Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this through e-mail and am wondering what the validity of this is:

Subject: Locking Your Keys In The Car

Important Information that could be useful some day!

Did you lock your keys in your car ???? Did you know this?? If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone on your (or someone else's) cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button of your key fob (clicker), holding it near the phone on their end. Your car doors will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.

Distance is no object you could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk!).

I locked the car had my youngest daughter call me while I was far away from the car. I clicked open into the phone and I could hear the car doors unlock through her cell phone. My daughter confirmed that sure enough the doors opened.

Pass this one on to your friends
Tried to do this experiment on our cars at home, but the remotes work at a great distance and did not want to look foolish trying it out elsewhere. Anybody know if this is for real or not. :?: :roll:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
but the remotes work at a great distance and did not want to look foolish trying it out elsewhere
Sure Derek, have one of us to hold the cell phone towards our empty car in a parking lot and hope now one calls the police. :lol:

Seriously though, It sounds similar to the handshake of the modems or fax machines. But that is audible. :roll:
I wonder if they both were using cells and the radio signal piggybacks.

Walt :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: I guess it was too good to be true. :lol:

I agree with the last part of that article. Me and my wife are so used to using our remotes to lock/unlock the doors of our cars that we hardly ever lock the keys in our cars unknowingly.

Thanks for the fast reply Kelly, now moving on to better things. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts