Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to buy my 4 door some new tires. Which have you used and think are the best choices by brand?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Do some research on tirerack.com.

A popular choice here is the Firestone Destination LE2. Have those on our RAV4 and they have been great. Reduced road noise and excellent traction.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
We are very happy with out YOKOHAMAs on our 2005, rain, shine, snow or whatever the road throws at us. Wear to this point has been excellent. They have proven themselves to be great SNOW tires with our last storm as well. My girlfriend LOVES how her RAV4 handles in adverse conditions!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Which Yokohama?

We are very happy with out YOKOHAMAs on our 2005, rain, shine, snow or whatever the road throws at us. Wear to this point has been excellent. They have proven themselves to be great SNOW tires with our last storm as well. My girlfriend LOVES how her RAV4 handles in adverse conditions!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
YK-HTX, gotten through Discount Tire. I HEAR us RAV4ers get a....pardon the pun....discount there as they are one of our sponsors but I am not certain how that works. Someone else that knows may chime in.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Those are all-seasons, not winter tires, and you do okay with them in Colorado?

YK-HTX, gotten through Discount Tire. I HEAR us RAV4ers get a....pardon the pun....discount there as they are one of our sponsors but I am not certain how that works. Someone else that knows may chime in.....

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
This is our ski car. We go EVERYWHERE in the Winter with it. I have a Tacoma 4WD as well and we still take the 2005 on our ski trips. My girlfriend is from Michigan so is used to driving in adverse Snowy conditions and she LOVES this car. And she really likes how these tires handle in the Snow. During our last storm, there were 45 mph winds and she had to break through some 2+ foot drifts to get out of our neighborhood. She called me giggling about how well the car did! They are "Mud and Snow" rated. That way we don't have to change tires out at the change of seasons. My Tacoma has all-seasons tires as well. Yes, being a native Coloradoan, I am used to driving in Snow, but that doesn't matter; what does is the traction the vehicle has and RAV4's are great Winter cars. If you want the best "bad-ass" Winter tire, Google Hakkapeliitta 8: studded tires from Norway, I believe. They have been discussed on this forum so a search may also get you some good information.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting. In most comparison tests AWD with AS tires does worse than 2 wheel drive with good snows

This is our ski car. We go EVERYWHERE in the Winter with it. I have a Tacoma 4WD as well and we still take the 2005 on our ski trips. My girlfriend is from Michigan so is used to driving in adverse Snowy conditions and she LOVES this car. And she really likes how these tires handle in the Snow. During our last storm, there were 45 mph winds and she had to break through some 2+ foot drifts to get out of our neighborhood. She called me giggling about how well the car did! They are "Mud and Snow" rated. That way we don't have to change tires out at the change of seasons. My Tacoma has all-seasons tires as well. Yes, being a native Coloradoan, I am used to driving in Snow, but that doesn't matter; what does is the traction the vehicle has and RAV4's are great Winter cars. If you want the best "bad-ass" Winter tire, Google Hakkapeliitta 8: studded tires from Norway, I believe. They have been discussed on this forum so a search may also get you some good information.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm..... Well, as we say in the business, "State your source". I, for one, would love to see those studies or wherever the data came from. I think it is whatever one is comfortable with. If true snow tires seem to be better for YOU, get them. I have NEVER had problems with all-season tires on ANY vehicle I have driven, and I have MANY miles in all kinds of adverse weather and in many different vehicles, including two wheel drive. But, as always, YMMV.....:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
smoother drive?

Interesting discussion. I live near San Fran and at my age don't do the snow thing. Mostly I drive crappy pot-holey freeways so look for a smoother drive, if that's possible with AWD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't see the video (why can't people just write words?) but I can relate my own experience. For ten years, I had a Saturn FWD and a driveway that is about 300 feet long and over 50 feet up. It gets covered with snow, icy snow, ice, and slick mud. Chains always work well, but they are a pain. For years, I have used "spiders", which are easier than chains to put on and remove. But the best solution was Blizzak tires. They let my FWD Saturn go up and down. Only a few times I had to use the Bobcat and chain to pull the Saturn up the hill.

I got Blizzak tires for the RAV4 and they are doing well. We have only a few inches of snow, but it has partially melted and the RAV4 is climbing it with no trouble at all. It looks like the RAV4 and Blizzak tires are unstoppable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have continental truecontact 265/65r17
Tirerack.com recommended them barely over Michelin Defender
They work fine so far, no snow yet
But I spend more time commuting to/from work than offroad

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
I liked the Firestone Destination ATs on my Trailblazer but they weren't available in a size for the RAV4 so, I put an Old Man Emu Lift kit on and put them on anyway, however I still had some trouble. The 235/75R16 Firestone Destination A/T (tirerack.com) tires have a 30" diameter and caused some rubbing issues that I had to repair with the judicious use of an implement of destruction (4lb hammer) to the raised areas at the rear of the front fender wells and by using wheel spacers.) If you put on a lower profile tire it may work. I've been in sand, mud, snow, wet grass... you name it they go without a problem and road noise isn't too bad.

They look awesome!!:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
MarionEvans. Yes, I know of the 235/70r16 size but I was more afraid of the width than the height of the tire, but who knows without actually trying which one would have worked out best. I also wanted as much ground clearance as I could get without having to make major drive train mods. I have no trouble with the rear tires only the fronts, didn't want to use spacers but I already had the tires, when these are replaced I'll probably go to a lower profile tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts