Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I travel about an hour and a half to get to my avian veterinarian, and this past Monday, I took my cockatoo in. Previously I had 9 year old Prius (until I was rear-ended and it was totaled) and my bird always rode fine in it. But my bird got terribly car sick in my Rav4 hybrid.

I suppose it could have had something to do with the "new car smell". I will try putting some foam under her carrier next time, to help absorb any roughness of the ride. My dogs do fine, but birds are terribly sensitive.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems and/or has any suggestions, as I'd like to try to avoid this problem in the future.

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Sorry, the only bird in my car is the one I flip to idiot drivers.

·
Premium Member
7,938 Posts
Aside from the outgassing of plastics being an issue since birds have very sensitive respiratory systems, I'd recommend covering the cage with a light colored cloth, a bed sheet or towel, we always cover ours when making trips to the avian vet, have never had one get any more sick than they already were which is the only time they go to the vet. I've read that the visual impact of movement in the car can cause avian motion sickness which has more impact than the actual movement itself.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
No pets here and so no such problems! :wink

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Quickdtoo and rn701.

I do cover my bird's carrier. The carrier is turned so the front faces me in the driver's seat, and I leave the front exposed so I can talk to her and check that she is OK. But perhaps I could cover the front partially to limit her view of things whizzing by. The article rn701 referenced is interesting and I may give ginger "tea" a chance.

My poor bird has been through so much (she is a rescue), so I try to make life as easy as I can for her. Thank you for these suggestions.

I will say, I moved across about half the country with 20 or so birds some 20 years ago. One of my large birds always gets carsick. I traveled with Pedialyte and stopped every 2 to 3 hours to give him some so he didn't get dehydrated. It was a long trip, but we made it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts