Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day/Night Fellow RAV 4 Enthusiasts,

I have purchased a 2013 RAV 4 XLE and was hoping that you could enlighten me as to the ways that you have upgraded your RAV4.

Personally, I am looking at upgrading the interior/exterior lights with LED bulbs and was looking for feedback regarding this.

Additionally, if you have any recommendations for upgrades that you have performed and why you feel they were useful, I would be more than happy to hear them.

I am primarily a person who will typically perform an upgrade for functional versus aesthetic reasons. Inevitably, there are times when you buy something that can both serve a purpose and look cool at the same time.

NOOB here, so take it easy on me. :laugh

Thanks for all the great information over the past few years, I have learned a lot from this site.

Regards,

powderskier9

·
Registered
334 Posts
I purchased a 2015 RAV 4 LE last year. I replaced Entune with an aftermarket head unit, rear view mirror with compass and temperatures, all interior lights and shark Fin antenna. I installed parking sensors, power liftgate, arrow turn signal and front view camera. I'm not sure if I should try BSM (millimeter radar blind spot detection). I like power liftgate and parking sensors.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased a 2015 RAV 4 LE last year. I replaced Entune with an aftermarket head unit, rear view mirror with compass and temperatures, all interior lights and shark Fin antenna. I installed parking sensors, power liftgate, arrow turn signal and front view camera. I'm not sure if I should try BSM (millimeter radar blind spot detection). I like power liftgate and parking sensors.
Very nice upgrade. I'm wondering. Don't you think that with all that money, time and efforts that you spent you could simply just buy a Limited model?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good Day/Night Fellow RAV 4 Enthusiasts,

I have purchased a 2013 RAV 4 XLE and was hoping that you could enlighten me as to the ways that you have upgraded your RAV4.

Personally, I am looking at upgrading the interior/exterior lights with LED bulbs and was looking for feedback regarding this.

Additionally, if you have any recommendations for upgrades that you have performed and why you feel they were useful, I would be more than happy to hear them.

I am primarily a person who will typically perform an upgrade for functional versus aesthetic reasons. Inevitably, there are times when you buy something that can both serve a purpose and look cool at the same time.

NOOB here, so take it easy on me. :laugh

Thanks for all the great information over the past few years, I have learned a lot from this site.

Regards,

powderskier9
I have also recently purchased 2013 XLE for my daughter and this is what I did. Some for better look, but mostly for its functionality.

1) Replaced air filter with K&N
2) Replaced LED 168 license plate lights with original Sylvania ($9.99 a piece)
3) Silver Star Ultra 9005 high beam
4) Silver Star Ultra 9005 low beam
5) Turned off blinking ECO light.
6) Removed crossbars
7) Replaced the wheels with 18" Sport Edition ST7 (now on sale for $118.00 was $139,00). Machined with Anthracite accent (the car color is white)
8) New tires. My favorite Firestone Destination LE2 (235/55-18) H-rated also on sale (buy 3 get 1 free).
9) Floor mats and cargo liner from WeatherTech grey to match the sits color (black and grey)
10) Door steps protectors sill from e-bay
---------------------------------------------------
Things to do:

10) Wind visors (rain guards) NO in-channel. (screws up driver's door window sensor)
11) Something to do with dull fog lamps (didn't decide yet)
12) Rear bumper cover protector sill plate (OEM).
13) Replace Back Up bulbs with brighter ones (brand didn't decide yet)
--------------------------------------------------
Things I'd definitely buy if I didn't have:

1) Door side molding (OEM)
2) Mud guards (OEM)
--------------------------------------------------
This is what I'd also recommend to do when you buy a used car if the dealer/seller didn't perform (IMHO):

1) Fuel Injector Cleaner (STP)
2) Change Spark Plugs (OEM) Iridium if the mileage of the car more than 45K.
3) Replace vipers.
4) Alignment especially when you buy a set of new tires.
5) Replace cabin air filter.
6) Change oil/oil filter 0W20 Synthetic
7) Check the brake rotors and pads (replace if needed).
8) Wax the car.

That's pretty much it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
2013 XLE here also. Added Weathertech bug guard, Weathertech window deflectors, Husky floor liners, heated seats, Gentex auto dimming mirror with compass and LED lighting throughout.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Very nice upgrade. I'm wondering. Don't you think that with all that money, time and efforts that you spent you could simply just buy a Limited model?
You're right. Buying LE was a mistake. I'll give this vehicle to my daughter and buy a RAV4 hybrid Limited next year or year after.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2013 XLE here also. Added Weathertech bug guard, Weathertech window deflectors, Husky floor liners, heated seats, Gentex auto dimming mirror with compass and LED lighting throughout.

I'm also a fan of WeatherTech products, but this time I decided not to buy their window deflectors. Having driver's side AUTO power window to fail every time in summer got very annoying. I have the same problem with my RX-350 with both front windows in summer. My daughter's previous 2012 Rav4 also had WeatherTech visors and the same problem in the summer. Enough is enough.
Do you like your bug guard? How does it get mounted on the hood?

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I had trouble with the WeatherTech window deflectors only for an hour or so. I installed them on a hot sunny day. They eventually fit themselves perfectly. You might want to try again.

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
I had weathertech window defectors on my 2006 4.3 V6 for almost 9yrs, they worked just fine, also had em on my 2015 4.4 for a year, same story, those are going on the Hybrid as well since I removed them before the trade.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had trouble with the WeatherTech window deflectors only for an hour or so. I installed them on a hot sunny day. They eventually fit themselves perfectly. You might want to try again.
Yeah, yea I know. I called them. They said to leave the windows closed for a few hours right after the installation. It didn't help. I also called to Lexus to find out if those sensors can be disabled or reprogrammed in some way, but didn't succeed either. No issues with rear windows though and the front windows work perfectly in winter. BTW, do you think 4.4 Ravs have a thinner windows glass? I know that Toyota in order to compensate an extra weight from the brand new 6 speed transmission, desperately tried to reduce the curb weight of the vehicle. Maybe this is the case?

·
Premium Member
7,980 Posts
The driver's auto-up window jam protection can be programmed/adjusted with the switch, instructions ares in the opening and closing the windows section of the manual.

Reactions: Alfa

·
Registered
42 Posts
The driver's auto-up window jam protection can be programmed/adjusted with the switch, instructions ares in the opening and closing the windows section of the manual.
Thank you. I'll definitely try it on my RX when it's gonna be warm outside, because it does work when it's cold. I hope this operation will finally cancel the jam sensor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts