Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the upper glove box doesn't always open on the 1st try. Sometimes it will stick half way. I read some posts about a technical bulleting being issued that says a stronger spring is required and was wondering if anyone has had that replaced.

·
Registered
88 Posts
mines was like that at the beginning. it work ok now. still have people that do not know of to open it tho. if there is a TSB i would like to see that too.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine would be one solution-to leave it permanently open. Took me about two weeks to figure out there is literally no easy accessible place to simply stick anything in a hurry. The cubby behind the cup holders is practically inaccessible (nor can you see anything that might be in there either). My feeling is that the thingy above the glove compartment was pretty much expected to be used for everyday in and out stuff, and rarely if ever closed. Anything you'd want to hide would go in the glove or under the arm-rest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
rav4rusty said:
I noticed that the upper glove box doesn't always open on the 1st try. Sometimes it will stick half way. I read some posts about a technical bulleting being issued that says a stronger spring is required and was wondering if anyone has had that replaced.

I used to have the problem of the glove box door not even opening when I pressed the button. Problem was I was pressing the button and releasing it right away. I found that if you press and hold (for about 1 second) the button down firmly, the glove box door opens/close perfectly.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
toyman said:
I found that if you press and hold (for about 1 second) the button down firmly, the glove box door opens/close perfectly.
The salesman at the dealership I got my RAV from told me to do that when I was doing the pick-up inspection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
A lot of my passengers have some trouble with the open/close button on the upper glove compartment. I tell them, "You have to press it like you mean it." :)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think you even have to press hard, you just have to make sure you hold it for a second. Then it will open, close just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i dont have my rav (YET!) but one of the models i looked at i had a really difficult time popping it open. i was in the drivers seat and it was taking a few hits with a lot of oomph to get it pop open...i'm also a lefty, so my right hand isnt as 'strong' kind of an awkward feeling. the dealer said "push hard" or like you said push it like you mean it...hahah :) i agree, sounds tricky. i'm a little apprehensive about this feature when i get mine, i was hoping it was just a fluke...

·
Registered
149 Posts
As Toyman said, just push and hold for second and it works perfectly. You don't need to mash the button with gorilla force, just make sure to hold it for a second.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
or use 2 fingers to push the button down, another one to give a little push to the box's door... lol...

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
i have 2 ravs.....my wifes upper glove box works perfectly,though mine has a mind of its own so i advs my dealer........they have had problems ordering the right color for my rav.........though they have been wonderful in keeping me happy by filling up my rav w/ gas and then giving me a loaner due to the inconvience....i suggest if your glovebox doesnt work like you beleive it should, than you need to take it in.........

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
As previously mentioned there is a TSB for it - at some point there was a change on the production line and the TSB mentions the VINs at which the change was made. If yours is affected you can have updated parts installed.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
bmorton said:
As previously mentioned there is a TSB for it - at some point there was a change on the production line and the TSB mentions the VINs at which the change was made. If yours is affected you can have updated parts installed.

both tsb's are for the lower glove box assembly.....and i realy didnt care whether or not there was a tsb......i was just commenting on the great service that was provided to me.......

·
Registered
652 Posts
Something to keep in mind and I believe it is in the manual is that if you are on a hill it has trouble opening.

This was probably already mentioned but I'm trying to keep up with flyingn in my posts. :D

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Janos said:
Something to keep in mind and I believe it is in the manual is that if you are on a hill it has trouble opening.

This was probably already mentioned but I'm trying to keep up with flyingn in my posts. :D
i live in sw florida there are no hills...... :roll:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well you learn something new every day, if you're lucky.
I also found the upper glove box door a bit sticky, and had taken to hitting it pretty hard with two fingers. But as suggested, just a medium press and HOLD for a second, and it opens perfect every time.
Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 2 week old Rav has a sticky button on upper glove. When it's cold it won't open. It is too tight when it's cold so the button doesn't return to initial position. I took it in and they are ordering a new glove box.

·
Registered
346 Posts
rav4rusty said:
Could it be a little RUSTY?

Anyways, no replacement here. It's a new thing (to me anyhow), and you know how that goes. Guinea Pig. :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts