Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how long each of you waited for a 2023 Rav4 Hybrid, or at least how long the dealer has told you it will be. I'm eastern NC and just seeing in-transit inventory come online on all of the area dealer websites, but ofcourse they are probably spoken for.

I may end up with the gas version just because I'm not patient. This thread will help me decide if the wait is worth it. Thanks!

Edit: I see that there is a thread regarding waits in Canada, I started this one because they come from different factories and I think it's likely that wait times are different in the US. Thanks again.

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,441 Posts
I'm curious how long each of you waited for a 2023 Rav4 Hybrid, or at least how long the dealer has told you it will be. I'm eastern NC and just seeing in-transit inventory come online on all of the area dealer websites, but ofcourse they are probably spoken for.

I may end up with the gas version just because I'm not patient. This thread will help me decide if the wait is worth it. Thanks!

Edit: I see that there is a thread regarding waits in Canada, I started this one because they come from different factories and I think it's likely that wait times are different in the US. Thanks again.
Different allocations even from the same factories. You could be 2 miles away from the Canada factory and wait 18 months where someone from the US at a large dealer might wait 3. Depends on the parts inventory how many of your model with your options they can build and how many Toyotas your dealer has sold in previous quarters.

I've bought 2 Toyotas up in Md just to get to a bigger dealer and away from the Southeast Toyota surcharges and add-ons. I live in Sanford, NC.

· Registered
76 Posts
Normal wait time the first half of the year seemed to be about six months. Now it could be longer since hybrid demand spiked after Russia invaded Ukraine. If you’re flexible as to color and trim level you might get one sooner if someone on a dealers waiting list cancels. If you’re dealing with one of the few dealers who are selling at MSRP (today’s version of a bargain price) be prepared for a lengthy wait. If you drive around 12,000 miles annually, or less you might find less of an advantage with a hybrid in my opinion.

· Registered
Paint Code 040
64 Posts
H1 - Commercial: Restricted Vehicle – Approval Required
Next available delivery in July for orders received by December 12, 2022
H2 - Livery: Restricted Vehicle – Approval Required
H5 - Licensee: Limited Availability - Matrix Required
H7 - Government: Restricted Vehicle – Approval Required

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Different allocations even from the same factories. You could be 2 miles away from the Canada factory and wait 18 months where someone from the US at a large dealer might wait 3. Depends on the parts inventory how many of your model with your options they can build and how many Toyotas your dealer has sold in previous quarters.

I've bought 2 Toyotas up in Md just to get to a bigger dealer and away from the Southeast Toyota surcharges and add-ons. I live in Sanford, NC.
Cool, I've considered going to VA, the Norfolk area has many dealers. They seem to add black badging for 150, rather than what we get here (600+ paint sealant and $75 phone cables). I may end up doing that.

I got the 2016 Prius when it was new, "ordered" it in Wilmington NC, and was able to negotiate away the add ons. I'm guessing that's impossible now. :)

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Normal wait time the first half of the year seemed to be about six months. Now it could be longer since hybrid demand spiked after Russia invaded Ukraine. If you’re flexible as to color and trim level you might get one sooner if someone on a dealers waiting list cancels. If you’re dealing with one of the few dealers who are selling at MSRP (today’s version of a bargain price) be prepared for a lengthy wait. If you drive around 12,000 miles annually, or less you might find less of an advantage with a hybrid in my opinion.
Yes, I prefer the hybrid b/c I hear the gas engine is quite loud and underpowered. It's not even a big deal I guess. I drive about 8K per year on each car, usually in a small city. My cars tend to sit in the garage alot. I also keep the cars 10-12 years, so hopefully I'll break even, but that doesn't matter as much as the engine power IMO.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
H1 - Commercial: Restricted Vehicle – Approval Required
H2 - Livery: Restricted Vehicle – Approval Required
H5 - Licensee: Limited Availability - Matrix Required
H7 - Government: Restricted Vehicle – Approval Required
Cool, where did you find that? I guess as a normal old consumer I'm a "License" ? What does Matrix Required mean?

Thanks! I'm an amateur.

· Registered
76 Posts
Yes, I prefer the hybrid b/c I hear the gas engine is quite loud and underpowered. It's not even a big deal I guess. I drive about 8K per year on each car, usually in a small city. My cars tend to sit in the garage alot. I also keep the cars 10-12 years, so hopefully I'll break even, but that doesn't matter as much as the engine power IMO.
The gas engine in the hybrid is the same engine as in non hybrid so the sound is the same and not louder than non Toyota engines. Plus the gas/ICE engine runs a lot of the time on a hybrid and at highway speeds it’s on nearly all the time. The HP difference is negligible with the hybrid having 219HP and the ICE only, 203HP.

Honestly, unless you want a hybrid because, at 8,000 miles a year it’s going take a few years for the annual fuel cost savings to surpass the added cost of the hybrid. Plus you can buy a non hybrid easier in this market with a shorter wait time.

· Registered
423 Posts
"I'm curious how long each of you waited for a 2023 Rav4 Hybrid "..
Just bought a Highlander Hybrid LE. Had to go out-of-State, but from deposit to delivery took 3 weeks. Picked up the 2023 Highlander yesterday.

Last fall, bought a 2021 RAV 4 Hybrid LE, 5 weeks after putting down a deposit. Delivered Nov 17th, 2021. It seems in both cases, the LE models were more available. Both types are built in the US.
We weren't picky about the color.
Both had to sell for MSRP, with no markup, and minimum extra "features" No paint or fabric treatment B.S. . Both cars we had to pay for mats, RAV 4 Hybrid had special Ruby Flare paint surcharge.
Rav 4 Hybrid is a great car, we are getting 45 MPG in summer driving. Good in snow with proper snow tires. Will see how the Highlander Hybrid does, but we needed larger car to tow a boat.

· Registered
423 Posts
The gas engine in the hybrid is the same engine as in non hybrid so the sound is the same and not louder than non Toyota engines. Plus the gas/ICE engine runs a lot of the time on a hybrid and at highway speeds it’s on nearly all the time. The HP difference is negligible with the hybrid having 219HP and the ICE only, 203HP.

Honestly, unless you want a hybrid because, at 8,000 miles a year it’s going take a few years for the annual fuel cost savings to surpass the added cost of the hybrid. Plus you can buy a non hybrid easier in this market with a shorter wait time.
The RAV 4 Hybrid LE comes with 17 inch alloy wheels. Not the plastic covers on steel wheels of the regular RAV 4 LE IC version. Rav 4 Hybrid has more sophisticated eCVT, for lower noise level and fuel efficiency. All Rav 4 Hybrids have All Wheel Drive, with rear motor MG2 only requiring power when front wheels lose traction. So you don't have a drive shaft sending power to rear axle; less friction. .
Nothing wrong with the 45 MPG we are getting with our RAV 4 Hybrid either..

· Registered
52 Posts
In the Portland, Oregon area, the wait times are around 2-3 months. Less at a very big dealership like Vancouver Toyota and higher for specific models. A friend at work waited about six weeks from putting down a deposit to taking delivery of his Limited. The sales team told him that the most sought after RAV4 models at the dealership he bought are the Hybrids in the XSE and the XLE Premium trims. The LE is fairly easy to acquire. It could because a lot of rental Hybrid LEs are starting to flood dealer lots on my neck of the woods. Also, the Prime wait list is a close to 12 months, but despite that the actual delivery times are measured in years. Apparently, Japanese Factories are being hit especially hard by the supply shortages. Hence why newly manufactured Japanese Built Lexus Models are as rare as hen's teeth right now.

· Premium Member
532 Posts

They are not identical 2.5L.

ICE Only is the A25A-FKS
Hybrid is the A25A-FXS.

Hybrid runs on the Atkinson Cycle, has slightly higher compression, and has different tuning for low end.

So, similar, yet not identical.

· Registered
2 Posts
I got put on a "waitlist" for an XLE Premium at a MSRP dealership in California. They wouldn't let you place an order or take a deposit...they get cars allocated and then they call and ask you if you want it. I joined the waitlist October and last week they called and said they had an XLE and SE available, but not XLE Premium 🙁 If I expand my options to include Limited trim do you think that I could get one faster?

· Registered
52 Posts
I got put on a "waitlist" for an XLE Premium at a MSRP dealership in California. They wouldn't let you place an order or take a deposit...they get cars allocated and then they call and ask you if you want it. I joined the waitlist October and last week they called and said they had an XLE and SE available, but not XLE Premium 🙁 If I expand my options to include Limited trim do you think that I could get one faster?
I can't say for your California Dealer, but at my local dealer, picking a Limited will get you into a vehicle sooner. Actually, originally, I wanted an XLE Premium as well, but a Limited came up earlier, hence why I bought it instead.

· Registered
2 Posts
I can't say for your California Dealer, but at my local dealer, picking a Limited will get you into a vehicle sooner. Actually, originally, I wanted an XLE Premium as well, but a Limited came up earlier, hence why I bought it instead.
Thank you for your reply. I remembered reading somewhere that XLE is the most popular trim, wait time would be longest for those (was surprised when that was available first), and more expensive trims like Limited would have the shorter wait time. Just wanted to see if that actually might be true.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts