Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the JBL unit in my Sienna much better than the standard stereo in my new 2005 Rav4 Sport. I've been checking out working pulled Toyota JBL units on Ebay and was wondering if anyone knows which other Toyota model stereo units are compatible?

Has anyone pulled there own stereo and done an upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RAV's WITHOUT the factory-installed JBL upgraded stereo will not have the external amplifier and the 20 pin connector in the dash to connect with another Toyota JBL radio. If your RAV has the standard radio/CD (non-JBL)the new JBL unit will not connect or work without adding the external amp and wiring harnesses.
The JBL's are a true head unit that have no internal amplification.

However, if you want to upgrade the standard radio/cd the best choice is to use one from the Scion. It not only fits the dbl DIN opening in the dash, but plugs right in to the 6 and 10 pin connectors and the connector for the steering wheel controls. It has an internal amp and plays MP3 files and sounds MUCH better that the stock RAV radio. It's an easy installation that takes only a few min.

Hope this helps.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know much about RAV4's but we're picking up an '02 this weekend for my wife. She complained to me that it only has AM/FM/Cassette and no CD. How hard is it to find a used Toyota headunit with CD that will drop right in? Thanks!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check ebay. Look for Scion MP3 or Celica CD or Rav4 CD. There's a few out there now from $50 to $250.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Just became the proud owner of a 2005 Rav4L 4WD. I'm aching to put in some upgrades, and ran across this thread regarding an MP3 player using a Scion radio.

Any idea how one can figure out if a particular radio (of the few listed on ebay) will work or not? I do have the radio controls in the steering wheel. Stock radio is the CD/Cassette player.

Cheers!

Garry

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any Scion will work. There are two versions, a single CD and another that is a 6 CD changer. The 6 CD version is going for $200-250 on Ebay, the single CD unit goes for around $75-120. They both sound a lot better than stock and play Mp3. You lose the tape cassette feature.

It's an easy plug in play. The steering wheel controls will still work. It looks good too, here's a photo of one I installed in my wife's 04RAV.

http://www.pbase.com/image/41187240/large

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
audio

fld, that looks really nice! I just brought home a 2005 RAV4 and wanted to change out the audio, I'm finding I really miss having a cd changer. I'll be keeping a close watch on ebay.

Seeing the pic really helps.

Now, that I think about it, I don't think I ever used the cassette player in my Maxima or Jeep. :eek:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fld - thanks for the info, and the picture. There are a few on ebay, and some on other forums.

Cheers!

Garry

·
Registered
986 Posts
Here's the bottom line:

If you have one of the newer Ravs with the controls on the steering wheel (and want those controls) it is best to go with the Scion head unit since it will work with the steering wheel controls.

Now there are ways you can wire the steering wheel controls to work with aftermarket head units, but it's complicated and usually not worth the cost, as opposed to a regular infrared remote which is free with most aftermarket head units.

If you don't have the steering wheel controls (or don't care much for them) you can obviously use any head unit you want. I am partial to Alpine myself, although the new Pioneer Premier units look nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts