1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the looks of the European version better :shock:

US

European

Slightly shorter length gives it a SPORTIER appearance 8)
Comments?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've never been a fan of the 2 DR ( sorry Kelly) so I like the longer profile of the US version. Now if they can get rid or the spare on the rear and add a hatch instead of a door while not loosing the cargo height I need for my bikes........Don't want too much do I? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the new 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara looks more like what the 4.3 RAV4 should look like?

The Grand Vitara's design seems like an evolution of the 4.2, and the new RAV's design seems like a complete revolution from the previous model. But then again, the 4.2 design was completely radical from the 4.1s. :?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kelly, do you think Toyota will sell both long and short wheelbase RAV4s; like they do with the Tacomas? As I recall, the new double cab Tacomas are offered with the short or long bed.

I too prefer the shorter RAV for appearances, even if the 3rd row seat is sacrificed. :D

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derek said:
Kelly, do you think Toyota will sell both long and short wheelbase RAV4s; like they do with the Tacomas?
Might happen in later years... but I doubt it. Toyota has already officially announced that the US version will be longer than the European model :?

C

·
0 Posts
Wait... so the 4 Bangers are going to be the long base model to!!! I was thinking the 4 bangers were going to be the shorter one and the V6 would be longer =(

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
If we shorten the front end of the 4.3 (North American version), add sliding doors then we would have a mini van. :lol:

The Suzuki is definatly like a simpler, boxier hard edged version of the 4.2. It is definitely a big improvement for them. As for the 4.3 it’s interesting how Toyota went the other direction into a softer curve look.

As for the 4.2.
If you take a look at what Gandini's Lamborghini Diablo design you can see 2 references I’d like to make regarding sporty looks giving a feeling of motion which the Rav 4.2 has. First the side edge starting just before the wheel well and rising towards the back of the car. Another is the angled wheel well (4.3 has too).
Other than that there is also the indent above the F wheels makes the quarter panel flare out.

Personally thought the 4.3 would have a bit of a wider stance and a wicked front end like the Blue Rav concept image having some hard edges. But also a wicked rear to match.

J

·
0 Posts
The rear door and the rear quarterlight is considerably shorter on the European version, which suits me!

If the new European model is longer than the current RAV4, I shall not be buying one. If I wanted a larger SUV, I would be looking to buy a Diesel BMW X3.

I need a small SUV with room for five passengers-max, not a 4 wheel drive 7 seat people carrier for the school-run.

E

·
0 Posts
John-Boy said:
If the new European model is longer than the current RAV4, I shall not be buying one. If I wanted a larger SUV, I would be looking to buy a Diesel BMW X3.
It is longer......145 mm

J

·
0 Posts
145mm longer is too much for me, I have a limited parking space.

I will either trade in my 2 year-old RAV for the XT- R version or hang onto it for another year or two and then see what is available from other manufacturers. :(

C

·
0 Posts
The Rav4 isn't going to be MUCH bigger a bit, but I think you should drive it, park it etc.. and see for yourself. Those are just numbers and I'm hearing that some of the numbers are a bit exaggerated (the front and rear sticking out a little bit extra for instance).

J

·
0 Posts
I shall probably wait for the new model to hit the streets, book a test drive and then make up my mind. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Kelly Smith said:
I like the looks of the European version better :shock:

<snip!>

Slightly shorter length gives it a SPORTIER appearance 8)
Comments?
Well, according to the preliminary specs, the North American edition has a 4.2" (107mm) longer wheelbase and is 8" (203mm) longer overall when both have the rear-mounted spare -- removing the spare from the Euro makes it an 11.2" (283mm) difference. The two photos are just a hair off on scale when you crunch the numbers.

To me, the shorter .3 looks just a little abbreviated for some reason -- kind of like the previous generations of 2-doors, but the lines balance out the vehicle better as a whole, especially noticible in the side rear window. And maybe it's just the difference in lighting, but the Euro's lower body creases and contour lines appear to be more well-defined. Unfortunately, I'll probably never see the Euro up close and in person, so I'll have to rely on just the life-sized NA edition.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Derek said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the new 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara looks more like what the 4.3 RAV4 should look like?

The Grand Vitara's design seems like an evolution of the 4.2, and the new RAV's design seems like a complete revolution from the previous model. But then again, the 4.2 design was completely radical from the 4.1s. :?
Said it before, I'll say it again... the new Grand Vitara looks like a RAV4.2 Saturn VUE crossbreed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts