Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent a :surprise load on getting my suspension aligned. All the rear adjustment fittings were rusted solid, so had to be cut out and replaced, with new lower bottom transverse arms.

I thought all was great, until something made me check the rear wheels alignment, by eye. My rear left wheel/tire is about 5/8" or 15mm further out than the right :crying

Now there can be only 4, I think, causes.
Bad accident and rear bodywork repaired badly.
Rear suspension mount not central.
Transverse suspension arm lengths different side to side.
Wheel bearing/hub not right.

Now the bodywork looks OK and not recorded as an insurance write off. Arms unlikely to be different. Rear suspension mount also unlikely to have slotted mounting holes for bolting to body.
Hub also not a common problem.

I haven't measured the length of the arms yet, or had the wheels off to have a closer look.
There are 2 bolts and 2 nuts holding the mount to the body, so considered loosening them and trying to push it over to one side.
Other option (bodge) is to fit a spacer to the right side to even up the wheels.

I haven't had this since I had a car with leaf springs. Anyone ever heard of something like this or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The rear suspension mount, or cradle that holds the diff in place as I refer to it can be re positioned, I loosened the bolts on mine when I was removing the front diff rubber bushes, when you move it you can see where it was before because of the dirt and clean paint it reveals. Of all the things you have suggested I would think this is most likely the cause and with the wheels off should be easiest to check.
Second thing I would suggest, the last time I had the rear alignment adjusted on a car (Mercedes) they aligned the rear to the front (four wheel alignment) in other words as well as checking toe in and out on the rear wheels and the camber, they checked them relevant to the fronts. Of course that car may be completely different and maybe the Rav runs a wider tracker at one end to the other as most cars do but do you know if it was checked, if it was then maybe it's been aligned with a front wheel that's out or in too far.....?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken, will check out the mount/cradle, although not sure I'll get 7.5mm of movement. Anything will be better though and even 5mm would be great.

I don't think the alignment would do that on our suspension.

The weather here at the moment means I won't be doing anything too involved for a while.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
An update. When I had the rear bushes and arms changed, they only changed one of the trailing arm bushes, the right side, as the other wasn't rusted solid and could be adjusted. To save me money they said.

When it was in for some other work, I had the bush on the other side changed and 4 wheel alignment redone, to slightly different specs this time.

The difference between left and right wheels is nearly the same now, only about 5mm out. So the difference was caused due to the bushes being in different conditions and the cheap arse (British for ass) way Toyota have to adjust toe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts