Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

US Toyota warranty for Canadian Car

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Klink 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My buddy wants keep his a year old RAV4 for next 5-7 years and wants to buy Toyota Extra Care Protection - Platinum Plan from a US dealer. The Toyota dealer in Toronto gave him a quote of close to 3 grands.

I had my RAV4 with US Vin number and I was able to purchased extended warranty from the US dealership and had no issue using it in Canada.

Does anyone from Canada has purchased a Toyota ECP from the US for a Canadian vehicle and was able to use it? My friend asked the Canadian dealership and they said it is not possible since Canadian cars have kilometers and not miles.

I would be grateful if someone could share their experience or know for sure if the purchase can be made from the US dealership and be able to use it with in Canada without any issue.

Thanks in advance.

-disk2050

#2 ·
Seems that I recall that extended Vehicle Service Agreements can be purchased for U.S.- bought RAV and that those will be honored in Canada, but that VSAs cannot be bought in the U.S. for Canadian-purchased RAVs. Suggest checking with a seller of discount VSAs in the U.S. who has been helpful, for example:

Jerry Johnson
cell phone (620-664-8844)
jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com

Midwest Toyota
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
(800-530-5789)

Reactions: internalaudit
#3 ·
I read on redflagdeals one case where it wasn't honored in Canada. This was in 2013.

With the huge price difference between the two countries, Toyota Canada will likely try not to honor it. I mean, why should it (take a loss), unless one has been a loyal Toyota customer for decades?

Toyota Canada corporate office responds to email. Try a few reps and see if your friend can get it to honor the US warranty in writing.

Or shop Toyota dealerships. $3k is expensive. When my wife got her 2016 RAV4, I didn't cross shop but we got $500 off the 7 year 160k km warranty. I think in the States, it still can go as far as 8 years.

#4 ·
Thanks for your reply. My friend was referring probably to the same thread at redflagsdeals but since the info was old he does not want to take a chance.

What we ended up doing was called up Toyota USA separately and both got the same answer, "Yes, Canadian can purchase Toyota VSA from a USA dealership for their Canadian vehicles, and can use it at Canada dealership for service. The Canadian dealership will need to call 1-800 for approval for the service to be done on the car."

#6 ·
Hummm...I would double check by calling 1-888-Toyota-8 to confirm that a US VSA plan would be honoured at a Toyota Canada dealership. Toyota USA won't know what Toyota Canada will honour and vice versa. My gut tells me yes they'll honour...but the US dealer is violating the terms of his franchaise agreement by selling you a US VSA plan on a Canadian purchased vehicle. This is liable to raise some red flags somewhere and get you caught in the middle.

Just FYI, Toyota USA's VSA plans and Toyota Canada's ECP plans are not the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.