
UA - MOI?
Reminds me of a line in the old Coasters song Charlie Brown. "Who me? YEAH YOU!" (from 1959, BTW)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts