Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing a USB outlet I removed the front panel of the sigaret lighter plug. I noticed that two not used connectors are behind the front panel, as shown in the pictures. A black, and a smaller white one.
Can anybody tell me where those connecters are to be used for?

Close up:

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
They could be for seat heaters, or windshield de-icer (mandatory in Canada).

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
They could be for seat heaters, or windshield de-icer (mandatory in Canada).
Yep, they're for whatever switches go in the blank holes in the front panel - and according to my owner's manual that's exactly what they're for.

Wonder if I'll get a :thumbs_up: THANKS for researching this one.
After all I did have to dig all the way to Page 3! :wink

Reactions: Theo

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dr.Dyno, ofcourse my thanks!

When you say switches for seat heaters and wind shield de-icer, I think this is the pre-wiring, and non of them are installed.
Or could it be that my seats have heater mats installed which are fisicly just not connected, because it was not in the option package?
(A friend of mine had a Nissan with no airco, when you bought the cheap Airco control unit for in the dash and connected it, you had airco! The airco pump, etc. was already pre-installed.)

And I do have a 4 cilinder RAV4 EU version. The Hill Assist button is also in place, as you can see in the first picture. You see the back of the switch on the right.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'm a little late to the thread, but here is a picture of my 2008 Limited (V6 Canadian).

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Dr. Dyno, of course my thanks!

When you say switches for seat heaters and wind shield de-icer, I think this is the pre-wiring, and none of them are installed.
Or could it be that my seats have heater mats installed which are physically just not connected, because it was not in the option package?
Appreciate it Theo, and Rickl's picture confirms it. He, I and others often research items especially for newer members but then never hear back from them. It's satisfying when we do.

Altho Toyota is using a main harness that includes wiring and connectors for various uninstalled options I doubt you'd have unactivated seat heaters. They'd be part of the many seat options - different colors & materials, some with heaters, some w/o, some powered, some manual. Would be easy to check by looking under the seat for an unused connector.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've put the camera under the passenger seat and found some interesting connectors and cabling.

In this picture taken from the under front of the seat you can see tree cables with connectors each one coming out of one black flexible wire tube from the ground. Two cables/connectors are connected and one not is used:

In this picture taken from the under back of the seat you can see a yellow silicon flat cable running towards the back of the seat, disappearing upwards in to the seat's back support. Could not guess where that one is going or used for:

And in this picture you see a flat pcb cable with the name AISIN, coming out of the seat part of the passenger chair.

I checked the drivers seat and the same connectors and cables are present, only not the AISIN flat pcb cable. So I'll guess this is the seat belt warning sensor.

Possibly the not used white connectors should be connected to the seat heaters, when installed of course. Like the picture Rickl posted.
Then this is what Dr. Dyno wrote; the cable harness is fully wired, but not all options have to be installed and connected.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I like these mysteries and look forward to answers.

AISIN, by the way, is a company which makes, among other things, electronic safety devices.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
I like these mysteries and look forward to answers.

AISIN, by the way, is a company which makes, among other things, electronic safety devices.
Yes, AISIN is a Toyota subsidiary that makes the transmission along with the electric motors for the sunroof, and power seat.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The passenger seat probably has some wires for knowing if a passenger is sitting in the seat, and others for detecting whether or not the seat belt is fastened.

If there are airbags in the seat, I would think those would have some wiring too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is what I could think of too.
1 connector/cable for the seat belt warning.
1 connector/cable for the seat's airbag, because it's yellow colored.
1 connector/cable left, not connected, maybe for seat heaters, etc.

Again there are no left over connectors coming out of the seat, so nothing is inside lik heater mat or electric seat adjustments.
It's just the general cable harness having all the connectors pre-installed for the different options, but not present, or connected.

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
....It's just the general cable harness having all the connectors pre-installed for the different options, but not present, or connected.
Agreed. And it means you could probably add a seat heater and the dash switch and have it all work with the existing wiring.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed. And it means you could probably add a seat heater and the dash switch and have it all work with the existing wiring.
That's true Dr. Dyno, but after reading the DIY seat heater topic in this forum, I pass. Men, what a job... Complete removing and opening seats, like high level tailor work. Not sure if this is worth it.

Btw:
I see that the original seat heater control switch is only one, just L+R On/Off.
Saw the Chinese heater version in the DIY seat heater topic which has two separate switches with On/Off and individual temperature control. Looks better, but than again, the complete installation... :-(

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
That's true Dr. Dyno, but after reading the DIY seat heater topic in this forum, I pass. Man, what a job... Complete removing and opening seats, like high level tailor work. Not sure if this is worth it.
Yeah, you'd really have to want it. Ours has cloth seats so heaters aren't really needed.
My Accord and 2001 F-250 have leather so you pretty much need a heater in winter. Accord has two settings; F-250, one. I'd rather not have leather and need the heaters but that's the way the Hybrid Accord and the Lariat F-250 come.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have cloth seats too, don't like leather to much. Cold in winter, and sticks to your thighs in summer.
And then, over here in The Netherlands winters are not that cold anymore, hardly any snow.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
]The Netherlands winters are not that cold anymore, hardly any snow.
We here in S/W Minnesota which has similar weather so far has also had a freakish warm low-snow season. We are grateful for the immediate relief, but more concerned because it is a drought for crops. Not good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts