Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be upgrading my 2009 RAV 4 AWD Sport with 99,200 miles to either a 2016 Rav LE AWD or a 2014 RAV LE AWD. I enjoyed the way 2016 drove during the test drive. However, the monthly payment for 2014 will be the same or cheaper than my current payment on my 2009.

2014 is a certified Toyota with 9K miles. It comes with a 12mo /12k bumper to bumper and a 7/100k powertrain. 2016 of course has the standard warranty which is some ways better than the 2014 warranty.

Both the 2016 and 2014 will come with fewer bells and whistles than my 2009. I will be loosing the moon roof, 18 alloy wheels, and XM radio

Is there a lot of difference between the way the 2014 and 2016 ride?
Any differences between the drivetrain between the 2014 and 2016?

Any differences on how the AWD is different between the 4th generation and 3rd generation?

How about the ground clearance? The 2014 looks like it may have less than 2009.
Any practical way to add XM to the Entunes radio. I do not want to stream music with Bluetooth with my phone. I do want to use an awkward add-on XM unit that I will have to plug into aux jack and cigar lighter to use everyday either. I can't afford to pay the extra 2400 sticker price to upgrade to XLE to get the XM capable entunes radio. I would get my alloy wheels and moonroof back, but that is not realistic at this time.

After paying off my car and using equity left, I can get 2016 for around 435 for 72mo or 2014 with 9k miles for 350 for 72 months. Which one would be a better deal? Do you think I can get them to add the extended bumper to bumper warranty to 2014 with raising the price of the car?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My understanding from what others have posted here is that the 2016 rides somewhat more smoothly and quietly than the 2014. Coming from the Sport, both will probably ride significantly more smoothly than you're used to.

The AWD systems are identical between the 4.3 and non-Hybrid 4.4, except the 4.4 has "Sport" mode and the AWD system has an awareness of when you're in Sport mode and applies more power to the rear when cornering. There's no difference between the drivetrains of the 2014 and 2016.

Your 2009 has 7.5 inches of ground clearance, the 4.4s have 6.3 inches of ground clearance, so there is a significant loss there (about 20%).

If you're very tall, the 4.4s also lost an inch of head room front and rear, but you probably would have noticed if that's an issue during your 4.4 test drive.

This list may be helpful for other comparisons between the 4.3 and 4.4:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/96545-features-added-dropped-2013-2014-rav4.html

In my opinion 9K miles is barely broken in, so both cars are effectively new, presuming the 2014 has never been in an accident and has had all service done (oil changes and whatnot). About the only real difference should be the warranty time.

Personally, if there's nothing currently or imminently wrong with your 2009 I'd question upgrading at all solely from a financial perspective vs. resetting the 5-year clock on your payments. 99K miles isn't that much on any RAV4.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My understanding from what others have posted here is that the 2016 rides somewhat more smoothly and quietly than the 2014. Coming from the Sport, both will probably ride significantly more smoothly than you're used to.
New member here after just getting my 16 LE AWD. I have to agree on the ride. It's unexpectedly quiet and smooth. I recently tested out a Mercedes GLK-class and the cabin is similarly quiet to that. Definitely two great characteristics of the 4.4

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Keep driving your 2009...at least until you've paid it off. With 99k it still has a ton of life and value left even if you cross over the mythical 100k mark.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Gotta agree with above. The Gen. 4 is nice but it's not perfect. Unless your 2009 hasn't been maintained, it should be able to do many more miles at minimal cost.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I may be upgrading my 2009 RAV 4 AWD Sport with 99,200 miles to either a 2016 Rav LE AWD or a 2014 RAV LE AWD. I enjoyed the way 2016 drove during the test drive. However, the monthly payment for 2014 will be the same or cheaper than my current payment on my 2009......................After paying off my car and using equity left, I can get 2016 for around 435 for 72mo or 2014 with 9k miles for $350 for 72 months. Which one would be a better deal? Do you think I can get them to add the extended bumper to bumper warranty to 2014 with raising the price of the car?
Crazy times we live in !!
I grew up old school, my Dad in the 1960-70's always paid his new cars off in 4 years.
Now I'm a senior, and l still abide by the old finance formula / 48 months or less.
- my son just bought a new Lexus RX350 ($68,800 list) financed over 4 years, at low 3.99%
Had sonny wanted a 72 month term, I would have told him "you can't afford" the bling boy.
- my wife's RAV4 is a mint 2008 Limited v6, with moonroof, heated leather seats & 17" allow wheels with 70,000 miles / I sold her 2002 Volvo v70 with 300,000 Km myself, we are car payment free
- our next used v6 Toyota SUV will be a newer 4Runner or Lexus / I'm not trading down, to a base model with a 4 banger

How many monthly payments left, on the 2009 ?
- unless its amortized to the hill, I'd keep driving it

Trade up only when YOUR EXISTING VEHICLE, IS FULLY PAID FOR - Rule #1
And the sale of your 2009 will be deducted from the newer model.
- nothing else makes any sense IMPO
^^ This plan equals not car poor - cheaper monthly payments, and shorter term on vehicle loan.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
If you had the V6 engine suggest that you hold onto it until it becomes a repair problem, with the 4 cyl. the situation is somewhat less clear cut, but still unless the 2009 is becoming problematic suggest that it be kept until it reaches that state and save the monthly payments which a new one would require - it's difficult to imagine that monthly payments for a new RAV would be less than those for a 2009 unless the finance interest rate for the 2009 was at a high percent rate and/or or the payments for the new one would be strung out over more months.

Of course you can try to negotiate the deal for the newer RAV to include the extended VSA or to obtain it at a discount, but part of that obviously has to do with which VSA one wants to purchase.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
If Safety rating is a concern, the 2016 passed the small overlap crash test.
The 2016 is supposed to be quieter; you would have to try both to see the difference yourself; personally I like the look of the 2016 more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For the past few days I lent my 2016 Limited Hybrid to a family member and I'm driving a 2010 Venza ( V6, AWD ). The Venza is a nice car but I terribly miss the advanced technology in the 2016. If you are getting a basic model, there may be no compelling reason to get a new one. But the safety and convenience of the latest models is hard to give up. The most important thing are the LED headlights. The Venza headlights are pathetic compared to the 2016 Rav4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts