Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 3 door '95 1st Gen RAV4 and runs great although worsening under body rusting means I have had to purchase a new car.

I am expecting to take delivery of a '16 4th Gen RAV4 Auto 2.5L AWD next week - it is the Limited version with tow bar and nudge bar.

I have the option to take out a mechanical warranty with the garage I have bought it from however based on the reliability of my current RAV4 I am not sure if it is worth it. The car has done 105'000km and the garage has just given it a service. Is there anything I should keep an eye on and expect to repair/replace over the next year or so? Any common issues?

Beyond that, any advice on the car? It's a big step up from my '95! ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drive a 3 door '95 1st Gen RAV4 and runs great although worsening under body rusting means I have had to purchase a new car.

I am expecting to take delivery of a '16 4th Gen RAV4 Auto 2.5L AWD next week - it is the Limited version with tow bar
I am heading that same direction to possibly a purchasing a '16 RAV4, Auto, 2.5L AWD Limited... but I am moving from an '06 Hyundai Tucson Auto 2.7 V6 4WD. Am I moving Up?! LoL

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a 2016 Limited in August. It is a certified preowned, and had 31,000 miles on it at the time of purchase. It is my first Rav, and I like it. There are a few things that are a bit annoying, but nothing I can't live with.
The voice recognition for navigation sucks. I'd rather have Android Auto instead of built in navigation. The tray for your cell phone is too small (I have a Galaxy Note 8), and there is no good place to set it unless you want to use the cupholder. I am awaiting delivery of a Rav 4 specific phone holder that had a clip that attaches to the silver trim above radio on the dash.
The safety sense features are hit and miss. I like the adaptive cruise control, but it only works at 25mph and above. I wish it was like the new systems that work from 0 mph. Stop and go traffic is still annoying as always. Don't depend on the lane keep assist. It may nudge you away from the centerline, then let you drive off the right side of the road unless you steer yourself. The system in the 2019s keeps you centered in the lane.
The engine could use more power, but is ample for everyday driving.
There isn't a display for individual tire pressures, which I find odd. The mpg readout is optimistic by at least 2 or 3 mpg, especially in the city. It is more accurate if you're on the highway.
I wish the clock was separate from the stereo since it disappears for a few seconds when changing the volume and things.
The fm radio stations sound crappy, but the iheartradio music sounds good. Rain sensing wipers would be a nice feature to have.
Lol, I know it sounds like I'm bashing my ride, but I'm not. I do like the car, I'm just giving an honest assessment of the features.
I bought the car because of reliability and AWD. I wish they would offer a safety sense update for the cruise and lane keep that would make it function like the 2.0 version... even if I had to pay. I think all the hard components are in the car now, and it's more of a software limitation. A factory remote start feature would be nice also. I don't care for aftermarket versions since I'm not a fan of splicing into the factory harness.
The seats are comfy, and it doesn't wear you out if you're driving on a trip. I like the reclining feature of the rear seats, and the roominess. The dash overhang interferes with the front cupholder if you have a large drink. I think thre forward cupholder should have been designed for the passenger to use, just because it's not as convenient for the driver as the cupholder by thre armrest is.

As I mentioned earlier, none of the things I'm nitpicking are deal breakers, but things I would have done differently if I had designed the car. I think it would elevate it from a good car to a great car. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and I like the fact that it doesn't have direct injection, turbos or things such as these that cause large repair bills as the car gets older. The headlights are awesome since a lot of my driving is on country roads. It's easy to park and maneuver, has good visibility, and I really like the birds eye camera. I also like the utility with the generous cargo capacity. There is plenty of room under the hood for doing your own maintenance.
Just my thoughts. I hope you both enjoy your Ravs. They are nice vehicles. I can't wait for a big snowstorm so I can go play with the awd.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts