Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to contact my local Toyota dealer (web site) to see whate approximately it would cost to purchase a 2006 RAV2 Sport with a 4 Cyl. and AT. MSRP was $25,660. Then comes the sorry joke!!! To the price they have a "Delivery,Process & Handling fee"=$650 and then an additional $300 Documentation fee. In my old home state of ILL. it was viewed as bordering on fraud and the state caped the fees at 40 dollars. Here in Florida, the dealer charges whatever he wants. My last new vehicle was purchased in FL. and they tried to charge me $425 for some "Documentation fee". I reminded them that an excessive charge like that was considered bordering on fraud in IL. and IL. lawmakers caped those fees at $40. They said everyone charges that amount and it's in our contract and can't be changed. I said I'm sorry for having wasted your time and mine and before I reached the door the manager wanted to talk about it. He did, I did and I paid $125. Really too bad that Florida does not protect the uninformed and fixed income seniors from this kind of abuse. BE SURE YOUR DEALER DOES NOT TRY TO SCREW YOU WITH EXCESSIVE EXTRA FEES. I have learned now that some states do have a MAXIMUM CAP on any extra Documentation fees, what ever the dealer tries to call them. The cap is also only a max imum cap and you need not even pay that fee. Thanks for the vent time. Ed

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know puttputt. The $40 dollars cap is for the document service and does not cover the state licence renewal or new licence charge or registration. I believe the licence transfer state charge is $15 and renewal is based on car weight (My car is 3200 lbs and the charge is $39). So a dealer in IL will charge me $39+$15+ a Doc fee of up to $40 or a max legal charge of $94.00.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts