US Model gets:
Steering wheel controls
7 speaker JBL audio system

AND

Canada DOES NOT????

·
Registered
10 Posts
As I understand, each country imports only certain options/packages to simplify their ordering process and, probably, get certain price breaks from the factory if they order/minimize certain options. For example, I don't think that there is a 2WD version in Canada. I would have snapped up the steering whell buttons as well as the garage door opener .. also not available in Canada.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
golfnut said:
Anyone know why...

US Model gets:
Steering wheel controls
7 speaker JBL audio system

AND

Canada DOES NOT????
Also, Canadian RAV4s don't have standard ABS on all models (standard only packages C and D) or four-wheel disc brakes. :cry::roll:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Canada has less options so they can keep the prices down, sales numbers of the RAV are not as big as in other countries so they have to keep the price down by cutting options or putting in less expensive.

Drum brakes in the rear are cheaper than disc, no ABS standard lowers the base price, no stability or traction control lowers the price. I personnaly dont care about the ABS as it is problematic on steep descents offroad and I dont need traction control, I have automatic powered pedal traction control (left foot braking) :)

Course if you look, other manufacturers offer them all as standard on some with a lower price.

If Toyota Canada doesnt change that in the new 2006 model, the sales of the RAV will die off. People look at the price but also look at what you get. Reliability, quality etc are no longer the only selling point, everyone wants to see options. For example, Hyundai Tucson is about 2-3 grand cheaper and fully loaded. Yes its not as reliable in the long haul, but does anyone care past 5-10 years? I do which is why I bought a RAV but if you look at the sales numbers most dont.

Just my 2 cents, I think Toyota Canada is not on the ball. They only care about the camrys or corrolas and it shows.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rav4_at said:
Canada has less options so they can keep the prices down, sales numbers of the RAV are not as big as in other countries so they have to keep the price down by cutting options or putting in less expensive.

Drum brakes in the rear are cheaper than disc, no ABS standard lowers the base price, no stability or traction control lowers the price. I personnaly dont care about the ABS as it is problematic on steep descents offroad and I dont need traction control, I have automatic powered pedal traction control (left foot braking) :)

Course if you look, other manufacturers offer them all as standard on some with a lower price.

If Toyota Canada doesnt change that in the new 2006 model, the sales of the RAV will die off. People look at the price but also look at what you get. Reliability, quality etc are no longer the only selling point, everyone wants to see options. For example, Hyundai Tucson is about 2-3 grand cheaper and fully loaded. Yes its not as reliable in the long haul, but does anyone care past 5-10 years? I do which is why I bought a RAV but if you look at the sales numbers most dont.

Just my 2 cents, I think Toyota Canada is not on the ball. They only care about the camrys or corrolas and it shows.
I totally agree with you. I chose the RAV4 over the others simply due to Toyota quality. However, I must admit that, compared to other vehicles, it seems like Toyota Canada is intentionally trying to sway customers away from the RAV4. When I look at the US RAV4, I just shake my head and scratch my chin, wondering why the Canadian RAV4s are relatively inferior to the competition and to other RAV4s around the world. I've met people who bought the Honda Element (I almost did) and CR-V, and the reason they picked the two over the RAV4 overwhelmingly was: VALUE. For only a grand or two more, they got a bigger vehicle, plus a bunch of other things, such as ABS, four-wheel disc brakes, etc.

I don't understand... Toyota Canada doesn't seem to neglect the other SUVs, such as the Highlander or 4Runner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that the Canadian Highlanders and 4Runners have exactly the same options as (or at least very similar to) the US models.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Can't blame the dealers......they're just as pissed with Toyota Canada as we are!!! They can't get the number of vehicles they want, nor the packages that sell.
I'd like to have ABS but only if you could switch it off in winter.....had it in my'98 RAV and liked it......could steer while standing on the blakes. Rear disc brakes I'd never want again.....they don't work hard enough and therefore require too much maintenance......no matter what make!!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bluenoser said:
Can't blame the dealers......they're just as pissed with Toyota Canada as we are!!! They can't get the number of vehicles they want, nor the packages that sell.
I'd like to have ABS but only if you could switch it off in winter.....had it in my'98 RAV and liked it......could steer while standing on the blakes. Rear disc brakes I'd never want again.....they don't work hard enough and therefore require too much maintenance......no matter what make!!!
Honestly, I don't see any real advantage with four-wheel disc brakes. I'm not a physicist or a mechanical engineer, but since a vast majority of braking power is concentrated in the front wheels, what's the point with having rear discs? As you mentioned, rear discs are a real burden to maintain.

it's interesting that a vast majority of the 4.2 RAV4s I see in Vancouver have either option Package C or D. I see a few Chilis, even fewer Package B models, and hardly any base models. I even wonder why Toyota Canada even offers the base model, given that I haven't seen a single base model 2004 or 2005 on the streets! :roll:

Ironically, the 4.2 RAV4s that I see on Vancouver streets that turn my head are the American RAV4s... the ones with the gray-coloured bumpers and side moldings (I don't remember which option trim).

Remember... regardless of the options, the RAV4 is still a Toyota under the skin... unsurpassed reliability.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To add to my whinning :) Toyota Canada also does not offer many accessories for the RAV. You cant get any grill guard or nudge bar(I know you can buy elsewhere) etc but you will void the warranty according to Toyota cause of airbag compatibility etc.

My response was, then why does toyota in other parts of the world have them, I guess they dont care about the airbags or safety??
They said, they are different companies so they accept different rules and regulations.

Kudos to the rest of the world toyota's for allowing more than just "seat covers" for customization. The RAV's are awesome vehicles but Toyota Canada is making them seem like cheapo's you buy before upgrading to something bigger and better.

I dont think its worth going to the chili and L C D M R whatever models as all you get is fenders, ABS, painted bumpers, sometimes leather and bigger tires for a heafty price when most of those are standard on other vehicles.

My dealer said unofficially its cause the RAV doesnt sell as well as they would like, I said gee I wonder why. They are targeting the wrong audience I think. They are targeting families. Families dont want something small, manuverable and expensive with no options. They want behemoths and a ton of so called "safety" options. They need to target the customizing folk who want to travel, offroad a little, look good etc, Its what jeep does and nissan and it shows.

The X-trail just came to canada and it is selling like hotcakes here. They didnt take options away when they brought it, the X-trail comes pretty loaded.

Maybe the 2006 RAV will be toyota canada's saving grace?? If they care.

Just my 1 cent and grumbles :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Maybe this is a bit more "grassy knoll" of me, but I am beginning to wonder -- based on the new and larger 2006 pics -- whether Toyota world-wide hasn't simply abandoned the RAV4 as a sporty, customizable fun-mobile in favor of their new children at Scion. TRD is pretty much all but gone, while Scion's xB touts "thousands of customizable options".

I myself wanted a factory nav system and diesel, both of which are available elsewhere but not the US.

Wayne

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rav4_at said:
My dealer said unofficially its cause the RAV doesnt sell as well as they would like, I said gee I wonder why. They are targeting the wrong audience I think. They are targeting families. Families dont want something small, manuverable and expensive with no options. They want behemoths and a ton of so called "safety" options. They need to target the customizing folk who want to travel, offroad a little, look good etc, Its what jeep does and nissan and it shows.

The X-trail just came to canada and it is selling like hotcakes here. They didnt take options away when they brought it, the X-trail comes pretty loaded.

Maybe the 2006 RAV will be toyota canada's saving grace?? If they care.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear from a dealer that the RAV4s don't sell as well as expected, but it all depends on the locale, I guess. I assume that in bigger cities, they sell better (compared to other vehicles) than in smaller cities, merely because of styling and option packages. Here in Vancouver, we see a lot of Package C and D. I saw no shortage of RAV4s south of the border, but only in the bigger cities. Maybe it's just my own observations.

Yeah, the X-Trail is one heck of an automobile, eh? Honestly, I've never stepped inside of one, but just from its looks and reviews from auto pros, they seem to be versatile and well-loaded with options... the big sunroof, for instance. They took some "elements" from the Honda Element, such as the wipe-down floors (which the Xterra also incorporated).

I'll definitely keep my RAV4 for a while. Will I buy another Toyota compact SUV the next time around? I seriously would, but I would also check what Honda and Nissan has to offer as well.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My big disappointment is that in Canada none have the side curtin airbags. I can not fathom why that could be available in the US, but not here.

But I bought another Rav anyway :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts