Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen 2 posts here that talk about the JBL vs. non-JBL wiring harness in the Rav4.3, though there was no real conclusions as far as I could tell. I believe that I have the non-JBL factory radio (because there is no "JBL" anywhere on the radio, and crutchfield.com says that the JBL system on the Rav4.3 the JBL has bluetooth and 9 speakers (which my 2010 Sport SAP does not have).

What crutchfield doesn't tell you is if you need a wiring harness adapter or not. Hmmm.

I'm looking at buying either a Pioneer 7" double din touchscreen, or a Jensen 6.2" double din touchscreen radio. For around $300-$400 you can get DVD/Blutooth/XM/SD card/smartphone mirroring/pandora/front and backup cam input/remote/usb music+dvd,mp4,avi,divx video capability to 1000 files/anti-glare. :confused:I guess it doesn't matter too much since the wiring harness adapter is only $8 on Amazon.

Let's upgrade the poo-poo out of our Rav4s!!!

Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yes you need a wiring harness..... Unless you want to splice into wires and I would not recommend that......if you do some reading on Crutchfield you will see that the stereo will come with a free wiring harness and free mounting kit.......I have a 2010 sap and got those items free when I ordered my head unit from them......and make sure you connect power to the antenna power wire or your radio reception will suck.......

·
Registered
767 Posts
The harness for the non-JBL system requires two plugs as shown here. The factory radio has built-in power to drive all the speakers.

The harness for the JBL system requires a single plug as shown here. The factory radio sends low-level (RCA-level) to the factory JBL amp to drive the speakers.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Is it true that all factory radio's in the RAV4 4.3 are JBL made? Never new that this speaker company also made radio's.
I tought that the factory radio was made by Matsu****a/Panasonic. Is this not true at all, or maybe limited to EU models?

Some years ago I decided to exchange the factory radio/CD player for an All-In 2DIN Chinese head unit with IGO navigation.
All worked well, even the built-in DVB-T television, but the navigation is a bit crappy and the amplifier preformance is bad.
Next to this I also experienced that .mp3 files via USB are not always played, so I made may mind and wanted a change.
I tried to find alternative Win CE navigation which is up to date, but brands like TomTom and Garmin stopped Win CE support.
Surfing the complete net in solutions for better .mp3 software gave me the same result. Practicly nothing is available.

Last time I changed all four factory speakers for the Focal ICS and ISS 165 speakers, and that gave some sound improvement.
All together I decided that this Chinese should leave the RAV, and I am evaluating the true quality brands now.
For some time I thought that a new 2DIN radio with Apples CarPlay should be a well investment for the future, but than again...
You need an iPhone 5 or newer, and the radio it self is actually an empty can. All must come from the smartphone.
And then the mixed reviews and thoughts about CarPlay, no thanks for the moment. I will stick to the more classic models.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,923 Posts
Is it true that all factory radio's in the RAV4 4.3 are JBL made? Never new that this speaker company also made radio's.
I tought that the factory radio was made by Matsu****a/Panasonic. Is this not true at all, or maybe limited to EU models?
JBL only allows their name to be used--much like my Toshiba laptop says "Harmon Kardon" above the tiny speakers. JBL might have done some engineering on the speakers but they didn't make the electronics. My original head unit was made by Fujitsu Ten:

And I replaced it with a newer but almost identical looking unit made by Panasonic:

·
Registered
137 Posts
I put in a Jensen VX7020

Jensen Multimedia Receiver, 6.2-Inch Touch Screen with Bluetooth
by Jensen
Link: http://amzn.com/B00KRLICIE

and a camera

1/4" CCD Flush Mount Waterproof Truck Car Reverse Backup Rear View Camera
by Gino
Link: http://amzn.com/B00B2ZD7OS

Used this Harness suggested by Crutchfield.com
Metra Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker
by Metra
Link: https://amzn.com/B0002BEQJ8

Found out later that if I want to use the AUX port in the console, I would need one of the connectors out of this one (converts the RCA plugs on the Radio to the Toyota long connector which goes to the AUX port in the console). Radio has an AUX on the faceplate. Might do this one day. Not today.
Metra Steering Wheel Control Wire Harness with RCA for 2003-Up Select Toyota/Scion/Lexus Vehicles
by Metra
Link: http://amzn.com/B0064J4LOM

2007 2.4L 4WD, with no bluetooth. no JBL base model

Microphone on the Jensen is mounted on the back of the steering wheel and makes me sound far away. Looking at replacing the Jensen Microphone with another one, just haven't figured out which one yet. There does not seem to be a way to adjust the MIC input gain on the Jensen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just put in (or had put in) the Kenwood DDX9902S with CarPlay and Android Auto and it rocks... Pretty seamless integration with factory controls and sounds/works great. I have a 2009 Limited with JBL so needed the maestro rr and PAC tato to integrate with the steering wheel controls and JBL amp.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put in a pioneer avh-x5700-bhs and did need a $20 wiring harness, Sirius xm antenna $30, steering wheel adapter $10, parking brake bypass for video $6, zeronet front/rear cam $80, new front door kicker speakers $110, but also you will have to buy $6 plastic Toyota adapter speaker mounts bc the factory rav4 speakers get ruined while taking them out.

Don't go cheap on upgrading a head unit on a nice Rav4.

Upgrading the HU is fine, but once you see those cheap factory speakers you'll say "and I heard you fart once and it went...whaaaaaoioiooooaaaa???"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone tell me how I power the antenna? (non JBL). I've taken the factory unit out and replaced it with a Pioneer using a harness, this clearly isn't powering the antenna and whilst I have an antenna power lead from the Pioneer, I don't see where to connect it to.

Save me from having to refit the factory unit!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just put in (or had put in) the Kenwood DDX9902S with CarPlay and Android Auto and it rocks... Pretty seamless integration with factory controls and sounds/works great. I have a 2009 Limited with JBL so needed the maestro rr and PAC tato to integrate with the steering wheel controls and JBL amp.
Were you able to retain the Bluetooth steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Can anyone tell me how I power the antenna? (non JBL). I've taken the factory unit out and replaced it with a Pioneer using a harness, this clearly isn't powering the antenna and whilst I have an antenna power lead from the Pioneer, I don't see where to connect it to.

Save me from having to refit the factory unit!
I believe there is a 10 pin harness...in that harness I think it is pin 8 that powers the factory antenna...you need to run switched power to that wire...I think I ran a jumper wire from the red wire on my new stereo...Google "rav4 antenna power pin 8" or something along those lines and you should find what you're looking for...been a while since I did mine so I don't remember it all...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe there is a 10 pin harness...in that harness I think it is pin 8 that powers the factory antenna...you need to run switched power to that wire...I think I ran a jumper wire from the red wire on my new stereo...Google "rav4 antenna power pin 8" or something along those lines and you should find what you're looking for...been a while since I did mine so I don't remember it all...
Thank you, that is just the information I needed. I had googled it before myself - honest :D - but I just hadn't been able to get a positive lead (see what I did there?)

Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts