Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! New member long time lurker on here. I have a 2015 RAV4 limited and when on the highway using cruise control if it shifts down for inclines it will not shift back up when highway levels out. It drops to fourth and will eventually go back into fifth. If I accelerate with my foot or flick accelerate/decelerate via cruise lever I can watch the tach drop as it returns to 6th gear but without some sort of intervention it just won't go. When not in cruise it shifts absolutely perfect. I asked the dealer and they claim to have driven and monitored it and say it shifts normal. Does anybody else experience this as I find it very annoying. Love the Rav but not happy with this issue. On a side note I had a nail in the tire when I took it in for shifting issue and tire repair I asked why it never triggered the tpms with only 8lbs in the tire. Much to my surprise I was informed that there is no tpms on my 2015 limited. I'm fine with this but was very surprised when my other lesser trimmed vehicles all have it.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Don't know about the cruise control situation, but I believe that while TPMS is mandatory in the U.S. it is not present on Canadian RAVs.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Maybe you're just not noticing it shift into 6th. 5 and 6 are pretty close in ratio so unless you are going well over 100 kmhr its not much of an rpm change. I think at 100 kmhr in 5th its at 2200 and 2000 in 6th.

And I'm glad about the tpms. I found the tpms annoying on vehicles I've had with it.

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
Yeah, more U.S. government regulations gone berserk because some people never checked their tire pressures, with pressure for mandatory requirements aided by the safety cocoon interests such as Consumer Reports magazine people. Canadians are fortunate regarding TPMS!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tpms is probably a blessing but it did surprise me. Answer to the question of maybe it's in 6th but it's such a subtle rpm change to notice. I can actually see the tach change when I finally get it to shift back up. If it wasn't such a mileage killer I wouldn't care but it's about 3l per 100 km difference.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 Hybrid Limited
192 Posts
Mine works pretty much the same way as yours, it will eventually shift into 6th but it is annoying. You have to manipulate it using the cruise up/down if you want it to shift when you think it should. I have gotten used to it, let it do its own thing on a 4,400km drive to Ontario and back and returned 8.1 L/100km.

They also told me it was normal which I have come to accept, annoying as it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same on my rav , some times if you wait for 4 or 5 minutes it will go on 6 gear , otherwise increasing or decreasing the speed will make it immideatly.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I noticed this too, its terrible if your driving in the mountains, i suppose it would be ok for perfectly flat long distance.

I found the shifts for 5->6 quite evident, I tend to drive fast on open road so 5th is around 2500-2700 @ 120km whereas 6th is around 2k. Its also why I find the Rav a tad underpowered, I was unable to climb a hill at 130km despite it dropping down to 5th and eventually 4th.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts