Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric question.
I‘d like to purchase a RAV4 Prime, however in roughly 8 months the Army is sending me to Germany for a 4 year tour.
USA uses 120 volt to 240 volt two phase electricity at 60 hertz. Germany (and all of Europe) use 240 volt single phase at 50 hertz.
Assuming I buy the 240 volt cable, can I plug the RAV4 into a German charging station without damaging the car? Will the difference in phase and hertz be a problem?
Toyota USA and Toyota Germany have been frustratingly unhelpful with specific answers on the electric components of the car, merely a cut and paste reply that they do not recommend any car (be it normal gas or hybrid plug in) be moved from one region to another.
thank you

·
Registered
141 Posts
USA homes are single phase, same as Europe so this will not matter. Prime manual only lists 240 AC voltage requirement and no reference to frequency. I expect chargers are the same but no way of knowing unless you can find operating specs or compare charger part numbers. Also Toyota Germany may not honor out of country warranties.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Having lived in Europe and the U.S. and using 240V Euro equipment in the U.S. with transformers and U.S. 110 - 120V items in Europe also with transformers the only difference noticed between using 50Hz and 60Hz is where there is an electronic timer/clock which times the item as it runs. Example - equipment designed to run at 50Hz will run nearly10% faster at 60Hz. Apart from that, everything works fine. But also with RobertB suggest checking regarding vehicle warranties as Toyota Germany may refuse to honor those issued in the U.S. or Canada.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,038 Posts
The main thing to confirm is that is that the power supplies offered are universal. Hopefully someone here can confirm this.

I ASSume Toyota uses universal power supplies so they work in different countries with different voltages and frequencies but again, this needs to be confirmed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main thing to confirm is that is that the power supplies offered are universal. Hopefully someone here can confirm this.

I ASSume Toyota uses universal power supplies so they work in different countries with different voltages and frequencies but again, this needs to be confirmed.
From the Toyota website it seems the standard cable that comes with the car is 120 volt. When speaking with Toyota Germany, all they said was that all of Europe uses standard type 2 cables.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having lived in Europe and the U.S. and using 240V Euro equipment in the U.S. with transformers and U.S. 110 - 120V items in Europe also with transformers the only difference noticed between using 50Hz and 60Hz is where there is an electronic timer/clock which times the item as it runs. Example - equipment designed to run at 50Hz will run nearly10% faster at 60Hz. Apart from that, everything works fine. But also with RobertB suggest checking regarding vehicle warranties as Toyota Germany may refuse to honor those issued in the U.S. or Canada.
Ive been stationed in Europe several times and generally transformers worked perfectly well. On my last tour barely even needed transformers as all newer computers, TVs, etc. were Already designed to work on both electrical systems; I just needed a plug adaptor not a transformer. I’m assuming because those were mostly battery driven things and the difference in hertz wasn’t a big deal as either they didn’t have a clock or their internet connection corrected it anyway.
Most car companies, to include Toyota, automatically void the warranty when car is taken out USA and goes elsewhere, regardless if it’s regular gas, hybrid, or electric. Happened to me every time I was sent overseas. They will honor recalls, but not warranties.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime SE 2017 Prius Prime
145 Posts
You should look at the post "Charging Speed Issues" by zaiby from 2 months ago. It will give you lots of info about your question of charging in Europe. He lives in Sweden and works in Denmark and has the info you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should look at the post "Charging Speed Issues" by zaiby from 2 months ago. It will give you lots of info about your question of charging in Europe. He lives in Sweden and works in Denmark and has the info you want.
thank you.
I’m no electrician but it reads to me that, as car is designed for up to 240 volt anyway and converts it to single phase to charge the battery, a US spec car should work on German electric net as long as I program the charging in the car correctly ?
I’ve called multiple dealers in US and none of them can give me a straight answer. Toyota USA just gives stock answer of “any car, regardless if gas engine, hybrid, EV, or plug in will have warranty voided going to Europe.”

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,038 Posts
Interesting read, while it does not directly address the OP questions, it brings up other concerns that they should look into after they determine if its feasible. In addition, the OP is talking about German, which is single phase, so they will not encounter the three phase issue mentioned in the thread.

Here is the link to the thread for the OP. Charging speed issues | Page 3 | Toyota RAV4 Forums (rav4world.com)

To reiterate my last post, the main issue is if the power supply is the universal type. This means that it is designed to work with most common worldwide voltage and frequencies. For me, that would be the first answer I would want if I wanted to do this. Sure they maybe work arounds with transformers, but I would much rather have a universal transformer as a starting point before I started my next series of questions such as:

Will I have a warranty in Germany with a U.S. purchased car?

Do I want/need to purchase the XSE with the 6.6 KW charger package to make this work in Germany?

Where am I going to plug this in Germany?

Will I need to install any charging equipment in Germany at my home?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts