Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this Forbes article about foreign versus domestic model sales, there is passing mention of US 2006 first quarter sales numbers, attributed to "Automotive News", but I couldn't find any direct link to these figures.

Here is how the 2006 RAV4 did in the first 3 sales months of the year:

Small SUV Sales (quantities): First Quarter 2006

Ford Escape: 42,268
Toyota RAV4: 33,944
Honda CR-V: 32,351
Chevy Equinox: 22,606

-Brian

K

·
0 Posts
Interesting.

Whoever is buying these Escapes are not in here in California. The place is practically overrun by CRVs. It's nice to see RAV pulling ahead of it.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
I checked Ford's monthly sales press releases for Jan, Feb and Mar and the numbers pan out, but Ford's also notorious for dumping vehicles into fleet sales (rentals & company cars), plus they're counting the Escape Hybrid in those numbers and not breaking out the details...

On a brighter note, Escape sales are actually down over 4% compared to last year... :wink:

R

·
0 Posts
kc456 said:
Interesting.

Whoever is buying these Escapes are not in here in California. The place is practically overrun by CRVs. It's nice to see RAV pulling ahead of it.
I see a lot of Escapes in Ohio.
I think the new Jeep Compass will do real well too (its relatively cheap and looks good). Although its probably a piece of junk (in the Jeep tradition).

R

·
0 Posts
I think the new Jeep Compass will do real well too (its relatively cheap and looks good). Although its probably a piece of junk (in the Jeep tradition).
This months "Car and Driver" confirms it has maintained the Jeep tradition!

S

·
0 Posts
summerwind said:
karrock said:
Ford's also notorious for dumping vehicles into fleet sales (rentals & company cars)
And Hertz is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ford Motor Company
Actually, they are no longer owned by Ford.

From the Hertz website.
In December, 2005 Hertz was acquired by three leading private equity investment companies: Clayton, Dubilier & Rice; The Carlyle Group and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I actually think the Escape is one of the best looking small SUV's on the market. It doesn't shock me that it's sales remain strong. Unfortunately, it gets poor gas mileage and ... well the rest of the "unfortunatley" doesn't need to be stated.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
An aunt just picked up an Escape Hybrid(and yes, I tried to steer her towards the RAV). Got a great below invoice deal in spite of its hybridness, RAV couldn't compete with that.

Seems the Escape and the F-150 are what keep Ford afloat. They're both very well put together despite the blue oval up front. Don't think I've ever seen an Escape rental, but you sure see a lot on the road.

Plus, at least Ford still offers a stick in the Escape.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Escape is the #1 selling SUV in Canada. You see them absolutely everywhere. They're a popular rental vehicle also - I've rented one on two occasions and liked them. They drive well, have a sportier feel than my RAV4, and aren't too bad on gas on the highway even for the V6 4x4 version. I did find some cheap details about the Escape that weren't so hot (the RAV4 has cheap details also but they're better hidden) and it isn't available with stability control at any price, which is a feature I wanted.

With the incentives from Ford (employee pricing on 2006 and 2007 models up here) plus low interest rates it's hard to beat price-wise for what you get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts