Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone considered upgrading the single-point brake lights in the tail lights to something larger? is that even possible? I just sort of lament how small they are when driving in daytime.

·
Registered
67 Posts
has anyone considered upgrading the single-point brake lights in the tail lights to something larger? is that even possible? I just sort of lament how small they are when driving in daytime.
This thread discusses the issue you are talking about: https://www.rav4world.com/threads/correcting-toyota-design-flaw-brake-light.301310/

There is a $122 harness/mod (shipping included) which activates the "inner" brake LEDs with the brake pedal while your headlights are off. While the headlights are on, it is passive. See post #19 for ordering details and post #29 for video of it in action.

Originally I had decided to pass on it, but now that I see a video of the effect, I like the idea. Might go on the future mods list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks - I saw this post but I didn't really mean modify to activate the inner lights, but rather just replace the LED bulbs in the body-side light fixture to a brighter or larger surface area light.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ah, gotcha. I pulled the side lenses off to replace the blinker halogens with LED a while ago. The brake lights are not easily replaceable and use a Toyota wiring harness rather than the standard plug/wedge type. I don't know if there is a replacement for them out there, but a quick search proved fruitless.

This video shows the tail light assembly:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts