Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I was wondering if any one could give me any advice on choosing a tyre. I want to minimise the speedometer error when fitting larger rims. My current specs are the OEM 215/70 R16. I would like to upgrade to 18" rims, and I would prefer 225 (or 255 if they will fit a 3dr RAV).

Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can check the links section for the Tire fit list and then check on the tire size calculator. You'l be sown graphically the difference in tire/wheel size that you choose plus the error in speedometer. If you go to 225/55-18, you're speedometer will only read .4% too fast. Not bad.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Another size to consider is 235/50/18...this is the size i will most prolly go with when i upgrade from my stock 215/70/16 also.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will look into it. It's hard to get modifications for the older RAVs in the UK. I guess most people want off road Mods, but as I live in London, I only have the speed bumps to tackle.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just on a side note intruder, are the nudge bar and side steps on your RAV the OEM ones from Toyota? I like the look of your car :D

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Intruder,

You have any hookups so I can import a RAV4.2, 3dr model into the U.S. ??

the U.S. doesn't make the 2001+ in 3dr model...

·
Registered
422 Posts
DJ, I did all kinds of research off and on for a year or so on how to get a Rav 4.2 2-door imported to the U.S. and just ran into one complication after another. It may be possible to do it, but it would be unbelievably expensive (even shipping from Boston to SE Wisconsin would've cost me $900 if I hadn't picked it up myself...imagine what overseas shipping would be), there are TONS of rules, and I'm not sure you'd be able to get insurance coverage. Think about the cost of replacement parts if you get in an accident...that's why I don't think it would be insurable in the US, or if it was it would be a ton of money.

That's why I finally gave up and got the 4.2 4-door.

Becky

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
255 wide treads will fit under the RAV4's guards, but you may get scrubbing on full lock. I'd go for 245/45 or 235/50 in the 18". I wanted the best 'track' possible by having wider tyres installed for better handling, and they work a treat. ;) Either of the above two options will be a good choice.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tangiwai said:
Just on a side note intruder, are the nudge bar and side steps on your RAV the OEM ones from Toyota? I like the look of your car :D
Thats not actually my car. I have the same model and colour, but I have no A-bar or side bars yet. But the ones pictured there are made by cobra (a german company I think, not the guys that make the racing seats and straps). You can get cobra stuff here.

I've got plans for the cobra a bar city guard and the side bars (stainless steel).

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DJ Sueno said:
Intruder,

You have any hookups so I can import a RAV4.2, 3dr model into the U.S. ??

the U.S. doesn't make the 2001+ in 3dr model...
I guess getting them shipped from japan would be an option? Theres a company just down the road from where I live that import into the UK. Maybe you could ask for some contacts there.

JEM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts