Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered new Rav4 Hybrid Limited. Dealer located one and was now has the car. I stopped there today to view and inspect before taking delivery. I'm totally annoyed, car has Body Side Moulding which I personally dislike, Dealer said they will remove the moldings. Has anyone removed these moldings without and sign of damage to the paint(Blizzard Pearl)? I gave the salesperson and the guy that just called me who claimed to be the locator manager a verbal going over. Should I insist on another car or give them a shot at removal of the moldings?

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
I'd refuse it and wait for another to your liking. That is assuming it wasn't standard but dealer-added.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd refuse it and wait for another to your liking. That is assuming it wasn't standard but dealer-added.

Was from factory as Protection Package. Appears on the original factory window sticker. Not dealer installed. Regardless, I don't want it. I believe this can be removed without harm. Told dealer these are my conditions: They remove the moldings, I inspect, if perfect no problem. If I reject they locate another car. The owner of the dealership knows me, they've been told to get this right either way and be certain Im satisfied. So tomorrow they remove the moldings and I'll inspect. Hopefully allot to do about nothing but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Why are you so upset about them? I think they give kind of a character line. Not to mention I had a dent from a jerk in a parking lot on my 14 rav without mouldings that could have been prevented with them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its matter of taste....I just don't like that look. Regarding the Rav4, I prefer the clean look. Yes, i understand the potential to save unwanted ding, I'm extra careful where and how I park. Besides there's no guarantee the ding-bat that opens their door will hit the moulding anyway. But as I said, matter of taste.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,087 Posts
Since its freshly applied it shouldn't be difficult to remove, just needs a little heat and finesse. Worst case a little lacquer thinner will dissolve the adhesive.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since its freshly applied it shouldn't be difficult to remove, just needs a little heat and finesse. Worst case a little lacquer thinner will dissolve the adhesive.
I tend to agree, my main concern was damage to the clear-coat. I'm assuming there should no differentiation in paint color after removal since car brand new and unweathered. I'm still so annoyed they made this happen in first place. I think the guy they have doing these vehicle acquisitions is inattentive. Dealer is very good, owner is caring and sincere in customer satisfaction. Just has a staff that screws things up sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Ya, being new it would not be difficult to remove without damage to the clearcoat. I would not remove them from a dark vehicle after more than a few months, but on Blizzard Pearl, it's a simple matter to cut the adhesive with monofilament, a rubber 3M trim tape wheel removes the remains of the tape just like an eraser, followed by a cleanup with lacquer thinner and a good wax job.
It's time-consuming to do it right, but it's not difficult.

Up to you if you want a new car, but it may be difficult to get a Limited without the protection package and it may have to be ordered in from the factory that way. Even my wife's XLE came with the clear 3M door edge guards and door handle cups. My Corolla came with the back rubber rear bumper overlay that protects the paint from objects being loaded into the trunk.

I installed side molding on both myself ;)

The strips on my '06 Silverado began to yellow and I stripped them off like that without problems after 2 years, but it was a non-metallic white.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The "Protection Package" is region specific. Here you only see it on specific models and almost never on the Limited.

·
Member-RAV4 ReGeneration
264 Posts
I wish I would have had the option for a protection package. I like the side molding, and plan to install, when it warms up more here. Invariably, someone will eventually throw open their vehicle door, and ding my sides. However, I realize it's definitely a personal preference.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya, being new it would not be difficult to remove without damage to the clearcoat. I would not remove them from a dark vehicle after more than a few months, but on Blizzard Pearl, it's a simple matter to cut the adhesive with monofilament, a rubber 3M trim tape wheel removes the remains of the tape just like an eraser, followed by a cleanup with lacquer thinner and a good wax job.
It's time-consuming to do it right, but it's not difficult.

Up to you if you want a new car, but it may be difficult to get a Limited without the protection package and it may have to be ordered in from the factory that way. Even my wife's XLE came with the clear 3M door edge guards and door handle cups. My Corolla came with the back rubber rear bumper overlay that protects the paint from objects being loaded into the trunk.

I installed side molding on both myself ;)

The strips on my '06 Silverado began to yellow and I stripped them off like that without problems after 2 years, but it was a non-metallic white.

Thats odd, its the exception here, all Limited's I've ever seen have no Protection Package. Thats why I was so thrown when they presented this car they acquired from another dealer with the package. Matter of taste, I just prefer having nothing along the side. Talked to dealer today, plan is they will remove the moulding tomorrow. They reasoned weather here expected to be over 90F, better to attempt when surface is hot. Plausible. Our agreement is if I'm not satisfied they will get another car. My only concern is they not effect the clear-coat. This is Blizzard Pearl. If they're able to use monofilament as you explained then roll the adhesive off with thumb pressure it should be fine. On other hand if they're using polishing compounds to remove, then clear-coat gets reduced. Thats what concerns me. Know tomorrow I guess. Thanks for the input....appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I tend to agree, my main concern was damage to the clear-coat. I'm assuming there should no differentiation in paint color after removal since car brand new and unweathered. I'm still so annoyed they made this happen in first place. I think the guy they have doing these vehicle acquisitions is inattentive. Dealer is very good, owner is caring and sincere in customer satisfaction. Just has a staff that screws things up sometimes.
Could also be that most people would welcome the addition and they just assumed you would too.

Exact same thing happened to me, and I'm very glad I got the side molding personally.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just visited the dealer, they showed me the car with the Body-Side Moldings removed. Looks perfect, absolute no evidence they were ever there, no paint damage, just perfect. They waited until today, 92F to have their guy do the removal. Said hot day best time. Well its done and I'm satisfied. I'll take delivery next week. Looking forward to it. Thanks for indulging me with this silly buy annoying cosmetic issue. All matter of taste, I can understand reasoning of those that like the moulding, damage prevention makes sense. I just wanted the clean look. I'll likely have questions when I take delivery, hybrid new experience for me. Thanks again....Bob

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm with you, can't stand the molding. I think it looks tacky and much worse with age. Besides, when a door gets opened into you it never hits the molding.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm with you, can't stand the molding. I think it looks tacky and much worse with age. Besides, when a door gets opened into you it never hits the molding.
The RAV side molding is painted (to match vehicle) hard plastic, and the finish on it will last just as long as your vehicle, so dismiss that silly idea.

As far as "never working", I don't have a crystal ball, but last car I sold after 8 years driving had ZERO door dings with trim on it.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Wife's Rav took a hit while in vacation... looks like someone jabbed the edge of a knife and cut a little flap out of the... yep... BSM, 2" behind the back of the front door.
Would have been an ugly mark and likely dent on the rear door, now it's just a small black line that is not really noticeable, if it bothered me I could put a little super glue into it and push the "flap" back down.

My '16 Corolla has two small marks on the BSM, nothing on the paint.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The RAV side molding is painted (to match vehicle) hard plastic, and the finish on it will last just as long as your vehicle, so dismiss that silly idea.
It depends on the color and manufacturer.
Toyota is pretty solid. GM is notoriously bad for the "white" moulding yellowing in a very short time (my '06 Silverado was yellow within a year).

The unpainted black mouldings do tend to turn grey, same as unpainted bumpers and cladding.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It depends on the color and manufacturer.
Toyota is pretty solid. GM is notoriously bad for the "white" moulding yellowing in a very short time (my '06 Silverado was yellow within a year).

The unpainted black mouldings do tend to turn grey, same as unpainted bumpers and cladding.
That is why I said the RAV molding, and we are talking about the 2017 OEM molding here.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts